Sign in to follow this  
tonybones

B&W War movie staring a group of hawaiian soldiers

5 posts in this topic

I only saw this movie once many many years ago and have been looking for it ever since.

I can't remember the title and now my memory is failing about the rest of it but it was a

story about a group of soldiers from Hawaii that served together - I think on a ship.

It was B&W - anyone ever seen or heard about it?

It sounds like you are talking about "Go For Broke", a fictionalized movie about the true-life 442nd Infantry, made up of Japanese Americans, which fought in Italy and France in 1944-45. A coule of the characters in the movie were from Hawaii, and others were from California and elsewhere in the US. Van Johnson played their somwhwat racist (at first) platoon leader. I think it was made in 1951, or thereabouts. I know it was a black and white film.

Its a good movie and I got to watch Going for broke on my PC. But this isn't the movie I was looking for.

It has to do with a grp of hawaii's that work on a ship and go to war fighting as a group. If you have any more suggestions I would appreciate it.

Bones

Hmm. You have me stumped on this one. I'll see what I can dig up, but I can't think of any other possibilities right now.

How about "Pineapple butai" (1960), aka "Hey, Pineapple." It's listed at:

_http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0253476/_

Also at:

_http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/title/314836_

Apparently a Japanese production. I found this by searching keywords at IMDB.com. If this isn't the film you recall you can do the same. Also search the net.