THEMovieman

Ultimate Movie Trivia

3,204 posts in this topic

Bingo, sixes! The actor I referred to earlier is Neville Brand. He played Chen...

It's your thread!

In Hollywood there are many sister acts. This woman appeared in only three films and married a famous actor. But her sisters were prolific in Hollywood, One was a bona-fide Movie Star.

Can you identify this beautiful and talented family?

Edited by: cujas on Jul 8, 2010 7:39 PM

In case cujas posts and says I?m right, I don?t have one and open this thread to anyone who wants it. I will be gone the rest of the day.

James Clavell was the novelist and author of the previously discussed *Five Gates to Hell* . He also co-wrote a screenplay that was involved in the "greening" of a country whose forest was damaged during filming, resulting in the reseeding of 2,000 pine trees.

What is the name of the film and what country was the recipient of the new greenery?

The screenplay he co-wrote was a true-to-life action adventure film, a blockbuster

from the early sixties....

Sehr, sehr gut, Fraulein...Und zeh thread is yours!

I'm still trying to figure out what director Olivier eulogized on another thread!

Thanks, SueSue?

This filmmaker?s career included a stint with Selznick as well as working with Preston Sturges. He began to make a name for himself in the mid-?40s and gained notice with the release of two of his late-?40s films. He?s best known for working in a couple of genres but his overall filmography is more varied. Admired by French New Wave critics when his reputation in the U.S. was that of a standard ?tough guy? director, his reputation has risen considerably since his death.

Who is he? What are the genres he?s known for? Which legendary contemporary director has singled him out as a primary influence in terms of ?cinematic world view and stylistics??

Is it Ingmar Bergman? Woody Allen would be the current legendary director, if so. I don't know how to describe the genre, expressionistic drama?

I'll take a stab at this--

Henry Hathaway--westerns and noirs

& Martin Scorsese

Good guesses, both?cujas has everything right but the filmmaker?s name?the one I?m talking about is noted for his mastery of visual storytelling. He died while directing and the film?s star took over and finished it?

Since cujas has named the genres, I?ll add some related clues - his breakout was through noir and he became known for a series of westerns with a beloved and iconic star?

Yesss! Anthony Mann?s breakout film was *Desperate* (1947), he went on to make the legendary *Raw Deal* (1948) and several more notable noirs. In the ?50s he made a string of westerns, five with James Stewart including *Winchester 73*, *The Naked Spur* and *The Man From Laramie*?he died while filming *A Dandy in Aspic* (1968) and its star, Laurence Harvey, directed the remainder of the film?Mann was admired by the French New Wave as well as contemporary directors like Scorsese?the thread is yours?

Name at least three classic films in which a major theme was female kleptomania.

Edited by: finance on Jul 13, 2010 10:53 AM

1. *The Locket* (1946)- Laraine Day

2. *Whirlpool* (1949) - Gene Tierney

3. *Remember the Night* (1940) - Barbara Stanwyck

4. Maybe- *Marnie* (1963) - Tippi Hedren

Doesn't get more classic than this

Edited by: lavenderblue19 on Jul 13, 2010 2:21 PM

You've got the thread, Lavender, but before you take it, can you or someone else name a comedy about a female kleptomaniac?

Edited by: finance on Jul 13, 2010 4:44 PM

Thanks.

Here's another question about an interview RO did with a mega classic star.

This actress admitted that while filming a much loved classic film, she needed to wear a back brace.

Who was the actress, name the film and what happened in her personal life that made this necessary?

I wanted to get PENELOPE in, before we moved on, because it's the only "female kleptomania" comedy that I could think of.... Back to Lavender's new question and clues.