Sign in to follow this  
hlywdkjk

Who's Gone To Hell With "Madam Satan"?

4 posts in this topic

I don't know how TCM feels about starting "traditions" for the Classic Film Festival. Traditions can be constraining - and perhaps even presumptuous - after only a single edition of the event. But if they inclined to present titles next year that are in the same vein of some of those presented this past April, I think I've stumbled across a potential "follow-up" to the screening of *Sunny Side Up* at the first TCM FIlm Festival.

*Sunny Side Up* and its outrageous musical imagery was a sight to behold. Or so I'm told as I didn't attend either screening. (It was so popular that an encore screening was scheduled for Sunday.) It was a highlight of the festival for many attendees and an "I should've been there." moment for those that missed it. Like me.

So, in hopes that another rare theatrical screening with an equally outrageous musical film will be part of the Second Classic Film Festival, I nominate *Madam Satan* (1930).

MadamSatan1930_LRG

"Who wants to go to hell with Madam Satan?"

I've read the first 45 minutes is a bit of a bore. But what comes after sounds like it is even wilder than *Sunny Side Up*.

MadamSatan1930b_LRG

At a costume party given aboard a giant dirigible, Angela entrances her husband by her modish vamping, amidst a spectacular electrical ballet in which characters simulate everything from sparkplugs to lightning bolts.

I think this film has been shown on TCM in the past. (It is an MGM film.) So it isn't completely unseen in the way *Sunny Side Up* was this spring. But it sounds like it would be a real "trip" to see with an audience. And, believe it or not, it was directed by Cecil B. DeMille.

MadamSatan1930_wc

As the Window Card says, "You've never seen anything like it."

If anyone has seen *Madam Satan*, let me know if my impression of the film is wrong or my excitement at seeing it on the big screen is mis-guided. And if you know of any other early sound musicals that are "really out there", I'd love to know what they are.

Kyle In Hollywood

Edited by: hlywdkjk on Aug 22, 2010 9:27 PM

Kyle,

I, too, loved Sunnyside Up. I've seen it a couple of times but I enjoyed it even more at the Festival.

Regarding Madam Satan: It was on TCM years ago. I have it on vhs because I asked someone (who was one of the few with TCM early on) to tape it for me. I have also seen it on the big screen and I agree that you have to be indulgent with the first hour or so. Once everyone starts filing into the dirigible, it's heaven and pure camp. It's actually been on my mind to ask Charlie why it hasn't shown up on TCM for years. It's a great candidate for a Festival showing.

*" I have also seen it on the big screen and I agree that you have to be indulgent with the first hour or so. Once everyone starts filing into the dirigible, it's heaven and pure camp."* - countessdelave

Thanks for confirming what I thought had to be true.

*"It's a great candidate for a Festival showing."*

I will read that as a concurring opinion. Thank you.

And that it hasn't been seen on TCM for a long while would make a Festival Screening even more attractive to the attendees.

Kyle In Hollywood

I’m bumping up this topic started by Kyle Kersten, hlywdkjk, in 2010, to say that we’ve had Madame Curie appear at the fest in 2015. Is it time for Madame Satan? The CountessDeLave agreed!