Sign in to follow this  
hlywdkjk

Diorama Artist as a Career Choice?

75 posts in this topic

*But the other image is not for In The Good Old Summertime.* - hlywdkjk

Judy played harp in two movies???

Is that first one *Yankee Doodle Dandy* ?

*"Is that first one "Yankee Doodle Dandy"?"* - smileys

Lord, no. You don't think the two in that image look alot like the pair in the *Bitter Sweet* image?

Don't know about Garland's harp playing on film. Definitely didn't know she played one in *In The Good Old Summertime*. But the image was attributed to a different film.

Kyle In Hollywood

*You don't think the two in that image look alot like the pair in the Bitter Sweet image?* - hlywdkjk

Actually, I thought he looked like Tommy Dix in *Best Foot Forward* . :-) But she definitely didn't look like Lucille Ball. I was reaching with *Dandy* . But now that you mention it, Eddy/MacDonald it is.

Well that must be Abbott and Costello in *Mexican Hayride* posted with the *Mrs. Miniver* one.

I'm guessing *The Chocolate Soldier* for the second of the two before that. As for that first one, I'm stumped. Is that Gable?

Thanks for posting these by the way. You always manage to come up with interesting things to show us.

Kyle wrote: Don't know about Garland's harp playing on film. Definitely didn't know she played one in *In The Good Old Summertime*. But the image was attributed to a different film.

She did play one there, but the dress is decidely different.

5879464450_d84d57b744.jpg

*"I'm guessing "The Chocolate Soldier" for the second of the two..."* - molo14

Yep. You get credit for that (and even for "Mrs. Miniver" seeing as no one else actually posted it.)

*"Well that must be Abbott and Costello in "Mexican Hayride"..."*

Nope.

*"Is that Gable?"*

Yep.

Kyle In Hollywood

*"She did play one there, but the dress is decidely different."* - filmlover

Thanks for the screencap, 'filmlover'.

There are just four most postings (of two images each) left to add to the thread. Since we're falling behind, should I wait a day or two until everyone gets caught up with the one's already posted? Though the ones still left to be put up will be pretty easy to figure out.

Kyle In Hollywood

Okay I jumped the gun on the Abbott and Costello one. I've seen all their films so I'm pretty sure which one it is now, but since I goofed I'll give someone else a chance.

Yep.

Kyle In Hollywood

Well, I am definitely stumped. I was going to say "White Cargo" with Hedy and Walter Pidgeon. Soon as I saw her with that dark makeup, I thought, "Call me...Tandelayo." But Gable wasn't in "White Cargo."

*"But Gable wasn't in "White Cargo."* - filmlover

Oops. I'm wrong. I thought he was. Another I've not seen. (I'm confusing that with *Red Dust*, I guess.)

So *White Cargo* - and Walter Pidgeon - is correct. And go ahead molo and fill in the answer to the A&C image. There's still a backlog here.

Kyle In Hollywood

*Bataan* , *Presenting Lily Mars* , *Life Begins for Andy Hardy* , and I refuse to get suckered into guessing the Jeanette MacDonald movie. :-)

*"Bataan", "Presenting Lily Mars", "Life Begins for Andy Hardy"..."* - smileys

Thank you, sir. I thought everyone was getting bored with these postings.

*"...and I refuse to get suckered into guessing the Jeanette MacDonald movie."*

I don't blame ya. "Once bitten, twice shy."

I find it interesting that, from these 30+ images, one can definitely tell which stars MGM considered their most important.

Kyle In Hollywood

I think that the unnamed Jeanette MacDonald movie is "Smilin' Through" and that is Brian Aherne with her.

I know the two newest ones but I want to give someone else a chance.

*Crossroads* , *Girl Crazy* , and *Lady Be Good* . Not being a Bette Davis fan, I can't name any of her MGM movies.

The one posted with *Lady Be Good* is *Susan and God*, I think. I'm pretty sure that is Joan Crawford.

Well, you guys checked those off in a hurry.

Yep, it is *Crossroads*, *Girl Crazy*, *Susan And God* and *Lady Be Good*.

And, because I think everyone has forgotten about it, the Judy Garland at the harp is attributed to *Little Nellie Kely*.

I am pleased so many of you found these interesting. I'll see what I else I can dig up for your amusement.

Kyle In Hollywood

BTW -

I had made all the Kapralik images "private" in my flickr account to keep folks from peeking at upcoming postings. But now that all the images have been uploaded to this thread, I've reverted back to them being accessible by everyone. One can see them as a group at this link -

Or one can click through on any individual image. Many of the images are available in larger versions.

Kyle In Hollywood

I didn't forget the unknown poster! I eventually Googled "Judy Garland harp" trying to identify the image, but never found anything. *Little Nellie Kelly* is one of my favorites, too. I've just never noticed a harp. Or my memory stinks. Probably the latter. Maybe she played it near the beginning while singing Pretty Girl Milking Her Cow ? Thanks again for this gallery. I'll try to check out the full-sized images when they stop kicking me off every few minutes. :-)