THEMovieman

Hitchcock Mania

1,107 posts in this topic

Not that one?here?s a round-up of clues, plus one?

1. A first for Hitchcock and the British film industry (he was still in England)

2. A momentous change in movie-making was going on

3. The film was in progress when the change occurred

4. The result was two versions of the same film

5. The momentous change was also the reason for the two actresses; one seen, one unseen

BLACKMAIL. A woman who I met once claimed to be the granddaughter of Joan Barry, who dubbed the voice of Anny Ondra for this film. Another version is silent, and not burdened with Anny Ondra's thick accent. (Suspiciously, the woman also claimed that Barry was still alive and well, although imdb states that she would have been dead when I had this conversation.)

Edited by: phroso on Jul 14, 2010 10:36 AM

That?s right phroso. Sound came in while Hitchcock was making *Blackmail* and the studio insisted he change it from a silent to a talkie while the film was in progress. Hitchcock brought in British Joan Barry (who later starred in *Rich and Strange* for him). The story goes that while Anny Ondra was filmed emoting, Joan was on the sidelines speaking her dialogue into a mic. *Blackmail* was the first feature-length talkie for Hitchcock and Britain. The talkie was screened more than the silent version. A theater here is showing the silent (BFI archive print) next week, with orchestra, and I?m going to see it ? which is why I was thinking of it in the first place?nice guesses by all & phroso, good job?it?s yours?

Thanks, Eve.

Next question:

This Hitchcock classic is officially based on a novel, but the author of that novel claims that the original inspiration for the film came from a short story that he wrote a few years earlier, entitled "The Real Bad Friend." Can you name the movie and the author of the source novel?

Robert Bloch and PSYCHO are both correct. I've read "The Real Bad Friend" and, although it bears almost no resemblance to PSYCHO, certain plot twists were unmistakeably re-used in FIGHT CLUB. Nice going, lavender. The thread is yours . . .

Thanks,Phroso. great question. And your story about beautiful Joan Barry was so interesting.

One of the characters in a Hitchcock film was named after a real killer that had been convicted. Name the character and of course the film.

Name at least 6 performers who appeared in 3 or more of Hitchcock's post-1939 films (other than Hitchcock himself).

Edited by: finance on Jul 16, 2010 10:22 AM

Correct, Eve. Also Ingrid Bergman. It's amazing how many performers appeared in exactly two of his post-1939 films............Your thread.

Correct, Eve. Also Ingrid Bergman. It's amazing how many performers appeared in exactly two of his post-1939 films............Your thread.

Thanks?I tend to forget Ingrid Bergman did three because *Under Capricorn* is somewhat obscure and I?ve never seen it?

One of the stars of a Hitchcock film demanded her wardrobe be done by a famous Paris design house?the fashion house demanded screen credit?the studio demanded a discount on the clothes.

What film? What actress? What designer?

I had a feeling you?d like that one, lavender?interesting point is that the sources I referenced imply that everyone (Dietrich, Dior, Paramount) got their way?but IMDB lists Dior as uncredited?great job, the thread is yours?

LOL- I knew you knew I'd get that one! We know each other too well!

Thanks eve,and it was a great question.

As long as we're thinking about wardrobe- In one of Hitch's films- the leading lady starts out by wearing colors that are cheerful, as the film goes on, the colors become more and more drab.

Name the film and actress.

On the "movie trivia" thread, Eve and I have just identified 17 well-known performers who were in exactly two of Hitchcock's post-1939 films. Which of these performers had the greatest time span between his or her two Hitchcock films?

Edited by: finance on Jul 19, 2010 10:42 AM

Edited by: finance on Jul 19, 2010 3:29 PM

Edmund Gwenn--15 years

*Foreign Correspondent*--1940

to

*The Trouble With Harry*--1955