Sign in to follow this  
JimCM

Thelma Todd Day

13 posts in this topic

TCM's 'Summer Under the Stars' will honor the great Thelma Todd on Monday, August 30 with 24 hours of her films, including shorts she made with Charlie Chase(Dollar Dizzy, High C's), and Laurel & Hardy(Another Fine Mess, Chickens Come Home). Also lots of Todd-Pitts shorts and Todd-Kellys, but it doesn't include my all-time favorite Thelma Todd short, "Babes in the Goods."

I can't wait! :) It sounds too good to be true. Hopefully no one dies a few days before, and they decide to change their schedule that day!!!!

Somehow, I actually caught Babes in the Goods(they gave fair warning, and I remembered to record it!) and I would say it's my favorite as well! Love Arthur Housman as the drunk watching it all thru the window! :)

Wow, TCM ran Babes in the Goods and I missed it? And how about that striptease-in-silhoutte that Thelma does in the department store window as a delighted Arthur Housman watches from the sidewalk?

Just watched "Beauty and the Bus" with Thelma Todd and Patsy Kelly. It was pretty good ; I was wondering if Laurel and Hardy might have done a similar story, they specialized in destroying cars.

Edited by: mrroberts on Jul 18, 2010 11:28 PM

Thank you, both of you, for the info. I was wondering how in the world I missed it. It looks like the shorts info for that day was posted here in Message Boards on the same day (April 3, 2007), and it was posted after "Babes in the Goods" had already been shown. :-( I sure hope they will show it again.

Thelma Todd Day was great!!! Thank you TCM. Dollar Dizzy and Hi C's were nice surprises. My only suggestion would have been that instead of showing the Joe E Brown features, Horse Feathers, Monkey Business and Bohemian Girl (Thelma only had a quick cameo) because they've aired some many times lately, would have been to show more shorts like Love Fever with the Boyfriends, a Harry Langdon or two, the other 3 Chase shorts and more Pitts/Kelly. But all in all this was a real gift from TCM!!!

I miss Thelma. Bring her back. How about Corsair, This Is the Night, Speak Easily and Babes in the Goods...?

Hear hear.

I hope they don't see this as an "annual" event. Monthly would be more like it. I'm still waiting for three Todd-Pitts shorts I haven't seen (out of 18 that I know of), But everything they showed this time has been on before.