Sign in to follow this  
movieman1957

_[b]16th PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE VOTING BALLOT[/b]_

93 posts in this topic

> Fedya made her choices clever, fun, and daring,

I have it on good authority that *Fedya* is not a she. ;-)

Regarding the origin of my screen name, my real name is Theodore, and I was a Russian major in college. The Russian equivalent of Theodore is Fyodor, as in Dostoevsky. But just as people in English go by short forms of their names -- Ted for Theodore -- so do Russians. Think Vanya for Ivan, or Sasha for Aleksander. The familiar form of Fyodor is Fedya. When I first got a real internet account after college, I tried picking the account name "Fedya", figuring it was likely not to be taken. I was right and, in fact, Fedya isn't taken on a lot of English-language sites.

Sorry about that, Fedya. I hope you will forgive me.

If this is the last mistake I'll ever make, I would be surprised. :)

I think all deserve awards for their great schedules. I would be very happy if TCM used any of them.

What is notable in each for me:

countessdelave - I love that you included *Tales of Manhattan* and *Gambit* Your Which Twin has Toniest Life is wonderful. Top of the Town is very cute twist to theme. Nancy Carroll was nice pick for SOTM.

LonesomePolecat - The spin on the Andy Griffith show is great. The tribute to Hackett and Goodrich is well deserved. Wife-acide is wonderful theme. Alec Guiness at Ealing is great SOTM. The movies for Capra's reporters are all great movies.

audreyforever - I like very much your Films From Above. Joel McCrea as SOTM is wonderful choice. I very much like Saturday tribute to Barbara Stanwyck. You choose many great movies.

rdmtimp - I like very much how you concentrated on birthdays. The ones you choose are all great talents. I would very much like to see *Zabriskie Point* on Underground.

kingrat - I love the spin you put on tribute to Ralph Bellamy. I also like Noir by Negulesco and Major

Barbara. It is obvious I think Jean Simmons should be SOTM.

Capuchin - Many great movies. I know what you were thinking for each theme.

Fedya - Your connection to commercials is fantastic. I think best movies are for Snuggie. *Tales of

Manhatten* and *Larceny Inc* are my favorites in schedule.

I am voting by PM to prevent a certain person from being mad at me. I think you all deserve to know how great your schedules are.

Thank you movieman1957 for running such a wonderful challenge!

Our Wednesday 5pm update.

Countessdelave - 3

Audreyforever - 2

Capuchin - 1

Fedya - 1

Voting runs through Friday night. I hope there are many of you looking at the schedules and will vote. Lots of hard work went into these wonderful efforts.

Thank you for your support.

Gee, I hope there are some adding to the drama by making a late entry to vote for their favorite schedule.

Don't wait too long. An update may come later tonight as my internet at home is back up.

Voting ends tomorrow night.

I'm still deciding. But can't make a decision like that until AFTER the Lakers wipe out the Celtics tonight.

> But can't make a decision like that until AFTER the Lakers wipe out the Celtics tonight.

Can't we root for both teams to lose?

It's tough to choose between so many good schedules, but after quite a bit of consideration, I'm going to vote for *Lonesome Polecat*. Before TCM showed the Yaris ad, I was thinking of doing an "As seen on TV" schedule that would have combined some of the advertising themes I used with TV program based themes, and actually had a similar idea about using one film for each actor of a TV show's cast, although in my case I was leaning towards Gilligan's Island (any excuse to show Tina Louise in *The Stepford Wives* is worth it). I also enjoyed her [uxoricide|http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/uxoricide?x=0&y=0] theme as well as Alec Guinness and the showing of *Chariots of Fire*, which I think gets wrongly maligned.

Time for our Thursday evening update.

Countessdelave - 3

Audreyforever - 2

Sansfin - 2

Capuchin - 1

Fedya - 1

Lonesomepolecat - 1

It is still anybody's contest to win. We know Filmlover will be along after the celebrates and hopefully others will too.

A winner will be announced Saturday. I don't want to be the tiebreaker.

I am still trying to decide who to vote for. There are some wonderful schedules and trying to decide which one is almost as bad as the sophie's choices at the Film Festival.

But, have no fear, I will register a vote via PM by the deadline.

Brilliant schedules from everyone as always. I always seem to have the toughest time deciding between Fedya, whose unified theme schedules are so darn impressive and witty, and countessdelave, who tends to program the largest number of films I?d most like to see on TCM. But I guess in the end I?ll have to go with the person who chose Nancy Carroll as Star of the Month ? so add another vote for countessdelave from me. :o)

Notes to each contender:

1. FEDYA...You need to re-air the famous TCM commercial. Interrupt every movie and air the commercial in the middle of each one.

2. COUNTESSDAVE...I like the Ziegfeld girl section. Top of the Town should have 'The Fountainhead.' The Nancys are good! Buddy Rogers should include 'My Best Girl' with Pickford. Twins: I'd add 'Big Business' with Bette Midler and Lily Tomlin. Czechmates is great! Why not just do a series of Dorothy Provine films? She appeared in 7 big films in the 1960s.

3. CAPUCHIN...I don't like the negativity of the phrase 'movies are for the birds.' There must be another way to say that and indicate your aviary theme. Ray Milland offerings are diverse and good. Elementals is excellent, good job! I'd add Ang Lee's 'The Ice Storm.' No sequels is good; Devils are good selections. Favorites are good. Bowery: Throw in a Bowery Boys title. I like how you didn't go outside the mainstream too much.

4. RDMTIMP...You need at least one Hope Lange-Glenn Ford romcom (they made a few and were nearly married IRL). Edith Wharton: add The House of Mirth and Ethan Frome. For Busby, you should include one of his non-musical films, like the Dead End kids movie he made. I like the Preston Sturges section, celebrating his writing over his directing.

5. KINGRAT...Ralph Bellamy should end with a film where he's the lead and does get the girl ('Parole Girl' is one). Soap stars section is good...but add Meg Ryan, Marisa Tomei, Julianne Moore and Tom Selleck.

6. AUDREY...Love the swing movies; you could've picked a post code movie about swingers to round it out! Old Days of Radio missed the mark; should've had a Jack Benny, Fred Allen, a Fibber McGee & Molly movie and one with Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy. I love the marquee musicals section. Overall, your schedule has lots of entertaining films.

7. SANSFIN...Nursery rhymes is cute, but almost too clever...why no films based on actual nursery rhymes? I like the character actor tribute a lot. But when you pick a character actor to spotlight, you should pick someone who did an occasional lead, like Charles Coburn, Elsa Lanchester or Marjorie Main.

8. LONESOMEPOLECAT...The Andy Griffith Show theme doesn't work for me. I see that celebrated on TVLand, not TCM. I would've just focused on Andy's films and at the end done a 'premiere' of the pilot and final episodes of TAGS as a nod to Andy's television legacy. Corporate is missing 'Executive Suite.' Coronations should have 'The Prisoner of Zenda.' Dead Talk Back: add Sally Field/James Caan film 'Kiss Me Goodbye,' Shelley Long in 'Hello Again,' and 'Ghost.' I love the Sherman brothers stuff!

ClassicViewer, I am not quite sure how to write this reply to your post (but I am sure you will let me know how I should have done it). I'm glad you did manage to say some nice things to the participants...but in the long history of the Challenge you are the very first person to tell each person how they should have handled their schedule. That is not what we do here. You have to remember this Challenge is done out of fun, listing movies and themes we would like to see, and it is a major effort to make it all fit within a full week's schedule.

I'm sure with the next Challenge, you will be in there and we can see how you do one...and then we'll let you know what you should have done, instead.

Thanks for the reply. I don't think it hurts to help participants make refinements. (If you will notice, I did not state who I voted for but rather sent my ballot via PM.)

It is not my goal to enter the competition. It would be fun, yes...and I would welcome helpful suggestions from others. But I already make my own schedules, for myself and my friends and family.

Nonetheless, I appreciate your comments.

While your criticism might go well with the negativity that seems to be taking over these boards, it really has no place in this thread. And I'm afraid that you are ineligible to vote in this Challenge, having just registered May 31st.

I think there should've been more participants. Maybe next year it will be better. However, there was a lot of creativity...and with the right improvements, the schedules that were proposed can be truly solid and spectacular.

It?s time to vote. I?ve put it off because it was so hard. There?s a lot to love in every schedule. Here are some highlights from each one.

*Fedya*: The entire concept is hilarious. Linking your schedule to old commercials is funny and time-consuming to create. I?ll admit that I have a fun remembrance of Martha Raye and those Polident commercials. Another commercial that I remember so well is Popeil?s Pocket Fisherman. You got one of those Popeil classics: Hair in a can. Great job.

*Capuchin*: Another great schedule. I especially liked the Joan Blondell lineup, Inferiority Complex-funny, Ray Milland as SOTM, and Winton Hoch?s cinematography.

*Lonesome Polecat*: Many things to admire in your schedule. Corporate Shortcuts, SOTM: Alec Guiness, Hackett & Goodrich, your 20s theme, Sherman Brothers, premiere of A New Leaf. I really liked your programming of the 50th Anniversary of The Andy Griffith Show.

*Rdmtimp*: First of all, congrats on your 1st schedule-it?s great! I especially liked your Silent Sunday Night programming, producer George Harrison, Preston Sturges as writer, Korngold tribute, Vienna as ?On the Town?, and Warren William in a TCM spotlight.

*Audreyforever*: I always enjoy precode films and it?s nice to see Lawyer Man on your schedule. I?ve been wanting to see it again on TCM. Sun Valley Serenade is a film I love. Henie isn?t much of a singer but I adore the Nicholas Brothers and Lynn Bari and the Glenn Miller Orchestra in this film. A really good choice and theme. I say yes, yes, yes to Maria Montez-love her in Cobra Woman. Your radio theme was good, Fox musicals and all-day ?On the Town? programming. Joel McCrea as SOTM is great. We all want to see him in that role very soon.

Great work.

*Kingrat*: Your sneak preview of the 2011 TCM Film Festival was so tantalising. Dream of Wild Horses, Sunrise, Nightmare Alley and Private Affairs of Bel Ami were my favorite choices. You must have really enjoyed Ralph Bellamy?s films on TCM last night. I always enjoy him. Rome Without Audrey is fun (as is your George Bernard Shaw theme). Women A-Z was terrific, the premiere of Ivy (I?d like to see it again too) and ending your schedule with 2010 TCM Film Festival encores. Wonderful schedule.

*Sansfin*: You always surprise me with your schedules. I thought the Nursery Rhyme theme was great! I liked Camelot for your ?On the Town? choice. Jean Simmons is wonderful for SOTM (both you and Kingrat were ceratinly on the same wave length). 8 1/2 Is a good choice for The Essentials. Perhaps my favorite aspect of your schedule is your tribute to Charles Lane. Does anyone know if he is the actor who has been in the most films? Another great job.

My vote goes to Fedya, who made me laugh out loud with the use of the EZ Cracker commercial to introduce The Egg and I and Cool Hand Luke.

Edited by: countessdelave because she messed up the first sentence.

> {quote:title=ClassicViewer wrote:}{quote}

> I think there should've been more participants. Maybe next year it will be better.

It isn't a once-a-year competition. It is done every few months.

And you said there should have been more participants. It is actually a lot of work doing a schedule for one solid week, making sure times fit, themes work, matching up to what TCM does with regular programming such as Silent Sunday Night and The Essentials (to name just two that need to be included), plus looking up studios, running times, seeing what is a premiere and what has been run on TCM before. You might check out the rules in the original Challenge thread. A number of people find it quite a daunting task.

And if you think there should be more participants, join in and do one yourself (again following all the rule requirements). I've participated in all of the first 15 of the 16 Challenges so far, and a schedule is never easy work. It's rewarding when it is done, but it is work. Sometimes it is like a jigsaw puzzle, getting all the separate pieces to fit.

It's great to see so many votes coming.

Since it has been brought up in the last few posts this might be an ideal time to remind everyone that the winner (announced tomorrow) will have the honor (and I hope pleasure) of hosting the next challenge. While they will be free to pick their start time there is usually several months between them.

Eight fine schedules from which to choose your favorite. Make somebody's day and vote.

Thanks filmlover for the 411. I did realise that it's easy to suggest improvements without taking into account the running times of these films.

One thing I want to add, just in general, is that this is called a 'challenge.' So again, I don't think it's wrong to suggest refinements, because we are challenging one another to make our efforts as strong as possible.