Sign in to follow this  
SueSueApplegate

THE BIG HAIR THREAD....

335 posts in this topic

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> Very nice, cinemafan, especially the green sweater/very red hair shot. But, I think my favorite image of Ann M. will always be from *Tommy*, when she, all in white, is inundated by baked beans. And, no, I don't have a bean fetish of any kind...

Yeah, but that photo is probably for another thread - she most likely didn't have Big Hair there!

More Angie courtesy of Jackie's inspiration...

Angie_Dickinson_a%20(14).jpg

18791205.jpg

Martin Landau and Angie Dickinson...

rio_bravo2.jpg

Big Duke with a little perky parlor "do"

Dickinson_Angie_8x10.jpg

Glam shot...

81L0007_lg_2_Angie-Dickinson.jpg

Looks like this one is from Dressed to Kill...

dickinson_0065.jpg

BIG HAIR, Glam gams and a little guac...

I'm lovin' the Angie photos, big hair...guacamole and all.

Psst! Sue x Sue...Angie's in a clinch with John Cassavetes not Martin Landau, though.

Oops! JOHN CASSAVETES, not Martin Landau...thank you, CineMaven!

Sorry, gang! Repenting at leisure...

Jackie, too cute! Love it!

SueSue, this forum is so much fun. If anyone has a picture of the Viking princess in THE LONG SHIPS, you'll have proof that the Vikings not only discovered America before Columbus, they were using hairspray back then, too.

Thank you so much, kingrat! You are indeed a joy to spend time with, and I am so glad our paths

crossed at the TCM Fest. :)

I was watching *Rio Grande* last night and noticed this gigantic bun Maureen O'Hara was wearing on her head and I thought, "now THAT'S a big bun!" I couldn't get a screencap of it, like I wanted to, because for some reason my Rio Grande dvd won't play in my computer. This is the best shot I could find of it:

RioGrande_03.jpg

I guess someone else likes big buns too.

AliceFayeHAir.jpg

Alice Faye

JoanFontaine-1.jpg

JoanFontainechignon.jpg

Joan Fontaine

Grace-Kelly-grace-kelly-5275178-543.jpg

Grace Kelly

GloriaSwansonbyEvans.jpg

Gloria Swanson

TheGhostandMrsMuir.jpg

Gene Tierney

carollandisehat2.gif

Carole Landis

AnnSheridanMiniTub.jpg

Ann Sheridan

annhardingabbe.jpg

Ann Harding

AlineMprofile.jpg

Aline MacMahon

alicejoycelong.jpg

Alice Joyce

audrey-hepburn-hair.jpg

Audrey Hepburn

kim_novak_spiral-french_twist_verti.jpg

Kim Novak

Edited by: JackFavell on Jul 2, 2010 12:51 PM

Have I offended, unintentionally?

I meant bun as in, a large roll of hair on the back of the head..... I hope I didn't make a boo boo.

Dear Jackie,

Sue Sue says no "boo-boo."

No offense taken. Upsweep, chignon, French twist...buns by any other name...

and thank you so much for the lovely photos! My computer is running v....e....r...y...slowly, and

I've had guests, so I haven't been attending to THE BIG HAIR THREAD as I should have...

I think the ultimate classic is Audrey Hepburn in *Breakfast at Tiffany's*. It is iconic, but the one you posted of Maureen is great, too! Thank you, Jackie! Alice Faye's had that cute, curly perm finish, a precursor to Carrie Fisher's double-bun Star Wars do. But the the traditional "Madeline" from *Vertigo* sported by Kim Novak was a very clean, polished version of Grace Kelly's in *To Catch a Thief*. Kelly had the little wave in front, but Novak's was slick.

Gene Tierney's double chignon from *The Ghost and Mrs. Muir* is one of my all time favorites.And if you view the film, it is a consistently proportioned throughout every scene.

Another example of the standard bun sported was often by Katherine Hepburn,and in order for her curls to be properly proportioned, she would use pencil-thin rollers made of newspaper.

Katharine_Hepburn-41.jpg

But I had to add some more images of Gene Tierney. And I know we are off topic with the first one (No chignon), but when I saw this lovely photo, I had to post it.

Stunning Gene as Zia in 1941's *Sundown...* genetierney8.jpg

Classic Gene...

gene_tierney_07.jpg

Weird kind of artsy shot with Mannequin heads...anybody know what film this is from?

GeneTierney1940.jpg

By artist Karen Townsend...

work.2893910.3.flat,550x550,075,f.gene-t

*she would use pencil-thin rollers made of newspaper.*

YIKES! Wouldn't the newsprint rub off on your hair?

I know. That's what I thought at first. But I guess she would make them, and use them for a while...

who knows? Years?

*I know. That's what I thought at first. But I guess she would make them, and use them for a while...*

*who knows? Years?*

Guess it helped that she wasn't blonde? Can you imagine what it would have looked like had she been a blonde with newsprint in her hair? Ewww.

Whew! Sorry.... I got nervous! I sometimes think something is funny and post without thinking.

Love, love, love Gene's hair in Ghost and Mrs. Muir. Thanks so much for the Gene photos - no apologies for going off topic! Gene Tierney is ALWAYS a perfect topic! Love the mask photo.

I wish you could see Maureen's do better - I am going to try to get that screencap one more time.

I never knew that about Katherine Hepburn, but my daughter came home last month and said that her friend had rolled her hair with paper.... that's a new one on me!

I always used rags - strips of an old sheet cut or ripped into 1 inch wide strips..... it worked GREAT, and you didn't kill yourself sleeping on them. I did a play once in which I played one of several daughters - and we all rolled our hair into the most amazing Mary Pickford ringlets and wore big bows in our hair. It was great fun.

Not to mention the smell....but she was supposed to be very fastidious...well, I guess I mentnioned the smell...

bwtwob.jpg

Another one of my favorite ladies with BIG HAIR..

Diahann Carroll

paris-blues1.jpg

With Sidney Poitier in Paris Blues...

Beautiful....

345998-450.jpg

Diahann-Carroll.jpg

Butterick_3638_a.jpg

As a major player in the fashionista game, she even had her own line of designs with Butterick fashions...

julia-in-box2.jpg

And a doll

bestbeat2.JPG

As well as a singing career with many albums...

14549651.jpg

One of my favorite television shows when I was in junior high from 1968 that ran for two seasons was Julia with Diahann and veteran actor LLoyd Nolan, a program about a single Mom and nurse. As a single Mom myself, I always remember the strength and patience of her character as Julia...

49068237.jpg

Julia...

OK, lets see if I can get this to work...

Arrgggh. Why can't I get Photobucket pics to post today????

Edited by: traceyk65 on Jul 3, 2010 10:00 PM

nevermind...Fred, where are you???

Edited by: traceyk65 on Jul 3, 2010 10:05 PM