Sign in to follow this  
HollywoodGolightly

What movies would you like to see at the 2011 festival?

9 posts in this topic

So, since there is a thread for the "dream guests", I thought perhaps we could have one to list all of the movies you would like to see at the 2011 TCM Film Festival.

One of the movies I would like to see at next year's festival would be the UCLA-restored version of Becky Sharp, the first feature in 3-strip Technicolor. Although second-rate copies of the movie are in the public domain and easy to find, the restored one has only played at a handful of festivals in the U.S.

Another thing I would like to see at the 2011 festival would be a few classic 3-D movies - Dial M for Murder and Hondo come to mind immediately - hopefully projected in 35mm (although even a digital copy would be better than nothing).

Perhaps also a restored version of The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm or This is Cinerama, of course shown at the Cinerama Dome (assuming TCM can rent it for a night or two).

I would love to see Somerset Maugham's "The Letter" (Betty Davis, 1940)

And how about screening all three film versions of his short story "Rain" one right after the other! (Gloria Swanson 1928, Joan Crawford 1932, and Rita Hayworth 1953).

- Kathie

> {quote:title=hulaskater wrote:}{quote}

> And how about screening all three film versions of his short story "Rain" one right after the other! (Gloria Swanson 1928, Joan Crawford 1932, and Rita Hayworth 1953).

It's not a bad idea. There are quite a few classic movies which were different versions of the same story, perhaps they could also show the two different versions of The Desert Song, or the silent version of Beau Geste.

Hope our friends at the Meet the People Behind TCM Panel are reading this as they often say they do. I think I've got THE idea for next year. See if you don't agree.

Being the world's biggest old timey comedy fan I suggest...

A Large Panel Discussion - one hour (perhaps we'll need two hours?) with the surviving cast members of It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World. How much fun would this be? Still alive.

Sid Caesar, Carl Reiner, Stan Freberg, Marvin Kaplan, Mickey Rooney, Peter Falk and Jonathan Winters on stage talkin' hilarious anecdotes prior to a screening of the film. And who would you get to moderate?

Why none other than Dick Cavett.

And of course, if Cavett isn't available then I'll do it, ha ha. *cough*

Anyway... I'm serious. I'll do it.

Seriously.

*"Being the world's biggest old timey comedy fan I suggest...

A Large Panel Discussion - one hour (perhaps we'll need two hours?) with the surviving cast members of "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World." How much fun would this be?"* - AllenJenkins

Nice idea - though I think something very similar was done at the American Cinematheque/Egyptian in the recent past.

As an alternate idea, what would think to a similar event devoted to The Russians Are Coming. The Russians Are Coming? Besides Norman Jewison, I believe virtually all of the major cast members are still kicking - Carl Reiner, Alan Arkin, Eva Marie Saint, - save for John Philip Law. Even Theodore Bikel is still around and so is Jonathan Winters.

Selfishly, I enjoy "Russians" a lot more than "Mad World".

Kyle In Hollywood

Well, Forbidden Planet would be fun to see on the big screen - maybe as one of those midnight shows - and Leslie Nielson is alive and well, always game and always looking for work. Maybe Robbie the Robot could be brought in - sci-fi collector Bob Burns could probably arrange to have him crash through a brick wall (oh, wait that's the Kool-Aid man i'm thinking of).

It's been a couple of weeks now since this suggestion of "Forbidden Planet" was made, and over the past couple of weeks it has popped into my thoughts a number of times. There are many other films that I would have chosen first, but after thinking about it, I think this film would be wonderful to see on the large screen. The rich colors, creative special effects and huge spaces portrayed, and the different sci-fi sound effects that they came up with, would be wonderful in a large theater. Very much a film made to be seen in a theater.

Thank you Allen Jenkins for suggesting it. I hope that TCM considers this one.