Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kilduff, John

Why I like Turner Classic Movies...

51 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Hmmmm...anybody else here wondering what would now be the 35 year old John Kilduff's thoughts about TCM?

(...now, I don't know about YOU, but it was at JUST about that age of MY life when I started becoming this now cynical older man you folks see here on a regular basis now days!!!) ;) 

LOL

I do see the ages in the oldest posts (2001)  and wonder where they are now. The teenagers approaching midlife, the older folks probably not with us anymore. I'm trying to find one particular thread where they protest the "Look for the Silver Lining" morning promo going away. I haven't found it yet. And then there was a thread that went on forever entitled "Seeking Hollywood Revue of 1929". That became a museum of early talkie films. I would say it was the longest thread on these boards until the "I Just Watched" thread came along. That one is 470+ pages and counting and is three years old. That has to be some kind of record.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

I do see the ages in the oldest posts (2001)  and wonder where they are now. The teenagers approaching midlife, the older folks probably not with us anymore. I'm trying to find one particular thread where they protest the "Look for the Silver Lining" morning promo going away. I haven't found it yet. And then there was a thread that went on forever entitled "Seeking Hollywood Revue of 1929". That became a museum of early talkie films. I would say it was the longest thread on these boards until the "I Just Watched" thread came along. That one is 470+ pages and counting and is three years old. That has to be some kind of record.

Is this the "Silver Lining" thread?

http://forums.tcm.com/topic/45407-tcm-changed-their-on-air-graphics-today/

Is this the "Hollywood Revue" thread?

http://forums.tcm.com/topic/18549-seeking-copy-of-hollywood-revuew-of-1929/

Here's some old TCM clip art I came across while putting together my schedules project.

Robert Osborne ca. 2001
http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/clipart-Osborne_Portrait_SecPic 2001.gif

Page not found/404 error message
http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/clipart-PageNotFound1.jpg

Page header logos
http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/clipart-logo2.png       http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/clipart-nav_icon_april.gif

Home page images                                                    
http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/clipart-tcm_city.jpeg            http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/clipart-servgirl.jpg     

Message Board banner
http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/clipart-messageboards_hdr.gif

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Page not found/404 error message
http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/clipart-PageNotFound1.jpg                                          

I love this one. Isn't there also another one with Charlie Chaplin and a violin?

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

I love this one. Isn't there also another one with Charlie Chaplin and a violin?

Perhaps, that was a bit before my time here.

9 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Nope, but HEY, you're REAL close here anyway, TB. And I mean REAL close here, dude!

It was Buster Keaton with a bass fiddle here...

giphy.gif

(...naaah, just kiddin'...couldn't resist) ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Nope, but HEY, you're REAL close here anyway, TB. And I mean REAL close here, dude!

It was Buster Keaton with a bass fiddle here...

giphy.gif

(...naaah, just kiddin'...couldn't resist) ;)

Actually there was a photo of Chaplin holding a violin that came up on the TCM Database if you typed in a title that was not in the database. At least it used to do that.

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

it was at JUST about that age of MY life when I started becoming this now cynical older man you folks see here on a regular basis now days!!!

I would have guessed you were already this cynical at 5 years old.  ?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, calvinnme said:

I'm trying to find one particular thread where they protest the "Look for the Silver Lining" morning promo going away.

I always thought of that promo being used before movies like The Days of Wine and Roses or Psycho.

3 minutes ago, Fedya said:

I would have guessed you were already this cynical at 5 years old.  ?

LOL

Well, okay. At 13 maybe, anyway.

BUT, only 'cause that darn Mikey Carey in our 8th grade Social Studies class kept tellin' me that our teacher, that cute as hell young Miss Teeple, had a thing for me, and only later to discover and after all those winks I shot her, he was puttin' me on about that!

(...that kind'a thing'll make ya real cynical early on in life, ya know!)

;)

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

The first one is not the Silver Lining thread. The change to the morning promo came between 2006-2008. The second one IS the Hollywood Revue thread. ThelmaTodd was angry that TCM would not archive the thread for posterity and deleted all of her entries. That is why there are so many X's in the posts. I hope LawrenceA never does that in the "Just Watched" thread.

Sometimes it is very special to look back to better times.  I hope LawrenceA never does that in the "Just Watched" thread. I would be okay with a look back from LawrenceA or TopBilled. I'm thinking "Yesterday, When I Was Young," from Roy Clark.

This was a real blast from the past. Sort of strange looking back now after 15-16 years.  TCM didn't go the way of AMC fortunately. The channel still remains classic oriented. It would have been nice if RO had been able to sit down with Doris Day, like one poster suggested. But what you can tell then and now, is the sheer love people had and have for the station and all it stands for. That is truly special.

And wherever the original poster, John, is, he'd be 35 now, and I hope he is still in love with the station like he was back in 2002.

The weirdest thing about this thread is seeing them all complain about AMC way back in 2002. I wonder what they would think now about all the new shows/ series and how there's nothing "classic" even occasionally shown. 

Now instead of feeling nostalgic over the movies shown, I'm often nostalgic of TCMs promos. I love stumbling across one when watching an old recording.
I miss the animated logos, like the King Kong fighting off the planes. I loved the "Silver Lining" opening theme because I'm a Chet Baker fan.

And nothing got you into the mood to watch a great old movie than the original big feature presentation fanfare-why did they EVER get rid of it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2ClxFJIvq8

If you allow it to go to the next video, it's a swell TCM "brand" montage featuring Joe Jackson singing Jumpin Jive (unfortunately containing a few clips of Bill Cosby saying "TCM") I only barely remember those. Ah the days when they could commission such great, artistic promos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqNuu0VDWd0
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

The weirdest thing about this thread is seeing them all complain about AMC way back in 2002. I wonder what they would think now about all the new shows/ series and how there's nothing "classic" even occasionally shown. 

AMC had been going downhill since about 2000, but then in Oct 2002 it was like someone flipped a switch and the classics were completely gone and AMC started playing post 1980 movies. One of the first modern films they showed was "Officer and a Gentleman" (1982) with every bit of nudity and every bit of profanity removed. With that done, you could hardly tell what was going on and Oscar winner Lou Gossett Jr. was left with about three lines. I don't like AMC at all to this day, but I think they would have gone under if they had kept that up. They were smart enough to come up with original programming and show things like the Three Stooges and quite a few old 60s and 70s Westerns that don't have to be so heavily edited.

19 hours ago, jimmymac71 said:

Sometimes it is very special to look back to better times.  I hope LawrenceA never does that in the "Just Watched" thread. I would be okay with a look back from LawrenceA or TopBilled. I'm thinking "Yesterday, When I Was Young," from Roy Clark.

Maybe you understood me, maybe not. What I was saying is that I hope LawrenceA never gets mad and deletes all of his reviews in the "I Just Watched Thread", which is what ThelmaTodd did in the "Seeking Hollywood Revue" thread. I'd love a look back from LawrenceA, TopBilled, or anybody else who has been around here awhile.

17 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

Maybe you understood me, maybe not. What I was saying is that I hope LawrenceA never gets mad and deletes all of his reviews in the "I Just Watched Thread", which is what ThelmaTodd did in the "Seeking Hollywood Revue" thread. I'd love a look back from LawrenceA, TopBilled, or anybody else who has been around here awhile.

Not sure I follow. Do you mean looking back at how TCM has evolved, or how the message boards have evolved?

2 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Not sure I follow. Do you mean looking back at how TCM has evolved, or how the message boards have evolved?

Either would be great.

4 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

Either would be great.

Well I try not to look back too much. But here goes:

Message boards

There are people I loved posting with on TCM's boards who have passed away, or else just stopped participating for other reasons...and I miss them. But there are so many good new people who join us each week, sharing their views on classic film, that it always keeps things interesting.

Probably my least favorite thing about the boards, and it's not because I resist change...is I don't like the huge system upgrades they do every two or three three years. Posts get lost, whole threads get wiped out, and then there's the fact we have to learn how to re-navigate the site. I can see why they want to make improvements, but there has to be a better way to do it, not all at once. Should be more gradual and ongoing, in my opinion.

TCM content

As for the channel itself and its programming, I love how almost every MGM, RKO and WB title in the Turner Library cycles through every few years. I assume the programmers have a way of tracking what hasn't aired in awhile and they create themes or birthday tributes specifically to get those neglected titles back into rotation. Some titles slip by them but not many.

One thing I do not like is they focus too much on certain household names. In particular they seem afraid to give Bette Davis films a rest and they're afraid to give Cary Grant films a rest. I know those stars have lots of fans, and I certainly like those stars too...but there are other great talents who could develop a following if they were promoted. That can't happen if there is a continuous obligation to get so many Bette Davis films on the air each month. Sometimes their scheduling choices indirectly promote the idea there were only ten big stars ever in Hollywood when of course we know there hundreds of big names. 

And they do not promote film as history. They promote film as something cultural, which seems too political for my liking.

I'd love to see an ongoing series where they focus on all the titles they have from a given year. Like 1943, for example. I remember reading an archived newspaper from November 1943 where a lot of people were not celebrating Thanksgiving that year, due to rationing (turkeys were hard to come by!); and with so many loved ones being overseas. Plus because the country was in the throes of war, with no end in sight, there wasn't a lot to be thankful about probably. Can you imagine this happening? It never even crossed my mind that some holidays were not observed during the war, or at least not observed as we traditionally observe them.

If TCM directed itself more to an awareness of actual history, they could show films that were released from November 1943 and have some history professor or other such expert on the air describing the climate of the country when those films came out and how Thanksgiving had been canceled or not celebrated by some families. Like we would really get a sense of how those films came to us with an understanding of the unusual time in which they were made and seen. 

19 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

If TCM directed itself more to an awareness of actual history, they could show films that were released from November 1943 and have some history professor or other such expert on the air describing the climate of the country when those films came out and how Thanksgiving had been canceled or not celebrated by some families. Like we would really get a sense of how those films came to us with an understanding of the unusual time in which they were made and seen. 

I think that they fear alienating the more casual viewer, if they dedicated air time in a more curated manner as regards historical context & detail. Plus it would possibly require more wine club ads to fund the original programming/guests. But, I like the idea - it's something the website could well benefit from & something that the old Morlocks blog used to touch on in places.

• Thanks 1

There are numerous individuals on this message board with fond memories of what use to be. Isn't that why we watch TCM in the first place? No other channel plays movies from such a wonderful time period. For decades, we have claimed music, television, and movies have made for more violence. That could be even more true now. I watch TCM because it makes me feel good, taking me back to times I wish I could have been a part of. Many people on this message board seem very dedicated, and I wonder when they sleep. I recently asked for a Spencer Tracy film title, that turned out to be a Humphrey Bogart film. Now, I'm looking for someone who could make a time machine for me. Back to 1885, as in, "Back To The Future III." This 21st Century is harsh. I wish for better times. TCM is as close as I can get. I don't just like TCM, I love TCM!

30 minutes ago, jimmymac71 said:

There are numerous individuals on this message board with fond memories of what use to be. Isn't that why we watch TCM in the first place? No other channel plays movies from such a wonderful time period. For decades, we have claimed music, television, and movies have made for more violence. That could be even more true now. I watch TCM because it makes me feel good, taking me back to times I wish I could have been a part of. Many people on this message board seem very dedicated, and I wonder when they sleep. I recently asked for a Spencer Tracy film title, that turned out to be a Humphrey Bogart film. Now, I'm looking for someone who could make a time machine for me. Back to 1885, as in, "Back To The Future III." This 21st Century is harsh. I wish for better times. TCM is as close as I can get. I don't just like TCM, I love TCM!

Well Jimmy, I understand this fancy time-shifting chapeau Buster here is sportin' hasn't been used for while as far as I know...

tumblr_od996czZ4o1r3vuqbo1_1280.gif   

(...and so, IF you could just locate that baby, maybe your wish here could come true?!) ;)

On 5/29/2018 at 5:28 AM, TikiSoo said:

Now instead of feeling nostalgic over the movies shown, I'm often nostalgic of TCMs promos. I love stumbling across one when watching an old recording.
I miss the animated logos, like the King Kong fighting off the planes. I loved the "Silver Lining" opening theme because I'm a Chet Baker fan.

And nothing got you into the mood to watch a great old movie than the original big feature presentation fanfare-why did they EVER get rid of it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2ClxFJIvq8

If you allow it to go to the next video, it's a swell TCM "brand" montage featuring Joe Jackson singing Jumpin Jive (unfortunately containing a few clips of Bill Cosby saying "TCM") I only barely remember those. Ah the days when they could commission such great, artistic promos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqNuu0VDWd0

Of all the old promos and intros, I wish they brought this one back the most. It really got you in the mood for Silent Sunday Nights. I don't like the creepy and unsettling music in the new intro. :unsure: 

• Like 1