Sign in to follow this  
MovieFreak101

Your favorite musical?

28 posts in this topic

What is you single most, all-time, favorite musical?

I realize it's a really hard question, and if I had to say second place, it would drive me crazy.

My absolute favorite is Calamity Jane.

My favorite musical is "Singin' In The Rain." It's very cheerful and fun. Who could forget Gene Kelly's famous dance in the rain?

Was June Allyson ever in a musical? I didn't know she could even sing. I'm afraid I really dislike poor old June. My father (who never hesitated to speak his opinion about such matters) used to call her "Horsey Face." Very mean, I know. But (equestrian appearance or not aside) she is kind of irritating.

GOOD NEWS is really fun, despite me not liking either of the two leads, Peter Lawford and (especially) Allyson. It's a collegiate musical nostalgically recalling the roaring 20s, and features a great song that lists most Native American groups in the lyrics (not sure of the name of the song).

I believe June may have sang in some of her other films, especially when she was hitting stardom in the mid 40s, but not being a fan (to put it mildly) I don't really now.

Edited by: Arturo on Jun 25, 2010 7:54 PM

Actually, Allyson did appear in a number of musicals, especially early in her career. The comedies ad dramas came a little later. And, Arturo, the number from "Good News" that you are thinking of is called "Pass the Peace Pipe." It's a great number and, along with "Varsity Drag" are my two favorite numbers in this film.

Terrence.

I always find it impossible to have one single "favourite" of anything, be it a musical, a movie, a song, or an ice cream flavour. So I'm going to indulge myself and list a favourite from three different movie musical categories.

Old black and white 30s musical: Of course one with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. The wonderful scores alone (usually Irving Berlin) would give them a top place. Probably Top Hat, although Swingtime 's pretty darn good too.

Big fat colour 50s musical: Toss-up between The Music Man and Oklahoma ! . (The Music Man

is of a more reasonable length.) I guess I have to go with The Music Man, the music is so damn good in it. Oklahoma ! 's a very close second. Such soaring melodies in both of them!

"Modern" musical: Cabaret.

Edited by: misswonderly on Jun 27, 2010 11:06 AM

It's not an issue in muscials if they're bw or color--the issues have more to do origination and styles.

"Music Man" and "OK" are Broadway shows. *Top Hat* and *Swing Time* are originial screen musicals. However, all four are predominantly dance musicals.

Far and away, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg. Every song, every theme, every set, every actor was gorgeous. Lovely...

I don't know if The Commitments is considered a musical...but just the idea of Irish kids loving soul music and doing it SO well got us to the theater three times.

I used to love Oklahoma as a kid. I absolutely adored it. I think I watched it so often I ruined it for my mom. But the last time I saw it I didn't really like it. I think some of the dance numbers struck me as just being weird, and I couldn't imagine why I would have liked them as a kid. But on the other hand, Gordon MacCrae is sooooo dreamy.

I don't really have much of an opinion on June Allyson, probably because I've only seen her in a couple of things. The way many of you describe her is how I feel about Joan Crawford though. She has always made me shudder.

I think overall I tend to like minor musicals over the blockbuster ones. Thorougbreds Don't Cry with Jdy Garland and Mickey Rooney is one of my favorites.

I should admit up front that I am not really a musical fan. I do like Marx Bros. films, and the Peter O'Toole/Peter Medak film *The Ruling Class*, which are all nominally musicals. But the one out-and-out musical that I do love is Busby Berkeley's *42nd Street*. It is just so out there, it is amazing!

If I were to categorize them:

Broadway adaptation to film: *The Sound of Music* (runner-up *The Music Man*)

Film with stand alone musical performances: *Love Me or Leave Me* (runner*-up *Star!*)*

*Original screen musical: *Mary Poppins* (runner-up *The Wizard of Oz*)

Singin' in the Rain

Fiddler on the Roof

Funny Girl (or does that count as a musical?)

one year.....

one movie.....

especially for this date.......

1972's 1776.

Oklahoma ! is one of the best musicals ever. This is despite its excessive length and rather dark subject matter (for a musical.) The Rodgers and Hammerstein score is loaded with beautiful singable melodies that stick in your head. Some of them have entered the realm of popular touchstone -everyone remembers the scene from When Harry Met Sally , the one in which Meg Ryan so charmingly and so tunelessly attempts to sing kareokee to Surrey with the Fringe on Top .

The "weird" sequence you're referring to is probably the scene in which Laurie takes the hallucinogenic drug ( ! ) the pedlar has sold her and she proceeds to have -well- a hallucination.

An overwrought, overlong ballet number follows; the whole thing could easily be cut from the movie and the deletion would make very little difference.

Other than that, I think this movie musical is well nigh perfect. Almost all the songs are irresistable, and it has some of the best dance numbers this side of Astaire/Rogers.

Who knew Gloria Graham, duchess of noir, could be funny and so perfect as Ado Annie? Even the way she warbles "I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say No", ( almost as off-key as Meg Ryan ), is charming and amusing.

The "dark" aspect of it -Judd Fry's unholy lust for Laurie - renders it one of the more unusual musicals in terms of its character/plot development. Rod Steiger, as always, delivers a performance that gets under your skin.

But the prevailing mood of Oklahoma ! is one of joi de vivre and of hope, an innocent and optimistic celebration of America when it was young.

Hey -although this wasn't on purpose, I think it's worked out rather nicely that I'm posting this on July 4th. Happy Birthday, U.S.A. !

Edited by: misswonderly on Jul 4, 2010 7:48 PM

Other than the obvious choice of SINGIN' IN THE RAIN, I would add A HARD DAYS' NIGHT or YELLOW SUBMARINE. ON THE TOWN is right up there, as well.

I will watch the following musicals over & over

42nd Street

7 Brides for 7 Brothers

Funny Girl

Fiddler on the Roof

Flower Drum Song

I guess I like the letter "F" :)

However, I believe I'm the only person that truly loves Paint Your Wagon