Sign in to follow this  
esmagnus

Anyone listen to movie scores on vinyl?

11 posts in this topic

I took a gander, and it looks very nice! I do enjoy soundtracks and scores on vinyl, so I might do business with you.

> {quote:title=Meanie220 wrote:}{quote}

> I took a gander, and it looks very nice! I do enjoy soundtracks and scores on vinyl, so I might do business with you.

Your biz is welcomed of course! Let me know if there's something special you're looking for. Still have a lot that I haven't posted yet.

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> Yes, but I have way too many of my own already!

that's great. what are your favs?

> {quote:title=esmagnus wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> > Yes, but I have way too many of my own already!

>

> that's great. what are your favs?

>

"The Shining" was just mentioned, and I'd say that's a favorite soundtrack, but actually only for the early thirties tunes used in the movie, only one of which I recall being included on the soundtrack LP. I remember being disappointed at the time that more of the old songs (Henry Hall & Ray Noble Orchestras, Al Bowlly) were not on the LP, but in the years since, I've managed to collect them all on original 78's or other compilations.

The Shining sounds like a fun one to listen to at night when you're home alone.

"Come and play with us Danny."

I've always loved "Fantasy Film World of Bernard Herrmann"

"On this LP, Herrmann re-records his scores from four fantasy and science fiction films, Journey to the Center of the Earth _(ROOF RAISING!)_ , The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad, The Day the Earth Stood Still, and Fahrenheit 451. Journey... is a unique score with no string section. Herrmann utilized five organs, a large Cathedral and four electronic, for various effects. The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad features a large percussion section. The xylophones in "The Duel with the Skeleton" are a perfect match for the film action. The Day the Earth Stood Still makes use of two theremins along with electric violin, bass and guitar. The themes in this score have been imitated so much they might sound a little corny today, but in 1951 this soundtrack must have been astonishing! Resisting the temptation of using electronic gimmicks for a science fiction score, Fahrenheit 451 features a standard orchestra. "Fire Engine," played during the fire engine scenes, is great fun. This is a must have album for anyone interested in science fiction or fantasy film music."

http://www.endlessgroove.com/issue4/lp4s5.htm