THEMovieman

Ultimate Movie Trivia

3,204 posts in this topic

No to all of these answers..... She was very disappointed when a particular role that she wanted went to another actress. What was it?

Another hint: A very choice role had been narrowed down to 2 actresses, one of which was Grace. The leading man was allowed to select which one he wanted, and he selected the other.. Grace was crushed. This helped drive Grace out of Hollywood. Film?

Edited by: finance on Jul 23, 2010 10:57 AM

Edited by: finance on Jul 23, 2010 3:30 PM

Still another hint: The film for which Grace so badly wanted the female lead was a very long mid-'50s film which included one of the few film appearances of a legendary male actor.

Edited by: finance on Jul 24, 2010 10:15 AM

Thanks. Since this is "Ultimate Movie Trivia", I'll give an ultimate type question. Most of you know that Ginger Rogers played supporting roles in "42nd Street" and "Gold Diggers of 1933", two films which featured Dick Powell. Ginger and Dick also appeared together as romantic leads in a movie about two radio singers. The movie featured a song that would become a well known standard at the time. There was also a popular big band in the movie. Some years later, that band would employ a young horn player from Oregon, before he would go into military service. Many years later, that horn player would go on to become a well known musician and band leader on TV. Without any more clues, can you name the movie with Ginger Rogers and Dick Powell as radio singers, the song that became well known, the name of the big band that was featured, and the musician who would later play with the band and then go on to fame on TV? Please, no partial answers. If one person gets part of it and another gets the rest, than we don't know who gets the next turn.

I hope this is right, it?s as close as I can get. But I already knew the movie. That?s how I got this much:

Movie: ?Twenty Million Sweethearts?

Band: Ted Fio Rito and His Band

Song: ?I?ll String Along with You.? (not entirely sure on this point; But, they kept singing and replaying and replaying it enough.)

Future Star who at one point played in Ted Fio Rito?s Band (from Oregon): Doc Severinsen

Edited by: allaboutlana on Jul 26, 2010 2:37 PM

Lana, I am impressed. You are 100% correct and in less than two hours after the question was posted. I was going to throw in a clue about Pat O'Brien being in the picture, but that certainly wasn't necessary. Yes, Doc Severinsen got his start with the Ted Fio Rito orchestra when he was still a teen-ager. The song "I'll String Along With You" became a standard in the thirties. Great job, Lana. It's your turn now.

Thanks. I wasn?t really prepared and was about to just pass it on, but I finally came up with something:

Mysteries, film noir, suspense, and war espionage films are genres that use the device of a flashback, in order for a character to relate their story. But there a few that have a flashback-within-a-flashback-within-a-flashback. The first objective is to name two films that use this technique. There may be more than two, but to win the thread, you must name the two I?m thinking of. They do fall under the genres listed, and they also have a connection to each other, kind of. The only other clue I?ll give at this time is that one was made in 1944 and the other in 1946, and that they have been on TCM. So, name the two films I?m thinking of and the interesting side note that relates the two together (in a matter of speaking). And, as MilesArcher said, please no partial answers.

Edited by: allaboutlana on Jul 27, 2010 8:53 AM

When I first read it, though, I thought of someone else and she is the answer of my next question.

This Oscar-nominated actress also contributed the voice of an unseen character in a major film. Actress? Film? And, how is she heard?

Edited by: allaboutlana on Jul 28, 2010 10:13 AM

I got lucky on the prior post similar to this, so I?ll elaborate on:

This Oscar-nominated actress also contributed the voice of an unseen minor character in a major film. Actress? Film? And, how is she heard?

with

This Oscar-nominated actress should have a good story about how she got the ?role? of the voice in this movie, and she could tell us, if she would grant an interview with Robert Osborne. She was not a big star at the time of her lending her voice for this film, as she had only made 8 movies prior to this. One final remark: In WWII, wives would do this in order to communicate with their beaux/husbands serving their country.

Edited by: allaboutlana on Jul 28, 2010 4:58 PM

For any takers:

Made in 1943, this wartime movie features a future leading lady?s voice. She is a wife who?s sending her husband a message via a record.

No, not Jane Wyman. She is an Oscar-nominated actress, who has never won. The previous posts by me are all about this, too.

Edited by: allaboutlana on Jul 29, 2010 1:08 PM

I only started this yesterday morning at 10:00 a.m., but I want to move on.

So, the next time you see DESTINATION TOKYO, listen out for the voice on the record that Mike gets from his wife. The voice you hear is??Eleanor Parker. The last time I saw the movie in the past year or two, I thought that?s got to be Eleanor Parker, and sure enough, when I googled it, she?s the voice.

THREAD IS OPEN

A well-known character actor played an elevator operator in at least 2 classic movies. Name the actor and the movies.

Edited by: finance on Jul 30, 2010 10:52 AM

Edited by: finance on Jul 30, 2010 3:43 PM