Sign in to follow this  
Jayo

"Moguls and Movie Stars"

312 posts in this topic

I can't wait for "Moguls and Movie Stars": do you know when TCM will start promoting it? Also, is it definite that there will be a companion volume published, and, if so, when? Finally, if and when the series is released on DVD, will it contain out-takes and extras? Thank you very much.

It is scheduled to run beginning in early November. It will premiere on Monday night and each following Monday. Before the new episode each week, TCM will have an encore presentation of the previous week's episode.

Kyle in Hollywood and I saw the first episode at the TCM Film Festival last spring. After the episode, there was a Q&A with the producer, the TCM VP of Programming and the head of Turner Broadcast.

One of the things they said is that they may run the series in its entirety towards the end of the year but that may change.

*"Kyle in Hollywood and I saw the first episode at the TCM Film Festival last spring. After the episode, there was a Q&A with the producer, the TCM VP of Programming and the head of Turner Broadcast."* - lzcutter

Yep. I was there. (So was 'countessdelave')

One thing I distinctly recall from the Q&A is an audience member asking if there would be a companion book. And the reply being "There are no plans for such a book." But maybe 'MovieProfessor' knows of some recent change to that plan.

The audience was also told that the DVD set would be released after the first of the year - so don't plan on giving them as Christmas gifts. That may be subject to change - but, because the series will not complete its initial run on TCM until the middle of December, I wouldn't bet on seeing it before 2011.

As to promotion, TCM is exploring ways to promote the series across the country in individual cities prior to the debut on November 1st. But whether those plans actually occur is still unknown and those plans could have changed or been discarded. I have heard nothing definitve on that count.

Kyle In Hollywood

moguls_500x3641.jpg

TCM Blogger "MorlockJeff" wrote a nice piece on last week's Telluride Film Festival where there was a sneak peek of TWO episodes from the upcoming TCM Documentary "Moguls And Movie Stars". You can read it here -

http://moviemorlocks.com/2010/09/02/a-sneak-peak-at-telluride-film-festival-2010/

It is based partly on an interview with the writer/director of the series, Jon Wilkman.

Kyle In Hollywood

Ending up here in L.A. at The Grove from Nov. 18-20, which is a Thursday through Saturday. Must mark it on my calendar so I don't miss it! I wonder where in the Grove they will have it? (Kyle, lzcutter, and I got to renew our acquaintance with Robert O. at the Grove when he was out here talking about TCM and signing his Oscars book. And what a great guy, he even took a moment to introduce us to the crowd as fan guest programmers on TCM.) (And that was the second time he did that; he also did it at a screening of "The Birds" at the Arclight.)

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

> Ending up here in L.A. at The Grove from Nov. 18-20, which is a Thursday through Saturday. Must mark it on my calendar so I don't miss it! I wonder where in the Grove they will have it?

The movie theatre there is the logical place for it.

> {quote:title=Jayo wrote:}{quote}

> I can't wait for "Moguls and Movie Stars"

I'm really excited about this series too. I just lurve that cover design!

The "Moguls And Movie Stars" interactive exhibit travelling the country opened today in Atlanta.

Anyone here check it out yet? Or have plans to go? It will be in Atlanta only through Wednesday.

Kyle In Hollywood

Kyle - Hi! I plan to see the exhibit on Wednesday, but I'm wondering: will it be on-going, or only during certain hours? If someone knows, please let me know, so I can make plans around it.

Thank you very much.

Jayo -

I don't know if there are certain hours or not. If Phipps Plaza is a mall, I would think it will be open during the business hours of most of the rest of the establishments.

This link to Creative Loafing/Atlanta may have or lead to more info.

http://clatl.com/atlanta/moguls-and-movie-stars-a-history-of-hollywood/Event?oid=2195533

Hope you come back here with a nice report on the exhibit.

Kyle In Hollywood

Kyle - Using the link you kindly provided, to the listing for the exhibit in "Creative Loafing," and calling the number provided (Phipps Plaza), I found that the exhibit closes at 11 a. m. on the 20th.

Unfortunately, Phipps doesn't open until 10 a. m. It's located on the first floor, behind Guest Services

(near Starbucks).

*"...the exhibit closes at 11 a. m. on the 20th."* - Jayo

Closing at 11am on the morning of the 20th seems "strange". I'll see if I can get a confirmation of that.

I'm out for the day. If I learn something different than what you've learned, I'll post it this evening.

Kyle In Hollywood

Kyle - Thank you. Frankly, I'd like to know either way. I'll be online until 9 p. m. ET.

Jayo -

The exhibit is to be open all day on the 20th (tomorrow). The info I got was "the hours of operation for the exhibit are the hours the mall is open." It should be open all day tomorrow.

I hope you make it to the exhibit tomorrow.

Kyle (just under the 9pm EDT wire) In Hollywood

Kyle - Hi! And thank you. If I make it, I'll try to report on it tonight or tomorrow. Maybe other cities' attendees will report, too.

This exhibit will be playing in NYC on Monday and I intend to visit it. If you've gone Jayo, let

us know what you thought about TCM's efforts. I know I can't wait to see it, and to see the documentary as well.

CM -

Looking forward to your review too. And maybe a picture or two also.

Did you see the previous TCM exhibit at Grand Central Station? It was about two years ago.

Kyle In Hollywood

Hey Chief,

The SF TCM loyalists are planning on making the trek to the Embarcadero Center to see the exhibit in November.

I'll be posting about it as well!

I loved it! It was amazingly informative; even someone as knowlegable about American film history as I was surprised in a few areas; the interactive quiz was fun (but too easy for me); the costumes on loan from Western Costume were a treat to see, and, in general, you could tell that a lot of time,

talent, and work went into the exhibit (and don't forget to pick up a copy of the exhibit guide). (I do hope that the exhibit finds a permanent home, one that's open to the public.)

If you go on home page at Turner Classic movies they have link go preview it look good I just saw the preview they going even have interview with family member of movie moguls that be interesting to see

At your location Jayo, is there an attendant there guarding the exhibit? How close is one allowed to get to costumes? Out of everything you saw in the exhibit, which was your favorite piece?

If TCM is involved in anything you know that "...a lot of time, talent, and work went into (it)." That's totally how they roll. I'm looking forward to seeing the exhibit myself. Thanx for your report.