Sign in to follow this  
charliechaplin101

Summer Under The Stars 2010

57 posts in this topic

The Student Prince is one of my favorite silents. I almost died with delight when I realized TCM was showing it and in prime time no less. Recording it right now. :)

I was a little peeved to see it only get 3 stars though.

The scene when Norma drowns the beer is just awesome. And the love scene which is on now is just heavenly!

Edited by: Kinokima on Aug 12, 2010 8:54 PM

What's more, Norma Shearer's day turned out to be a mini Robert Montgomery day. I was happy to finally see *Their Own Desire*.

And yeah, *The Student Prince* in prime time was awesome.

Just wanted to say thanks to TCM for showcasing Norma Shearer today. She really deserved it. She may not have been the greatest actress of the golden age, but she was arguably the greatest star. I'll never forget the first time I saw her in "The Women". She blew me away with her beauty and performance. She outshined Crawford and all the other great ladies in it. She really had it all and she's far too forgotten today. The lineup of movies was great too. It was nice to see some of her more obscure titles which are never aired.

And celluloidkid, Kathryn Grayson was AWESOME. I'm so glad TCM gave her a day. One of the most beautiful women to ever hit the screen, and she could sing like no other.

MovieJoe, agree with you on all points!!! I'm not a huge Kathryn Grayson fan, but it was wonderful to see films from the 40's on TCM (a rarity more and more for SUTS)!

The Margaret O'Brien day yesterday was just to wonderful. Only problem is I just couldn't stop watching. Even recorded the last one with Danny Thomas which I haven't seen before. Just watched that and thought it was terrific. THE SECRET GARDEN is a favorite. They don't have child talents like Margaret or Dean Stockwell today. Not even close. Those two were phenomenal.