THEMovieman

Hitchcock Mania

1,062 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Jessie Royce Landis may have been Hitchcock's favorite mother type.

She played Grace Kelly's mother in "To Catch a Thief".

And though they were near the same age, she also played Cary Grant's mother in "North by Northwest".

Jessie Royce Landis finally appeared as Grace Kelly's mother in "The Swan", which was Grace's Swan Song for the movies.

You got it Princess. Jesse Royce Landis was the mom to Grace Kelly in To Catch A Thief and The Swan and Cary Grant's mom in North By Northwest. Good thinking, your thread Princess :)

3 easy questions--

1) How did Jimmy Stewart break his leg in "Rear Window"?

2) In "Vertigo" where was Kim Novak's shop girl character originally from?

3) What Hitchcock film is based on a French novel?

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

3 easy questions--

1) How did Jimmy Stewart break his leg in "Rear Window"?

2) In "Vertigo" where was Kim Novak's shop girl character originally from?

3) What Hitchcock film is based on a French novel?

Stewart's character in REAR WINDOW broke his leg photographing a drag strip race.

Judy in VERTIGO was from Salina, Kansas.

VERTIGO was based on a French novel, ".....Du Morts".

41 minutes ago, Arturo said:

Stewart's character in REAR WINDOW broke his leg photographing a drag strip race.

Excellent and you should have seen my face when she said Salina Kansas. Hitchcock really got it in the middle of Kansas. LOL

Arturo, it's your turn.

21 hours ago, Arturo said:

20 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Excellent and you should have seen my face when she said Salina Kansas. Hitchcock really got it in the middle of Kansas. LOL

Arturo, it's your turn.

Arturo,  your thread awaits you.....

Thank you Princess.

There is a player that was featured in 2 Hitchcock movies, as well as in 3 episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents.  During this same period, this individual also was in 2 films by another director equally renowned as Hitchcock.

Name the player, the 2 Hitchcock films, and for extra credit, the other director and that director's films.

48 minutes ago, Arturo said:

Thank you Princess.

There is a player that was featured in 2 Hitchcock movies, as well as in 3 episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents.  During this same period, this individual also was in 2 films by another director equally renowned as Hitchcock.

Name the player, the 2 Hitchcock films, and for extra credit, the other director and that director's films.

Joseph Cotten was in Shadow of A Doubt (1943) and Under Capricorn (1949) He was in 3 episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents, they were:

1. Dead Weight 2. Together 3. Breakdown. As far as the same period goes, not sure what you meant, but Cotten was in Orson Welles Citizen Kane('41) and  The Magnificient Ambersons(42) ????????

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Joseph Cotten was in Shadow of A Doubt (1943) and Under Capricorn (1949) He was in 3 episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents, they were:

1. Dead Weight 2. Together 3. Breakdown. As far as the same period goes, not sure what you meant, but Cotten was in Orson Welles Citizen Kane('41) and  The Magnificient Ambersons(42) ????????

Lav, good try, but not correct.  Maybe I was too vague; the person I am thinking of is a woman.  As for during the same period, your examples are along the lines of what I mean.  She did the 2 movies for the other director in the approximate span of time she did the 2 for Hitchcock, as well as the 3 tv episodes.

The actress had a minor role in the second film.she ever made, which starred an actress who also was in the second Hitchcock film.

Hitchcock put Vera Miles in 2 movies:   The Wrong Man and Psycho.

She was also in 2 classics by John Ford: The Searchers and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

Hitchcock also wanted her for Vertigo but she became pregnant and had to bow out.

5 hours ago, Arturo said:

The actress had a minor role in the second film.she ever made, which starred an actress who also was in the second Hitchcock film.

See above

On 2/27/2019 at 12:07 PM, Arturo said:

Arturo, found this on page 2, pls respond to Princess and if not correct pls leave a new clue Thanks

Princess, you got it!  You got the extra credit points as well.  Great job!

Your thread.

On 2/25/2019 at 6:55 PM, Arturo said:

Thank you Princess.

Whoa! according to IMDB, Vera Miles was in 1 episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents. What were the 3 episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents?

Lavender, I apologize.  She was in one episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents and in two episodes of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour.  I combined the two series in my mind, I guess.  Sorry for the confusion.

It happens to all of us Arturo. I went by that clue, (although Vera Miles came to mind since The Searchers is on my list of my 10 fav films but discounted her because of the clue) LOL because of the time I put into your question I now have a Hitch question next time it's my turn LOL  Princess baby, it's your thread :)

• Thanks 1

Alfred Hitchcock was a godsend to this actor. He had just fled Nazi Germany in fear of his life. He was living as a destitute Refugee in Paris when Hitchcock contacted him for a movie role.

When you identify this actor, also name the Hitchcock movie that he was featured in.

12 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Alfred Hitchcock was a godsend to this actor. He had just fled Nazi Germany in fear of his life. He was living as a destitute Refugee in Paris when Hitchcock contacted him for a movie role.

When you identify this actor, also name the Hitchcock movie that he was featured in.

I'm taking a guess with this one, I was thinking it might be Albert Basserman in Foreign Correspondent or Peter Lorre in the first version of The Man Who Knew Too Much ?? I'll go with Lorre and The Man Who Knew Too Much ????

3 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

I'm taking a guess with this one, I was thinking it might be Albert Basserman in Foreign Correspondent or Peter Lorre in the first version of The Man Who Knew Too Much ?? I'll go with Lorre and The Man Who Knew Too Much ????

Lav, as usual you guessed right!  It's one of my favorite actors Peter Lorre.

A few years back I got to read this very well annotated and academic biography of Peter Lorre. It specifically told about how he had to escape Nazi Germany and the struggle that he was having after reaching Paris because it had  been too dangerous to take any of his possessions or a lot of money with him.

Lav, it's all yours.

Thanks Princess, that was an excellent question and bit of film trivia :)

A star of a Hitch film took an important prop after the film was completed. Years later he gave his co-star the prop as a gift. Years later the co-star gave Hitch the prop as a gift. Hitchcock film the 2 were in, the 2 stars of the film and the prop ????

• Like 1

A key prop, if you'll pardon the expression, was a key to the wine cellar in Claude Rains' mansion in "Notorious".  I believe that Cary Grant took the key and gave it to Ingrid Bergman.  Years later, Ingrid gave the key to Alfred Hitchcock.  

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

A key prop, if you'll pardon the expression, was a key to the wine cellar in Claude Rains' mansion in "Notorious".  I believe that Cary Grant took the key and gave it to Ingrid Bergman.  Years later, Ingrid gave the key to Alfred Hitchcock.  

Correct Miles. Cary took that key to the wine cellar and kept it for years,  He then gave it to Ingrid Bergman telling her that it brought him good luck and hoped it would bring good luck to her. Years later at a tribute to Hitchcock, Bergman was making a speech at the tribute and presented Hitchcock with the key. He was very pleased. Good work Miles, your thread

On 2/19/2019 at 6:45 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

next

In a Hitch film, the co-star and a supporting actress play mother and daughter. Just 1 year later the 2 played mother and daughter again in a non-Hitchcock film. Who were the 2 actresses and the 2 films????

Does this question sound familiar?  It should.  It was posted by Lavenderblue recently and the answer was Jessie Royce Landis and Grace Kelly.  Well, there is another pair of actresses that fit this question.  This time, the Hitchcock movie was not the first time they had worked together.  Can you name the two actresses and the movies they made together?

11 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Does this question sound familiar?  It should.  It was posted by Lavenderblue recently and the answer was Jessie Royce Landis and Grace Kelly.  Well, there is another pair of actresses that fit this question.  This time, the Hitchcock movie was not the first time they had worked together.  Can you name the two actresses and the movies they made together?

Teresa Wright and Patricia Collinge worked together in 3 films. The first was a Non Hitchcock film, The Little Foxes (1941) but they didn't play mother and daughter. instead aunt and niece. The 2nd film the 2 made together was the Hitchcock film Shadow of a Doubt (1943), here they play mother and daughter. The 3rd film they made together was Casanova Brown (1944), a Non-Hitch film as mother and daughter.