Sign in to follow this  
Terrence1

Esther Williams

15 posts in this topic

There have been conflicting opinions on this, and I've been trying to determine what is real. My question is, did Esther Williams do her own singing in her musicals? Thanks to anyone who knows for sure.

Terrence.

I wonder. Would a swimming musical go over today? I can only picture Pink or Lady Gaga doing a stunt like swimming and singing in a film.

I'd say go ahead and give Pink or Lady Gaga a try; have them try to sing underwater, I mean. We might get lucky and they'd drown ...

You say "swimming" and "movie actress". Exactly one person did and always will fit that classification, and that is Esther Williams. The only other double category which I can think of which fits only one person is "classical piano" and "comedian", which fits only Victor Borge.

You say "swimming" and "movie actress". Exactly one person did and always will fit that classification, and that is Esther Williams. The only other double category which I can think of which fits only one person is "classical piano" and "comedian", which fits only Victor Borge.

I brought up Pink because in a recent awards ceremony she hung over the crowd on a rope which turned and she was showered with water. As she spun around dripping wet she sang. How much closer can you get to the old time Esther Williams who was far more talented. Lady Gaga? She is so outrageous she'd do anything!

Esther Williams was such a unique film personality - her film musicals are unlike any other film musicals.

They seem to come from another universe.

• Like 2

I agree with you, Rayban.  Her musicals are like no others.  One thing I've always wondered---did she do her own singing in the movies?

• Like 2

I agree with you, Rayban.  Her musicals are like no others.  One thing I've always wondered---did she do her own singing in the movies?

I'd say that she was dubbed most of the time.

I'd say that she was dubbed most of the time.

That would seem right to me. We don't associate her with being a singer. The question is who usually dubbed her?

• Like 3

That would seem right to me. We don't associate her with being a singer. The question is who usually dubbed her?

That's a good question. We've known about Marnie Nixon for years, but I'm sure there were many unheralded singers who were expected by the studios to just sign the contract, do their turn in the recording studio and pick up their check, no questions asked. It seems like a great line of research for someone who could unravel it all. I'm assuming that research doesn't already exit or Terrence wouldn't have to ask this question in the first place. Personally, I don't think it would tarnish the images of major stars to know they were dubbed; it would give long overdue credit to some very talented people unknown to the public. 

• Like 3