Sign in to follow this  
Jayo

"Moguls and Movie Stars"

312 posts in this topic

*During the last part the writers were discussing the deaths of some of the major moguls including Walt Disney. It was indicated he passed away in 1966. Note to the writers: I do believe he passed in 1971.*

Walt Disney died forty-four years ago today, Dec. 15th, 1966 of lung cancer. He was at St. Joe's Hospital in Burbank, across the street from the studio he built.

His brother, Roy O., had promised Walt that he would finish Disney World. On Oct. 1st, 1971, Disney World opened to the public.

Roy O. Disney died three months later of a brain hemorrhage.

> *During the last part the writers were discussing the deaths of some of the major moguls including Walt Disney. It was indicated he passed away in 1966. Note to the writers: I do believe he passed in 1971.*

Not only that, but people, horses and dogs die; students passing their examinations, cars in the left-hand lane and kidney stones pass.

Please TCM no follow up series focusing on the 70's 80, 90's and especially 2000's. Gulp! We have enough of that on the other TV channels.

*Please TCM no follow up series focusing on the 70's 80, 90's and especially 2000's. Gulp! We have enough of that on the other TV channels.*

Jeffrey,

It's been noted here in other threads that the reason TCM scaled it back to 7 episodes instead of 10 was because TCM believes the modern era (post-1970s to today) have been covered in two very good documentaries, *Raging Bulls and Easy Riders* and *Decade Under the Influence*.

Tom Brown, the vice-president of TCM Original Programming, also addressed this at the TCM Film Festival last spring.

Yes, I knew & also knew that he has lost his Canadian accent. While watching plays in Stratford at the Shakespeare Festival, I was aware that most of the actors were Canadian. Some of them, during "table talk" interviews mentioned how easily they slipped back to their native accents while during Shakespeare, regardless of their training, as they get caught up in the play. And yes, CP & his dulcet tones did a great job!

I really enjoyed this series. I know more than I did before about the how the studios operated and the men who ran them. The photos and clips were mostly new to me and the interviews informative. Having their children and grandchildren relating the stories gave them authenticity and was appreciated. I will order if it?s put on DVD. It was well worth the seven hours of my life I invested. Thank you, TCM.

I've been to Canada--my only comment would be that Canadiens speak English better than most Americans. But that the French spoken in Quebec is quite different from Continental French.

I'll admit that much of my exposure to the Canadian accent is from listening to hockey players being interviewed. Since many of them have no teeth, their speech patterns must be affected.