Sign in to follow this  
mrroberts

Seafaring Yarns

9 posts in this topic

Starting this new thread for prc1966 (carry over from Captain Blood thread).. Some of my favorite nonpirate tales of the sea; Down to the Sea in Ships (Richard Widmark, Lionel Barrymore). The Sea Wolf (Edward G Robinson, John Garfield).

Edited by: mrroberts on Aug 12, 2010 6:38 PM

Thank you, "Doug-Boy".

I'll reiterate my original post here, I was interested in hearing about movies similar to some old favorites of mine, which are about advenutres at sea, but no pirates or naval battles (although treasure does play a part in some of them.

The particiular movies I referred to are

All the Brothers Were Valiant

The World in His Arms

and

Wake of the Red Witch

I agree. It is one of the most beautiful movies, the sea and sky especially.

I have heard it was shot in a wider screen than is currently available, but the copy I have does not look cropped.

I've come late to this particular party and haven't seen all the seafaring yarns worth seeing yet, but some of my favorites must include:

*Captains Courageous* with Spencer Tracy and Freddie Bartholomew (an excellent adaptation of an even better book)

*The Long Voyage Home* (John Ford movie with John Wayne, Thomas Mitchell and loads of other great ones - though this is set during War)

*Adventure* with Clark Gable, Thomas Mitchell, Greer Garson (not all at sea, but good nonetheless)

I've only caught a part of it and must see the rest, but *The Old Man and the Sea* with Spencer Tracy looked like an interesting adaptation. Is it?

There are other good ones, of course. There are a bunch of naval/war related ones I really like, though not specifically pirate-inspired. For instance *Mutiny on the Bounty*, *The Caine Mutiny*, *Captain Horatio Hornblower* (Gregory Peck; though the series with Ioann Gruffudd was wonderful) and even *Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World* with Russell Crowe.

Any other good ones?

I really enjoyed Fair Wind To Java with Fred MacMurray, Vera Ralston, Victor McLaglen, Robert Douglas, and Claude Jarman, jr. It was wild and fun.

I also enjoyed :

Blackbeard, The Pirate: robert newton, linda darnell, keith andes

Yankee Buccaneer: jeff chandler, suzan ball

Fortunes Of Captain Blood: louis hayward, patricia medina

Hurricane Smith: john ireland, yvonne decarlo

The Black Swan

The Golden Hawk

Midshipman Easy

Buccaneer's Girl

Drake of England

Raiders of the Seven Seas

Captain Horatio Hornblower

I, too, have always loved the movies with the old sailing ships and sea battles.

I'm with you on that. It's a lot of fun to be transported to another era of pirates and treasure and the like. I love old escapist films especially Maria Montez movies. So much fun to be had. I feel like i'm stuck on the ship/island with these actors and foaming at the mouth over buried treasure. I hope more of this type will come out on dvd.

Cecil B. DeMille's "the Buccaneer" is my favorite pirate movie. Frederic March and Akim Takimiroff!