Im4movies2

Remakes of Musicals in general

114 posts in this topic

Say what you will, at the time, his show was the only one to employ top rate tap dancers. They made a living, entertained people and promoted tap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If not for Welk, they're would have been no live tap dancing on TV for that long period of time. He did something right!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

for those who get 'Ovation TV', from 6-6 to 6-20 they'll be showing "J.C. Superstar", "South Pacific" (2001), "Once Upon Mattress" ('05), "Joseph...Dreamcoat" & "Cats"

if interested, might be worth recording

schedule here: http://www.ovationtv.com/pages/6-theater

 

"South Pacific" & ".....Mattress" are remakes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That television version of *South Pacific* is abysmal! *Once Upon A Mattress* isn't much better. However, it is better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remakes are a bad idea period! However, I do have to say that when MGM undertook to remake some of their best loved comedies and dramas from the 30s into big budget musicals in the 1950s they came up with two of the best musical entertainments of that decade: High Society (a remake of the Philadelphia Story) and Silk Stockings (a remake of Ninotchka).

 

Both these musicals are top flight in every way and really stand out as exceptional entertainments of their own.

 

MGM had less luck with their glossy Technicolor remakes of the Merry Widow, starring Lana Turner as a non-singing widow in the role originally warbled by a luminous Jeanette MacDonald, and The Opposite Sex, that added songs to the classy George Cukor classic The Women and all but destroyed the appeal of that film for me.

 

MGM tried to go back to that well again in the 60s with Goodbye Mr. Chips. The formula was painfully out of touch and lacking with the superb Greer Garson and Robert Donat in the original 1939 weepie.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because in most of those musicals, the 'new talent" can't begin to compare to the old.

 

I would hate to see remakes of "Singin' in the Rain", "The Wizard of Oz", "Oklahoma!", "Carousel", "West Side Story", etc, with today's pop stars, if that's what you're thinking. And new technology does not necessarily mean a better film; in fact, in most cases it doesn't.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never seen Singin' In the Rain, so I've got nothing to compare here, but The Sound of Music, along with West Side Story and Wizard of Oz, to name afew examples, are films that should *never, ever* be remade! These films are classics for a reason, and remaking them would just cut the heart and soul right out of them! It would be a *disaster!*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm totally with you here, Im4movies. With extremely rare exceptions, remakes of movies are very seldom successful. There was a remake of Planet of the Apes, and a remake of Psycho at one point, *both* of which went over like lead balloons--inotherwords, they *totally* flopped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were also remakes of ROBERTA (LOVELY TO LOOK AT) and ROSE MARIE in the 50s with mixed results. The only saving grace of LOVELY TO LOOK AT was the fashion show finale directed by Vincente Minnelli otherwise the film was a total bore even with Jerome Kern's music. There was also a musical remake of KISMET which was based on the B'way musical. Another bore unfortunately directed by Minnelli. The original starred Dietrich and Ronald Coleman and was not much either. I rather enjoyed the remake of THE MERRY WIDOW with Lana Turner. Not up to the original but not a dud either. It was in Technicolor and the production was quite lavish with Turner as the gorgeous widow. .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually love the Howard Keel version of Kismet, although I agree that the original wasn't wonderful.

 

Although remakes in general annoy me, there have been several that I love. But the idea is to bring something different. Making a musical out of a comedy or drama sometimes works, but to remake a musical into another version of the same musical...there doesn't seem to be much point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For a long time they have threatened to remake "West Side Story" but with out the original songs?!! I imagine as long as Arthur Laurents is alive this will not happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the TV version of Oklahoma is actually much better than the film, but even if other disagree, it's still a great remake.

 

I see a point remaking a musical if the film was bad, or could have been done better. Camelot is a good example: remake that sucker!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the person who said that as a rule remakes tick him off. I'm not a fan of remaking anything, but at the same time I have to agree that there are several non-musical films from the 1930s that were remade as musicals in the 1950s that I absolutely adore.

 

The first is High Society, a remake of The Philadelphia Story (which I also love). Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra and Grace Kelly are valiant successors to Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant in the original and the songs by Cole Porter are all show stoppers.

 

Also love Silke Stockings, the musical remake of Ninotchka that I actually find superior to the Garbo original non-musical comedy. Fred Astaire and Cyd Charisse do this remake proud and Porter again gives us vintage tunes not to be forgotten.

 

By the mid-50s and onward musical remakes of this sort were pretty awful however. If you've seen the musical version of Frank Capra's Lost Horizon, or the musical version of Goodbye Mr. Chips then you know exactly what I mean! El stinko times ten!!!!

 

I disagree with the person about TV's Oklahoma! I've always been a huge fan of the film version. Saw it in Todd A-O projection in a theater and it just floored me.

 

I'll agree that Camelot was not a stellar musical but I don't want to see it remade either.

I've heard Emma Thompson is remaking My Fair Lady. Oh no! The only credence I give such nonsense is that hopefully it will inspire the original film to be released on Blu-ray and DVD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=ericsvdwsi8 wrote:}{quote}

> The TV version of the UK revival of Oklahoma! with Hugh Jackman isn't bad.

 

Isn't bad? I think it's great and the choreography is spectacular. Having said that, it's a filmed version of the London stage production which is based on the original Broadway show and is in no way a remake of the movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=WSSfan wrote:}{quote}

> I've never seen Singin' In the Rain, so I've got nothing to compare here, but The Sound of Music, along with West Side Story and Wizard of Oz, to name afew examples, are films that should *never, ever* be remade! These films are classics for a reason, and remaking them would just cut the heart and soul right out of them! It would be a *disaster!*

 

 

I don't know if remaking them would cut the heart and soul out of them, but they would certainly bomb at the box office. Particularly WIZARD OF OZ and THE SOUND OF MUSIC, which remain two of the most popular films of all-time. There simply isn't an audience for new versions, since the current audience has embraced the originals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I disagree , really disagree. I did not enjoy it at all, the Movie version could have been a little more on point as to 'the hired hand' but it was 1955.

No, I can not agree I found the choreography fascinating and the singing by Gorden Macrae over the top.That man had a voice that no one has ever came close to. As Shirley Jones said, with all the demons he was fighting and the amount of time they spent making the movie being unheard of even now , it is breathtaking.

To each his own, I am not a critic, I just like what I like!

Hugh Jackman I like much as an actor but the voice is not close, and I understand it is no contest. What a musical, running 10 years and then they made the movie. I do not compare it to any other, be it England's version, as for me it is one that would be disrespectful to do so. As I listened to Ms Jones relate the making of the movie, staying slim? she did it by eating three vegetables a day. I simply adore it. Carousel? the American choreographer was ahead of her time.

 

Edited by: pamala on May 30, 2011 1:58 PM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's true we really can't compare the Hugh Jackman Oklahoma with the movie because it is a filmed play. I definitely prefer the Susan Stroman choreography, though, in that, but I do love the cast in the film.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If todays hollywood could do a remake without completely ruining the originals integrity, i'd agree. However, we dont have the talent, on or off camera, to pull it off. Look at the slew of recent remakes - Arthur, Straw Dogs, Guess Whos coming to Dinner, Karate Kid, I spit on your grave, Wolfman- just to name a few, and how awful they are. And then trying to find someone who even comes close to Gene Kelly's talent? theyd just butcher it. This generation just couldnt hack it. Plus, they wouldnt spend the money for the sets like they used to, so do you really want to see Justin Beiber in CGI'd rain? No thanks. Classics are classics for a reason - they may not be new but they still apply and awe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's interesting how they are making musicals based on non-musical cult movies....Little Shop of Horrors, Hairspray, the Producers, etc, etc,,..but I have to ask if it is really necessary to do a musical remake of Footloose??

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The movie version of the "The Producers" musical was horrendous. "Footloose" was remade because Hollywood will remake anything with a commercial title.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=flash70 wrote:}{quote}it's interesting how they are making musicals based on non-musical cult movies....Little Shop of Horrors, Hairspray, the Producers, etc, etc,,..but I have to ask if it is really necessary to do a musical remake of Footloose??

Well, the original wasn't a musical, so it's no different than the others. I haven't seen it, but in the case of HAIRSPRAY and THE PRODUCERS, the musical versions are inferior to the original films.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard that Barbra Streisand still intends to do a remake of Gypsy with of course her turn as doing MaMa Rose and directing, If Barbra really wants a bone fide swan song and retire for good that would do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The idea of Streisand playing Rose is preposterious, to me. She's supposed to be a woman with very young children. Are they adopted? She went from being 30 years too young for Dolly to 30 years too old for Rose. Being way too old, and with her limited acting ability, I'll pass. If, it ever gets made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is just a general statement,as for myself, I believe all or most movies have been remade , I was much older than I care to remember when I found out that most sitcoms started out in the United Kingdom..... Spain and so on. A little rework for U.S.audiences and there you go.

 

"Mother Wore Tights", was a musical, a musical comedy and then a comedy with a tragic outcome for the two daughters, one worse than the other, as they did not want anyone to know at the exclusive Boarding School what there parents did for a living (as this was frowned upon) ......I say comedy because the dancing was cut to a minimum and I don't know what 'category' it would fall into.

Finally, I wish they would remake the musicals, keeping true to form.In my opinion we have no known talent (Director, writers... the whole package) that could compete, the actors would have to bring a "spark"...............Please just leave The Sound of Music out of it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us