DownGoesFrazier

Name the pre-1970 film

3,826 posts in this topic

Danke.

WWII Inteligence plots make a rich field. Let's stay with it.

American bomber shot down in France; one fatality, other crew members captured.

3. Those tricked into filling out the fake forms give the enemy material to work with.

Not *The Rack.*

4. A German officer, who has spent time in The US and speaks excellent English, represents himself as a double agent, trying to help the Allies. It's a lie.

4. For the Germans, its a problem play. They reason that a big raid is coming, but they don't know which of four likely cities will be the target. The _prisoners_ don't know either, but it may be possible to find the answer, based on piecing toghther the scraps of information the prisoners _do_ have.

Not *13 Rue Madeleine,* not *36 Hours*

5. Just listening to mealtime conversations, the German investigators hear a story about an American pilot who passed out on a training run. Putting that together with news about new oxygen sources being acquired, they sermise that the Allies are planning a very _high_ flight for the expected raid (oxy needed at higher altitudes). This helps eliminate one of the target cities.

At almost 100 Views, plot-point questions are not working well for this title, sooo...

6. The actor playing one of the characters here (the German who spoke good American) had started his career using his birth name. Some nine years before this film, he started using a screen name, taking the name of one of the characters he had played. Later in life, he took home an Oscar under this new name.

Cast Role call: "Sheriff Stan Blan" and "Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane" have roles in this film. And I thought I gave it away with the last clue -- about the performer who took the name of a character he had played as his professional name. Hint: it was _not_ L.Q. Jones.

It's 1951's *Target Unknown* . One of the prisoners manages an escape and, through the French Underground, gets a message to the Allies that the city -- the site of huge fuel storage -- has been identified as the most likely target. Gas trucks are hauling the fuel away, and antiaircraft guns are being set up to wait for the raid. I.E, the Allies are successful.

Open thread. I'll try another one, a better choice, if no one else logs on with a title.

(The "role call" clues I left were meant to lead to Mark Stevens, Alex Nicol, and James Best. The broadest clue was in reference to Gig Young, who started his career with another name, but then took the name of the character he had portrayed in *The Gay Sisters* .)

Edited by: cmvgor on Jul 25, 2010 11:58 PM