Sign in to follow this  
AllenJenkins

My Final Take on TCM Film Festival

8 posts in this topic

The week was so busy, I was barely able to file reports longer than a couple paragraphs. Well, I've finally made up for that. I hope you will all find it entertaining. From Ann Rutherford to Jim Backus, Corn Beef Sandwiches to Bob's Big Boy.

[Here It Is|http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2010/04/live-blogging-from-my-home-after-the-tcm-classic-film-festival-part-seven.html] .

Very nice re-cap of your weekend adventure, 'AllenJenkins'. It sounds like you got everything out of the Classic Film Festival that you hoped to take from it. (I really should have made an effort to see *Suuny Side Up*. "Growing palm trees and ejaculating fountains"? Now there's something one doesn't see every day - even in Hollywood!)

I hope you are planning a return visit next year.

Kyle In Hollywood

Wonderfully, entertainingly and vividly written, Mr. Jenkins. I regret not going, but I'm living vicariously through posters' accounts of that weekend. I'm glad it was a success for TCM.

*I regret not going, but I'm living vicariously through posters' accounts of that weekend. I'm glad it was a success for TCM.*

Hope this means you are thinking about coming next year!

I agree with Allen?s observation that stars in ill health, such as Mr. Curtis, should limit their exposure as fans, such as myself, are often devastated to see their icons brought so low. I remember as a kid seeing the youthful and athletic Curtis in the swashbuckling comedy ?The Great Race,? co-starring film greats Jack Lemmon, Natalie Wood, and Peter Falk, with Curtis playing the role of the hero, "The Great Leslie". That's the way I want to remember him.

My brother had the opportunity to see John Wayne, who was in a thin and wasted condition, about a year before the Duke died. He told me afterwards that he was sorry saw the film legend at his most vulnerable. I know this may sound selfish, but I cherish my memories and have to find ways to protect them.

Cinecrazy DC

It's probably a bit like wanting certain actors and actresses to sit down and do a *Private Screening* with Robert O but at this point in their lives many of them want us to remember them they we they were on the big screen and not the way they are now, some don't want to deal with the hassles of traveling, others have retired and don't necessarily want to spend anymore time talking about their careers and others just prefer not talking about their career in Hollywood at all.

I think all of that makes it more challenging for TCM to get certain classic film stars that we would all love to see not only on *Private Screenings* but at the Film Festival as well.

TCM's VP of Talent, Darcy Hettrich did an amazing job for this year's Festival and I have no doubt she will do an equally great job next year.

It was a first class operation all the way, and I hope I can attend next year! :)