FredCDobbs

What Are You Watching Now?

2,410 posts in this topic

​Has Anybody Seen My Gal​--for some reason, I thought I'd seen this 1952 film...until I actually watched it.  Sounds like a musical, but it's not--it's a comedy with some serious overtones, and is really pretty good. Although he gets third billing, Charles Coburn is the star, very much in his More the Merrier​ character as the cantankerous old guy who moves in and disrupts the status quo.  Here, he is a very wealthy man, with no family to leave the $ to, so he decides to leave it to the family of the woman who turned him down when he was young...his thinking is if she hadn't, he wouldn't have gone off and made a fortune.  He manages to move in with her daughter, Lynn Bari, and her family to see if they are 'deserving' and gives them ( anonymously) a bit of it (100 grand)--in the 20's, that was quite a gift.  Social climber Bari gets carried away and the whole family is affected-- most notably the romance between daughter Piper Laurie and Rock Hudson, and the happiness of young daughter Gigi Perreau (who is a scene stealer).  If you watch closely, you can see soda-jerk Hudson serving young James Dean at the local drugstore.  Nice, even if a little predictable, story line and good performances...particularly Perreau and Coburn.

It's directed by Douglas Sirk. Hudson worked with him several times, but usually not in this genre. 

The Night Walker ​(1964)--William Castle + Barbara Stanwyck...what's not to like?  There were only a couple Castle 'thrillers' I hadn't seen..this was one.  Stanwyck stars as an unhappy wife of a blind/disfigured man, who isn't a bit sad when he blows himself up (or does he?) but she has recurring dreams (or does she?) of him and handsome Lloyd Bochner that drive her over the edge.  Her trusted friend (or is he?) Robert Taylor tries to help her sort them out, and find out who, or what, Bochner represents.  If you're a Castle fan, the end won't surprise you much..as he generally gives the abnormal a perfectly normal explanation.  Stanwyck, in her late 50's, and a blonde, does a good job playing along.  What's missing is the fun/schlock Castle sometimes used (although the 'wedding' scene with the mannequin audience is pretty good..).  

I'm watching Ann Sothern's guest appearances from season 3 of The Lucy Show. She and Lucy work so well together in these...they're hilarious. The episodes are on Hulu.

"The Grand Inquisitor" (2008)--Knockout short film by Eddie Muller.  If TCM ends up not showing this, it's on YouTube.  I hope TCM shows it, movie is worth the watch.

It's airing today on TCM. Late afternoon.

The Carol Burnett Show episode in which Betty Grable and Martha Raye guest star. I love both of them, so it was quite the treat for me to find this, and on YouTube, no less. There really was no one who could mug as well as Martha, my goodness. 

The Carol Burnett Show episode in which Betty Grable and Martha Raye guest star. I love both of them, so it was quite the treat for me to find this, and on YouTube, no less. There really was no one who could mug as well as Martha, my goodness. 

She was wonderful..I always loved her take on classic films...I can't see a reference to GWTW without thinking of Burnett wearing those velvet drapes!

Ever since watching the Shelley Long movies "Troop Beverly Hills" (with Craig T. Nelson) and "Outrageous Fortune" (with Bette Midler), I have been wanting to start watching the tv show "Cheers." I finally realized that it was on Netflix in its entirety, and have been watching it for a few days now. I'm on episode 10 now.