Sign in to follow this  
SueSueApplegate

THE BIG HAIR THREAD....

335 posts in this topic

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?messageID=8419855

ATTENTION!!! ATTENTION!! This is for all my red-blooded, American, TCM Enthusiasts. ?BYE BYE BIRDIE? comes on in five minutes. If you don?t want to watch the whole thing, do yourself a favor and watch just the first ten minutes and bail. I for one will look forward to (digesting the burgers I had today) getting lost in gold lame, chinoes, pompadours, blondes turned brunette, fey Dads, song and dance men, men with fezzes, squeeeeky loafers, a really big shoeeee and one gorgeous future sex kitten.

This is the first movie I saw withOUT my parents. They let me go with a bunch of other kids to the movies. It was a double feature with ?KING KONG vs GODZILLA.? It changed me forever. Fantasy awaits.

Let the others kvetch. I say, ?Thank you TCM.?

Ann-Margret is kind of like Fourth of July fireworks all by herself.

Awesome mini review, M-Ava!

I love Bye Bye Birdie, and try especially never to miss the Telephone song, it's my favorite -

-Hi, Nancy!

-Hi, Helen!

What's the story, morning glory?

What's tale, nightingale?

-Tell me quick about Hugo and Kim!

What a great movie to be the first on your own!

Yup. Now that I am looking at that gorgeous, gorgeous photo of Ava Gardner (thanks, Sue2), and the more I chat with you, CM, the more I see you resembling Ava - it's a perfect nickname for you. If I were to pick a movie star to represent your entire being - it would be her. From now on I am going to simply call you Ava.

And you are quite the firecracker! Have a most happy 4th of July evening.

The first movie I remember ever seeing without my parents is *Bandolero!,* the film that launched Raquel Welch's blossoming 'do'. By the end of that film, it was almost a high as the Empire State Building. Guess that's one of the the reasons I felt "compelled" to open the BIGHAIRTHREAD.

In honor of Bye-Bye Birdie and Cinemaven's first film ever seen without her parents, poufy-do'ed Ann Margaret...

ann-margaret11.jpg

For Jackie and CinemAva, the real AVA in The Naked Maja, the film Shelley Winters claimed almost killed Tony Franciosa...

gardner01.jpg

9250325_gal.jpg

Ava in The Killers...

ava_gardner151.jpg

Naughty things always seem to happen in those kind of shoes!

Peek-a-boo Ava...

4109536_gal.jpg

Happy July 4th again from Ava..

0039_2_lg.jpg

WOW! What great photos of Ann Marg -rock and AvaG.

I love the bottom right corner and top left corner Ann photos and the peekaboo Ava.

What star are you most like, Sue Sue? I wonder if Ann is close to your personality? What do you think?

I enjoy Ava, Grace Kelly, Ann Sheridan, Lena Horne, Audrey Hepburn, Ingrid Bergman, Irenne Dunne, Carole Lombard,Thelma Ritter, Doris Day, Judy Garland, Debbie Reynolds, Diahann Carroll, Joan Collins, Agnes Moorehead ( who had some really BIG HAIR days as Endora), Myrna Loy, Linda Darnell, Esther Williams, Rosalind Russell, and Lana...and many others...

(Lana, Ava, Ingrid, Doris, Myrna, and Lena, really need no last names when discussing classic film, imho....)

In my salad days, I used to be compared to Raquel a great deal, but I think it was more propaganda devised in the imagination of future princely hopefuls... :)

I guess one reason I initiated THE BIG HAIR THREAD, is that I love to get all dressed up and go out somewhere fun with my friends...and in Texas, you don't do that unless you have....ta-dah...

REALLY BIG HAIR! Ha!

I really don't know which film star I would most be like...Ann Sheridan was pretty quick with the wit, and so was Thelma Ritter, and Roz Russell, and I look like my Mom who looked like Esther in her heyday...and wackily energetic at times like Betty Hutton... a little of all of those...

And what about you, Jackie?

I picture you as fun loving, that's why I was wondering if you were an Ann Margret.... maybe an Ann Sheridan? You have oomph!

Well, no one can be constantly "oomphful" unless it is Ann Sheridan, Ava, or Betty Hutton!

Sometimes you need quiet moments to comtemplate moments when "Oomph" will once

return in a blaze of energy...no yin, no yang....

?If I were to pick a movie star to represent your entire being - it would be her. From now on I am going to simply call you Ava. - < JackFavell >

Oh no...no...no. I?m not Ava. No. I?m not worthy, Jackaaaay. She?s so glamorous and has men at her feet. Have you SEEN Ava?? Matadors killed for her. Hughes tried to buy her. She goes barefoot. I?m sooooo none of those things. (I wear a size 7.5 shoe). I?m just a regular, down-to-earth kinda gal who loves classic films. But I?ll glad keep the moniker I was dubbed: CinemAva. That suits me just fine. (I did have big hair in the early 70?s when I had an Afro). It was out to there.

?In honor of Bye-Bye Birdie and Cinemaven's first film ever seen without her parents, poufy-do'ed Ann Margaret...? - < SueSue Applegate >

Thank you so much for those shots of Ann-Margret. She did a great job in ?Bye Bye Birdie.? Girlish and then the burgeoning sexuality. Loved that battle of the sexes dance number. Bobby Rydell was none to shabby in that scene when he jazzed it up.

Ha! We saw ?Bandolero? as a family.

Sue you?ve listed many many actresses that I?m very fond of. You have CineMarvelous taste!!! :-)

In the late seventies, I had very long hair, past the loops in my jeans, and I was a very serious music major. And many of my friends had Afros, so every once in a while, I just wanted to have an Afro, so I would spend two to three hours rolling my hair up in pin curls, Dep, or Dippity-Do, and have this wonderful poufy do for a couple of days.

AvaGardner.gif

One of my favorite images of Ava from *Pandora and the Flying Dutchman* period...

Edited by: SueSueApplegate on Jul 5, 2010 3:09 PM

Some more of my favorite Ava photos...

ava1.jpg

Sleek look with big hair under a big hat...

ava-sitting.gif

One of the most reproduced images of The Barefoot Contessa..

gardnerebaypic.jpg

Four Faces of Ava...

Adorable photo, ham! Who else would have bigger hair than Cousin It, except maybe Phil Specter...

Ok it's not the movies, but it is classic! What was it about the 60's that dictated big hair on women in space?

startrek.jpg

Well, Tracey, this thread is about BIG HAIR and classic film. Don't forget Jane Fonda in *Barbarella*.

(There is already a previously posted photo of Jane as Barbarella on TBHT.) I think space travel must chemically alter hair and hair products, thereby, i.e., making it easier to style and easier to expand.

Even though I am not a NASA engineer, it is obvious that during the 60's, television programs about space often featured puffier do's and skimpier togs, and the hard-and-fast *Bonanza* rule of "Death to the Doll" often applied to anyone that Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock, or Bones fancied, except for Mr. Spock's Mom (Jane Wyatt), Lt. Uhura (necessary to keep the bridge up and running), a woman who had the run of her own planet if it didn't explode at the end of an episode, Mrs. Robinson (Lost in Space), or My Living Doll (Julie Newmar). I think Newmar qualified here because the audience knew up front that she was a robot, as far as suspension of belief is concerned.

Since *Star Trek* was conceived by men, and episodes were, for the most part, written by men, it would seem that their philosophy of Utopia on the Enterprise would be the status quo, scantily clad babes in BIG HAIR.

Out of the 145 writing credits listed for *Star Trek* episodes from 1966-1969, only fifteen listed are women. Ten by D.C.(Dorothy Catherine) Fontana, who last garnered writing credits in 2009, Margaret Arman (3 episodes), and Jean Lisette Aroeste (2 episodes.)

I guess one of my favorite Zero Gravity do's graced the crown of Sigourney Weaver in *GalaxyQuest...*

Galaxy_Quest-1.jpg

Unfortunately, not everyone can have BIG HAIR in space...

glatze-pstew.jpg

Does this count?

the-shaggy-da-dean-jones-tim-conway.jpg

After seeing that photo of Patrick Stewart, maybe its time for a *No Hair Thread.* :)

Yul Brenner

tumblr_kx4xwaVy081qzgqh5o1_400.jpg