DakotaSiouxWoman

What your favorite Bogart/Bacall movie

23 posts in this topic

Definitely, The Big Sleep. Key Largo would be my number two, but Edward G Robinson is the main focus in that movie.

This is not a copout answer, because I've thought about this hard before, but I honestly think it's a tie between To Have and Have Not, Dark Passage, and the Big Sleep.

As someone else mentioned, Key Largo was Eddie G more than anyone else.

But the other three films I love equally, and can't pick one above the other. I've just never been able to rank them.

I agree on KEY LARGO, but it's not really a Bogart/Bacall movie like the others. Their interplay is not what makes the movie "tick".

The Big Sleep and To Have And Have Not, they are both outstanding in their own right, and even more so because of Bogey and Baby.

To Have and Have Not. I always loved how Marie did not just stand by while Steve did all the heroics but joined in and pulled her weight romantically and action-wise. She was much younger than he-as were Bogey and Bacall in real life-but she held her own and got her man. Her understanding of why Steve/Harry helped a drunken old man made us root for her too. Maybe she got more to do in the subsequent films they made together but this one still shines for me. I never learned to whistle either but who cares?

The Big Sleep . Why? it's so much fun! In fact, I regard it as more a comedy than a "crime" movie or a film noir. It's so damned funny, it makes me laugh too much to be a film noir. How about Bogart's visits to the two book stores, first with the snippy and uncooperative Agnes, who's probably being rude to him because he has deliberately made himself look like a nerd. But his next visit, to the second book shop, yields quite different results. Flirtatious Dorothy Malone decides that "they're closed for the rest of the day" and locks the door, the better to assist Bogie with his research. It's hilarious!

Also, the crisp and witty dialogue between Bogart and Bacall, an ongoing give and take game between them throughout the entire film. One of the funniest and sexiest scenes ever is the one in which Lauren Bacall (as Vivien) describes her idea of a good horse race, and everyone knows what she's really talking about. I almost blush every time I hear it.

Pretty Martha Vickers has a delightful little conversation with our man right at the beginning. She slinks up to him in her skimpy tennis suit, looks him over with her thumb in her mouth, and murmers "You're not very tall, are you?" "I try to be." he replies. Then she "tries to sit in his lap while he's standing up."

Now that I think about it, The Big Sleep, for these and many other reasons, is one of my all time favourite movies.

Edited by: misswonderly on May 22, 2010 1:33 PM

Edited by: misswonderly on May 22, 2010 3:21 PM

I pick To Have And Have Not. You could just feel their adoration for each other in real life, radiating off the screen.

Call me crazy, but Martha Vickers and Dorothy Malone are better in that movie than Bacall.

I've always been bothered by the fact that Vickers was largely written out of the final product to further the off screen appeal of Bogart and Bacall. She was awesome in the movie and deserved a better fate.

I enjoy the film but have always held this against the movie.

> {quote:title=primosprimos wrote:}{quote}

> The Big Sleep and To Have And Have Not, they are both outstanding in their own right, and even more so because of Bogey and Baby.

I'll second that.

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=primosprimos wrote:}{quote}

> > The Big Sleep and To Have And Have Not, they are both outstanding in their own right, and even more so because of Bogey and Baby.

>

>

> I'll second that.

I'll third it. ;)

*Dark Passage*. The point of view, the story, Agnes Moorehead at her meanest!

I have to say, I pick THE BIG SLEEP as my favorite too! Pretty easy to tell which part of the film is by far, my favorite 😁

I’m a private dick on a case. Perhaps I’m asking too much, although it doesn’t seem too much to me, somehow.

You know it just happens that I’ve got a bottle of pretty good rye in my pocket. I’d a lot rather get wet in here.

Well...looks like we’re closed for the rest of the afternoon.

I love Dark Passage.  I love the use of first-person perspective, I thought it was very well done.  The San Francisco scenery was fantastic.  I loved Lauren Bacall's apartment, including her amazing spiral staircase and credenza with built-in record player.  Agnes Moorehead was also amazing in this film. 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2010 at 8:23 PM, JefCostello said:

Call me crazy, but Martha Vickers and Dorothy Malone are better in that movie than Bacall.

I've always been bothered by the fact that Vickers was largely written out of the final product to further the off screen appeal of Bogart and Bacall. She was awesome in the movie and deserved a better fate.

I enjoy the film but have always held this against the movie.

Yea,  9 years for me to get around to a reply but I agree 100%;   Bacall wasn't a very good actress early in her film career and in The Big Sleep she is rather weak.   

Yea,  cutting out Vickers;  who would want to do such a thing!!!!    

Image result for martha vickers

While I love all 4 films, my ranking would be:

The Big Sleep,  To Have and Have Not,  Dark Passage and Key Largo.

Funny but Key Largo has the most stellar cast (E.G.  Trevor,  Barrymore, Gomez as a hood,,,),  but it lack romance (well until that ending scene) and the romantic banter between B&B is very enjoyable and key to the two Hawks films.

Key Largo (l948-WB') I think Edward G.-(Emmanuel Goldenberg (l893-l973) gave the performance of his life as Johnny Rocco & like *Bogey that year in Sierra Madre both were left out of the Oscars???