Sign in to follow this  
SueSueApplegate

SUE SUE'S TCM FESTIVAL TRAVEL BLOG...

312 posts in this topic

SueSue,

You brought that night back. It certainly was fun! Free-flowing drinks, delicious appetizers and great people-watching. We were lucky to snag that booth upstairs as it was sooo crowded. I felt like we were holding court and laughing all evening. Thanks for giving the recap of events.

Oh my gosh, my golly, Miss Applegate... now THAT was some evening.

I just kept reading and reading and wondering WHO were you going to run into NEXT! (wow)

I remember a little girl I used to babysit for (way way back when I was a teen) once got to go to Disneyland. She came back a week later and showed me the picture where she got to meet Mickey Mouse.. and I said, "Wow.. can I shake your hand?" because to me, ha, THAT was impressive. But GEE!! This is like that incident on steroids, ha. (OH me. With all the folks you got to meet... shaking your hand would be too much for me.. can I even just watch you shake hands with someone else?? ha)

I am glad you got to have such a special time, and I have enjoyed the way you have been able to describe it all so well for us here. I feel like I was walking along side you the whole time. (although I am sure I was not nearly so well dressed and my hair... oh my hair, ha.. alas.. ) But OH me.. it has been fun to tag along.

PS: thanks for the interview w/ our beloved Mr. O, too. That was a real treat as well. Everything I have ever heard or read about him (or seen in inteviews with him like the one you posted) makes me just think "beloved" is exactly the right word. I bet getting to meet him was the best part of the whole experience, for sure.

SueSue!! I felt I was RIGHT THERE at the party! Oh...my...gosh, ha!

So Louis Jourdan was just like Gaston, eh? Eva Maria Saint has apparently aged gracefully. Nice to know that Diane Baker is a sweetheart. And that Alec Baldwin is down-to-earth and breezily friendly with the fans.

Looks like they are already working on the 2011 Festival. You can sign up for newsletters and updates on the TCM home page. Tonight, after *Gun Crazy*, RO said that he had tea in London with Peggy Cummins and she may appear in at the Festival in 2011.

I certainly didn't want to miss the excitement of the first full day of screenings, but it was difficult to "get going' after the late night excitement of the *Vanity Fair* party, so I wasn't sufficiently "coffee-ed" up enough to make the introduction to *The Bad and The Beautiful* with Robert Osborne and Cheryl Crane, Lana Turner's only child, and author of a biography of her mother.

*The Bad and the Beautiful*, Vincent Minelli's excellent Hollywood expose from 1952 with a screenplay scrafted by Charles Schnee who also wrote *Red River* (both the film and the teleplay), *Butterfield 8*, *They Live by Night*, *Two Weeks in Another Town*, and *The Next Voice You Hear*, won something like 5 Oscars even though it hadn't been nominated for best picture.

This film showcases Kirk Douglas in one of my favorites of all of his performances, besides George Phipps in *A Letter to Three Wives*, *Spartacus*, and Jack in *Lonely are the Brave*. I made it just in time to see one of my favorite scenes on the big screen when Lana is driving the car in the rain and crying hysterically.

And I always love the ending to this film because even though all the characters have absolutely had it with Jonathan Shields' behavior, at the end Georgia Lorrison, Harry Pebbel, and Fred Amiel are still riveted to the phone listening to Shields lure them in once again. But other passholders who saw the introductory discussion with Osborne and Crane proclaimed Crane's sustained interest in the professionalism of Turner's career, and during a later discussion at *Imitation of Life*, Robert Osborne would refer to this interview while discussing the filming of *Imitation of Life* with Juanita Moore, and Susan Kohner.

Then it was on to brunch at the little restaurant that overlooks the inviting pool at the Hollywood Roosevelt. (It's supposedly situated right above the area where Marilyn Monroe had her one and only photo shoot at the hotel.) Folks were swimming in the heated pool and sunning themselves on the lounge chairs while snuggled up in those wonderfully warm super-sized bath towels because it was still a little chilly, especially when you stepped out of that lovely, heated pool.

The breakfast was delicious and the fruit was fresh, eggs were scrambled perfectly fluffy, toast was warm and orange juice tart. But, and now I come to the only complaint portion of my entire visit, except for the fact that the festival was only four short days. It is the small matter of the breakfast potatoes....I think the chef was gearing up for a kind of potatoes galette-kind-of-throw-a few-liquified-capers-in-and-some-garlic- powder-with-dried-parsley-for-a-visual-enticement-like- La Madeleine- kind of culinary experience, but I am sorry. Those breakfast potatoes, and they also serve the same ones if you order room service, were like cold, mushy, greasy, mashed potatoes. It was like The Blob. It acted like it was finally relieved to just sort of ooze on your plate and stare back at you, defying you to attack it with a fork. Eeeeyu! Maybe I've just been viewing too much Gordon Ramsey lately, but there is no way you could pretend they were delicious while you were actually eating them unless you had earned 3 or 4 Oscars. Maybe Meryl Streep could carry it off. I couldn't.

So the wonderful waiter recognized an unhappy patron from her ghoulish, girlish grimace. He brought me an extra side order of toast. That was sweet. The service staff at this hotel attended to details-they were patient, kind, and thoughtful. Thank you, Hollywood Roosevelt, but call the Waffle House for a lesson on Hashed Browns 101. And I wasn't the only passholder put off by the "breakfast" potatoes...several of us had a potato pity party at Club TCM solely about this one and only culinary disgrace. (And, yes, laughter did ensue.) So my only real complaint during the whole wonderful four days is that I want the management to deal with those nasty potatoes....Eeeyu!

Time to run again and onto the "Conversation Between Peter Bogdanovich and Leonard Maltin"

mano a mano at Club TCM, right here in the hotel, on the first floor, across from the spacious lobby bar. Bogdonavich and Maltin were seated face-to-face on the raised dais of the dance floor.

(And yes, there was dancing, but more about that later.) And Bogdanovich did not disappoint. He told many Hollywood tales in character as he schmoozed about Orson Welles as Orson Welles,

a Bogdonavich house guest during his Cybill Shepherd years. Bogdanovich also does a great

impression of Howard Hawks, someone he has researched and written about in some of his

printed exploits, and he also indulged in the industrial name-dropping he is famous for. Both

gentlemen received a huge round of applause from the packed room, and Bogdonavich signed autographs as he left the stage. (Yes, he signed one of my books. I was just standing there,

watching him leave, and since I am about 9 feet tall, I guess my height startled him, and he

started wiggling his pen in my direction, so I shoved a book in his direction. (He was sedate, but gracious.)

After the discussion, I visited with several of my TCM City buddies and new folks I'd met at the festival, and we all chatted about what screening we were going to see next. Everyone was still so excited about our experiences..

But I was running out of tip and t-shirt cash (The souvenirs are wonderful!), so I had to find a local branch bank in the area. The lobby near the registration desk had computers for guestmember use and I looked up a local bank address there, and I went out to the covered portico at the valet and was going to ask for my poor, exhausted rent SUV that had already been all over California, but then one of the service staff asked if I needed a free ride, and I answered, "But, of course!" and he stated that they had a brand new Buick with a tall, good looking chaffeur named Dave, to take me anywhere I wanted to go. And I didn't have to jog my rentvee from its cozy and well-positioned valet space. So Dave drove me to and from the bank, and I arrived in front of Grauman's just in time for the screening of *Imitation of Life* just as the tall, well-attired chauffer opened the inside curb door for me to step out onto the footprint arena where all the famous Hollywood stars I've admired through the years have left their marks....

Next: *The Imitation of Life* screening with a post-film discussion engaging Juanita Moore, Robert Osborne, and Susan Kohner...

SueSue, I share your horror and disgust at those totally inadequate spuds.

Gack! And as a breakfast lover in general who loves potatoes with my eggs, I know how that can definitely make-or-break a morning meal.

Peter and his impressions, he just can't stop doing them, can he, lol? I've heard his John Ford and Hitchcock. It kinda gets stale after awhile, But then I have to say that Boggy always creeps me out, I'm sorry.

Kirk is terrific in THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL. But then he was charismatic right out of the box in his first screen appearance as the weak, morally compromised hubby of Missy in THE STRANGE LOVE OF MARTHA IVERS.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Jul 29, 2010 10:55 PM

*Then it was on to brunch at the little restaurant that overlooks the inviting pool at the Hollywood Roosevelt. (It's supposedly situated right above the area where Marilyn Monroe had her one and only photo shoot at the hotel.) Folks were swimming in the heated pool and sunning themselves on the lounge chairs while snuggled up in those wonderfully warm super-sized bath towels because it was still a little chilly, especially when you stepped out of that lovely, heated pool.*

Suex2,

How did I miss this??? Next year, (note to self), hang more with Suex2 during the day!

But I agree with you on the description of the spuds, EWWWWW!!

Another great on-the-scene report, SueSue?they should be emailed to TCM?s viewer database?give everyone a taste of the event and a sense of the excitement and fun?Bogdanovich is an ?industrial? name dropper and impressionist, but he knows a lot and knew so many of the best?on the other hand, Leonard Maltin?s relentless smile?

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> More about Dave!

>

> I sense some smoldering passion developing.....did he look like Brian Aherne?

I agree, more Dave, SueSue! Brian Aherne -- swoon. (except THE BEST OF EVERYTHING, lol)

Thanks for another terrific read, Miss Applegate.

Other than the sorry spuds, it sounds like it was a trip to remember. Ha... you know you are doing pretty good when you go to something packed so VERY full of activity and experiences and stories.. and the worst thing you encounter is just some yucky potatoes. ha. WOW.. I could live with THAT sort of "worst" for sure. :-)

Thanks for taking the time to share all these stories. This is the next best thing to being there.

Suex2,

One thing's for sure. I can't wait for the Film Festival next year and hanging out with you and the TCM City members we met this year.

We need some cool name that reflects our name of classic films or something like that.

Now, if we can just talk more of the folks responding in this thread into showing up......

And guess what a little birdy told me, a certain Suex2's fan perspective is on tomorrow afternoon (Tuesday) at 5:56 EST.

Edited by: lzcutter because wireless s**ks

Well, I don't know what happened. It wasn't on. And I've alerted everyone I've known since I was six years old. :(

So maybe it will be on another time. I did enjoy the fan perspective with the man discussing how film helped him be closer to his father by discussing his war experiences. That was so evocative for me.

I had driven to my sister's house so we could watch it together. Now she and my brother-in-law claim I just made it all up just so I could have their great hamburgers they cook on the grill.

UPDATE: The DVDs arrived today from TCM. We watched my fan perspective this evening after I arrived home.

I am so happy with the lovely way my comments were intercut with the film clips!

The staff members, editors, and film crews at TCM are great!

I had it all set up to tape and I thought unless she is leading the singing in this short this was not at all what I expected. Too bad. It was the one thing worth taping yesterday.

The next update is that my TCM Fan Perspective will air on August 16 at 1:53 a.m. EST.

I think this is the 3rd time it's aired since the beginning of Summer Under The Stars according

to all my emails. Thank you, TCM!

HI Miss Applegate...

I THINK I saw you on TCM the other night.. At least I THINK it was you.. ha. It was late.. and I had fallen asleep on the couch.. but then woke up just before your spot aired... (were you the one talking about Ginger... and also Miss Lillian in Night of the Hunter too I think?) You looked "mah-velous"!! Great fan perspective, ma'am.