Sign in to follow this  
allaboutlana

Do You Know Me? II: 1900 - 1970

1,262 posts in this topic

Thanks, Miles

Intelligent,talented and so Handsome would best describe him. He was a heart throb. He starred in a TV series about a Korean War Vet who stays in the Pacific after the war. He was an accomplished sculptor, and writer. One of his art pieces was displayed at MOMA and he was a literary critic for the LA Herald Examiner. He turned down a part in a MM film.( the film wound up being recast without MM anyway) Retired from Hollywood at a young age to write novels and plays. Can you name this Gorgeous Guy?

Yes, Gardner McKay. I've been trying for years to get copies of Adventures In Paradise . I was 8-11 and my sister was 12-15 when the show was on, and we both had HUGE crushes on him.

You take the thread, Finance-Good Work.

Edited by: lavenderblue19 on Jan 11, 2011 4:37 PM

I was a big band leader who was featured with my band in a number of minor musical films in the years just before and during WW II, usually as the main attraction.

Yes, Kay Kyser was asking music trivia questions years before our Miss Cujas came along. Now, we'll make this one short. Do you know me? In my younger days, I was a singer with Kay Kyser's band. Later, I had a very popular TV talk/variety show that was on five days a week for the Westinghouse Broadcast Group. I even had a hit record. Do you know me?

Yes, not to be confused with Kirk's son. I had a hit with "The Men In My Little Girl's Life". My TV show was one of the first to feature a co-host, who would be on for the entire week. We first did the show from Cleveland, because Westinghouse had a studio there. Later, we moved it to Philadelphia.

Good job, finance. You're up.

I was a veteran of the London stage and Broadway who played versatile character roles in scores of Hollywood films of the '30s, '40s, and '50s, most memorably as a suave villain or cold-blooded authority figure. I died shortly after completing my part in the shooting of an Oscar-winning '60s film.

?I was born in 1927, the son of a dirt farmer. I had little formal education and seemed to be on the path of another juvenile delinquent. So, I was sent to live with my brother in Miami in 1942, for what America had to offer. But, while there, I was subjected to much hostility and prejudice. I left for New York at 18 and took menial jobs to survive. Doors were shut in my face, but that just made my determination to make good even stronger. On a whim, I decided to audition for an acting job with a notable theater, but I was told so emphatically that I was no good, that it only encouraged me to be better at it. On my second audition, I was accepted, and soon after I was praised for my work on the stage in various productions. In 1950, Hollywood called me and I decided to give it a try. My first film was a promising start, but then offers were given to me that were not very demanding. I wanted the films I made to add something to peoples? lives and to have integrity. In 1958, I was given one that really spoke to me, and thereon, I was one of Hollywood?s most in-demand and respected actors. In the 1970s and 80s, I tried my hand at directing and producing. I hope people today think of me as an actor whose work and word meant a lot to him, and that each man is to be treated with dignity.?

?Do you know me??

Edited by: allaboutlana on Jan 17, 2011 10:54 AM

?Yes, I am Sidney Poitier, star of The Defiant Ones; In the Heat of the Night; A Patch of Blue; To Sir, with Love; Guess Who?s Coming to Dinner; and Oscar winner for Lilies of the Field.?

Your turn.

Thanks, Lana...

I'm a character actor with a commanding voice and the body to go with it. I'm usually cast as an authority figure. I can look menacing if the role calls for it, or just the opposite, a kindly Pa or good guy cop. I'm delighted to say I've been in many classic movies of the 40's.

Who am I?

I'm taking a wild guess with this one since he was a cute, short guy, but Charles Winninger? I'm guessing him because he was in a Lucille Ball film playing a character named Pa Williams, and the Lucy episode I'm thinking of was he and Fred did a vaudeville routine together. He was supposed to be Fred's old partner?