THEMovieman

Ultimate Movie Trivia

3,273 posts in this topic

Lawrence-- 2 of 3--One critic wrote "No" when the film was first released.  Name him.

I just saw this on Wikipedia: "Isn't It Romantic? is notable for receiving the shortest review ever given to a motion picture. According to Guinness World Records, well-known critic Leonard Maltin simply replied "No" as a response to the film's title.

It also mentions a Bosley Crowther review :  "A formless and rambling musical, which looks as though it were made with at least a half dozen previous musical successes in mind, is Paramount's "Isn't It Romantic?" which came to the Paramount Theatre yesterday. The funny thing is it bears no likeness to a musical success itself."

Lawrence--I would have sworn James Agee wrote the "no" review, but I'm apparently wrong.  My apologies, and Your thread.

Wikipedia could be wrong; it wouldn't be the first time. I quoted the passage to show where I was getting my info from. 

I think I'll leave this open. Me and the trivia section aren't gelling well of late. 

Well, Larry, I'm feeling the same as you about the Trivia section, but I'll try once more.

When the soundtrack of this movie was released, it contained both a certain actress singing, and another whose voice was used in the movie.  Name the movie.

You're right, Arsan.  Much has been written about this incident.  And the ironic part is that Ava Gardner's voice was quite pleasant, good enough to be used in the movie.  She was so disappointed with the whole thing, that she turned down the lead in "Love Me or Leave Me'", claiming that she wanted nothing to do with another musical.

Arsan, your turn.

Charles Chaplin for The Great Dictator is correct, Lawrence. Why he refused the award is not clear.

One story claims that Bosley Crowther was not happy with the results of the ballots and pressured the other members into giving awards to Katharine Hepburn in The Philadelphia Story and Charles Chaplin in The Great Dictator. When they found out, Katharine Hepburn refused to pick up the award; Charles Chaplin refused it altogether.

Your thread.

This juvenile actor and actress appeared in several films together and, in one instance, the actress appeared in a remake of a film the actor had made several years before playing the role he had played, with the character undergoing a change from a kid brother to a kid sister.

Name the actor and actress and the 2 films.

The 1941 movie "I Will Wait for You" featured Virginia Weidler as the younger sister of Marsha Hunt.  It was a remake of the 1934 film "Hideout" which featured Mickey Rooney as Maureen O'Sullivan's younger brother.  Recently TCM showed "Hold That Kiss" (1938) in which Mickey Rooney also played Maureen O'Sullivan's kid brother.  Fay Holden (Mrs. Hardy in all those movies) played their mother.  Fay Holden also played Virginia Weidler's mother in "I Will Wait For You".

That's exactly right, Miles, and may I just add that Mickey Rooney and Virginia Weidler appeared in 4 films together, twice playing brother and sister.  The first time was in Love Is a Headache and the second time was in Young Tom Edison.  The other 2 films were Out West with the Hardys and Babes on Broadway.

Your thread, Miles.

A popular radio comic was featured in a few movies in the thirties and forties.  His appeal to children was similar to Pee Wee Herman's.  He used a child-like voice and very silly slapstick routines.  His favorite catch phrase was "Wanna buy a duck?".  He got to sing to that duck in a 1930's musical.  Can you name this comic, his duck, and the movie? 

You are correct, Princess.  The duck's name was Goo Goo.  Here they are with Lyda Roberti in "College Rhythm".

With clever lyrics like "Lover, come quack to me", I just don't understand how that song didn't get an Oscar nomination.

Nice work, Princess.  You're up next.

This actress was better known in the theater than in motion pictures, however her performances in movies are memorable, as she even garnered one Academy Award nomination. 

Her husband was not in Show Business, but was the scion of a famous American family of Industry.

When you identify this actress and name several of her well-known movie roles, please also list one of her legendary theater roles.