THEMovieman

Ultimate Movie Trivia

3,204 posts in this topic

Ok--Let's go!

What cinematographer often had to wait long intervals to resume shooting, what legendary movie series, while the shiny floors were cleaned to perfection, time after time, with benzene?

And was Mudskipper wonderful!

They had to keep the floors shiny for the style of the movies. Eventhough Fred & Ginger never wore taps on their shoes when they filmed, the floors were constantly scuffed by the dancing.

You can see their reflection in the floor, it was so elegant.

Mudskipper please take it away!

Edited by: cujas on Jul 1, 2010 4:17 PM

Thanks, Cujas...This one shouldn't be too hard.

Name the six actors who at one time or another were members of the "Three Stooges"...

Moe, Curly (Jerry) and Shemp Howard, Larry Fine, Joe Besser and Curly-Joe DeRita?and I didn?t even like them?the Stooges are mostly ?a guy thing?

Ok, your thread, Eve....but how can you not like Shemp Howard ??....I suppose it's similar to guys not being impressed by little Shirley Temple.

You?re probably right?tho I?m not all that crazy about ?curly-top? either?maybe ?The Little Rascals? series was something boys & girls could all agree on?? thanks, I?ll be back

Edited by: theladyeve on Jul 1, 2010 8:55 PM

A Tony nominated Broadway fellow came to Hollywood and directed a classic of a particular genre with a star who was soon to break-out in a dramatic role and, years later, go on to win a ?Best? Oscar?the film has some significance this month?

Name director, film, actress?

(by the way, mudskipper, I posted a blog a few months ago (at the Classic Movie & TV Caf? and on CFU) - my interview with Edna May Wonacott who was a supporting player (Ann Newton) in *Shadow of a Doubt*?she met Shemp Howard on her first trip to Hollywood and was thrilled?)

No takers yet? Since the post was intentionally a bit obscure, I would be completely out of line imply that anyone here doesn?t know their stuff (always bad form, IMHO)?and I know that all of you definitely do know your stuff when it comes to classic films?

WB is about to release a film noir DVD/Blu-ray box set (and I?ve been asked to review it )? this question refers to one of the films (+ director and star) in the package?it?s one of the more interesting offerings of the several films included?as mentioned, the lead actress later broke out and later still won an Oscar?screenplay by a celebrated playwright, adapted from a novel by one who wrote the story for one of Hitchcock?s most popular films?

To recap?it?s film noir, it?s from the ?40s and co-stars an actress who later won an Oscar?the director was celebrated in the theater but made only one film?director, film actress?

That?s right, lavender?*Deadline at Dawn* - stars Susan Hayward, Bill Williams and Paul Lukas?the only film Harold Clurman ever directed (he was Tony-nominated for ?Bus Stop,? among others, and had produced and directed ?Awake and Sing,? ?Golden Boy? and others for The Group Theater) ? one of the films on WB?s upcoming ?Film Noir Vol 5??good work, it?s yours!

What director had to pay for the filming of the opening and closing sequences of a famous film?The Studio had refused to pay since they diliked the director's concept. One of the stars of the film used an unseen piece of exercise equipment to accomplish the shots. Name the director, film and the equipment used.

Lavender, could it be George Sidney, *Bye, Bye Birdie* , and a treadmill?

Sue, not only could it be, it is. *Bye,Bye Birdie* , George Sydney and a treadmill that he had beautiful Ann Margaret on. John Lithgow talked about this the other nite on Essentials, Jr. But it's interesting I first learned about it from an episode of Mad Men!

Great work Sue Sue. It's your thread if you want it. Thanks for playing this round with me.

Thank you, lavenderblue...I'm thinking about it...I saw that intro, too, and it sort of slowly dawned on me. It was also in an extra, I think, about Sidney, or the making of the film...

o.k....A popular novelist wrote a film where a prominent television secretary was a secondary player on a roster of actors that also included a cast member of *Stalag 17*.. What is the name of this film? Who is the actor featured from *Stalag 17* ? And who is the novelist?

The actor from *Stalag 17* played "Chen" in this 1959 war drama which is still not on DVD.

No, finance. It's not Barbara Hale, even though she was one of my favorite televison secretaries...

the secretary I was thinking of works for a Mr. Drysdale...and in this film she was wielding a grenade...