Sign in to follow this  
Jayo

"Moguls and Movie Stars"

312 posts in this topic

markie - do you get Netflix? If you do, you can rent the D.W. Griffith films that were on last night, plus a whole lot more. The set is called *D. W. Griffith: The Years of Discovery* .

Agreed I *loved* the documentary and the Edison shorts (the only ones I was able to catch, although I recorded the M?li?s shorts for later).

Good to know the DW Griffith ones are available to rent since I missed them completely.

Thank goodness for all the Encores of the documentary because I definitely decided I want to record these. I really wish I could convince my friends to watch.

*I really grooved to part 1! Awesome stuff, including the short films that were shown throughout the evening! I really hope that when they release the documentary box set that they include some of these films as extras, that would be really groovy!*

I thought Part 1 was groovy too. Combining two of my loves (history and the movies) makes this documentary series "must see" for me.

Well, I was away this week and I came home to good news and bad news. The good news is I did see the first part of the documentary, and it was freaking great. Unfortunately, all the stuff I meant to tape after that, TiVo didn't pick it up. I think I had too much other stuff tape during the week afterwards that caused it to clean out some space. ARGH! Hopefully TCM will replay some of those silent films before too long!!

With all that said, I've only seen 1/7th of the overall miniseries, and it's already a classic. GREAT STUFF, TCM!!!

I too enjoyed the first installment. A question - noticing that the series is listed as letterboxed, I meant to record from the HD channel, but inadvertently recorded from the SD channel. So, I zoomed the SD to fill the 16x9 screen. Sometimes it looked to me like heads were being cut off, so I unzoomed, and indeed, parts were in 4x3, not 16x9. After viewing, I deleted it. Later, I decided to record a repeat in HD, to see what's up with the aspect ratio. I FFed through the HD, and it was all 16x9. So, I wonder if the stuff that was 4x3 in SD was cropped to 16x9 in SD. Did anyone notice this? Did you watch in HD, and see scenes that looked like the top and bottom were cropped improperly?

For those who missed it, and for those who would like to see it one more time, Turner Classic Movies

will repeat one last time, "Moguls & Movie Stars: A History of Hollywood" episode 1: "Peepshow

Pioneers," Monday, November 8th. at 7 P. M. Eastern STANDARD Time, immediately followed by the premiere of episode 2: "The Birth of Hollywood," at 8 P. M. EST.

I felt that the first chapter was quite good and I love the Main-Title theme. Looking forward to Chapter 2 tomorrow.

Yet another attempt to present a candy coated propaganda image of Louis B. Mayer. Kevin Brownlow said in his book Mayer went around wrecking careers of talented people. Rex Ingram & John Gilbert, Michael Balcon, etc. A horrible man - easily the most hated in Hollywood. Even his family hated him. But leave it to TCM to TRY & sweeten his image. Mayer wrecked Hollywood in order to get Republicans in power. Bringing in Washington to "investigate" the writers guild. Dont get me started.

> {quote:title=Big_Bopper wrote:}{quote}

> Yet another attempt to present a candy coated propaganda image of Louis B. Mayer. Kevin Brownlow said in his book Mayer went around wrecking careers of talented people. Rex Ingram & John Gilbert, Michael Balcon, etc. A horrible man - easily the most hated in Hollywood. Even his family hated him. But leave it to TCM to TRY & sweeten his image. Mayer wrecked Hollywood in order to get Republicans in power. Bringing in Washington to "investigate" the writers guild. Dont get me started.

Perhaps a lot of people hated him and rightly so. Perhaps a lot of people liked him and rightly so as well. People are not black and white like you seem to think.

*@JackFavell: There was a promo before Metropolis of a bunch of people who worked with Mayer talking positively about him. I assume that is what Big_Bopper was referring to.

Edited by: Kinokima on Nov 7, 2010 8:37 PM

Read Michael Balcon's book. I posted the details of Mayer's conflict with Balcon & it was removed. So I don't think I'll do that again. There was nothing about Mayer that was likeable. Mr. Hyde with a split personality.

The series is great and I really like seeing these silent films, but why is TCM so off with the scheduling?

All the start times have been off since the end of *Traffic in Souls*. It looks like things will get back on track after the rebroadcast of the Documentary (at least I think so, you can't trust the schedule), but why not just post the proper start and end times on the schedule page to begin with?

I know...

Thank goodness I was awake to record *The Heart of an Indian* manually. The movie was fantastic, an incredibly rich and moving film. I hope this glitch in timing did not destroy people's chances to see it.

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> I know...

>

> Thank goodness I was awake to record *The Heart of an Indian* manually. The movie was fantastic, an incredibly rich and moving film. I hope this glitch in timing did not destroy people's chances to see it.

i got it thank goodness, because i manually recorded it, too. i would have cried had i relied on the schedule.

the last shot was stunning....stunning.

There is not a doubt in my mind that *Heart of an Indian* was directed by Francis Ford, whether Ince took credit for it or not.

All the Fordian motifs were there.... and the camera set-ups. It was absolutely stunningly made. The scene in which Francis stops his brave from killing the settler's baby, and then thinks back on his wife's grief over their lost child was very cinematically told - with the scene of his wife crying over their baby at home fading in and out of his memory.

It had me completely pulled into the story within minutes because it was terribly exciting, breakneck, in fact. The performances were nuanced and quite beautiful. My favorite scenes were the ones where Francis brought the baby to his grief stricken wife, and was watching them bond from afar....and that final fadeout was so beautiful! This movie moved me very much. It was incredibly rich for a film from 1912, with what looked like hundreds of camera set-ups, no two shots were alike.

Mainly, there was that underlying question left hanging in the air - why the fighting between the races, when they are exactly the same? They share the same grief, and the same kindness too.... and only the women know the full story.

I am all verklempt. To see this film..... all these years later, and to be touched by it, well. It was an incredible experience. I'll never forget it.

Edited by: JackFavell on Nov 8, 2010 11:54 PM

Wendy, Everyone,

Part 2 was pretty good, but hey I know that better print material of many of these films exist then what was used. Really looking forward to part 3.

I'm not convinced that we are going to see the *Photoplay Productions* version of *THE BIRTH OF A NATION* with John Lanchbery's arrangement of the original 1915 Orchestral score tonight as TCM aired in 2006. I think it's going to be the Kino one instead. Not nearly as good a print quality. That's because so much Kino product has been a part of this festival already. I also wonder if were going to see the Photoplay or Kino version of *IT* next week?. TCM has always aired the Photoplay one with Carl Davis score in the past. Not so sure we will get that this time unfortunately. I hope that we will, but certainly will not count on it happening from the looks of things.

I wonder if Stars such as The Talmadge Sisters, Corinne Griffith, and especially of concern Colleen Moore will even get a mention in Chapter 3? I'll bet that they don't. Looks like they will talk about Valentino, Fairbanks, Chaney, Swanson, Harold Lloyd, Clara Bow, Ronald Colman, Keaton, John Gilbert, and maybe Marion Davies?

I mean no one was any bigger than the Talmadge's during the first half of the 20's, so how could you not mention them? Why is Colleen Moore always slighted by TCM???

Well, with only an hour at a time, I guess they still have to take a kind of "overview" approach... it would be a shame to leave out these extremely popular stars, but there is only so much you can include.

I would be willing to bet the Talmadges at least get some mention, since Norma was married to a "mogul".

gorgeous review, jackie! i have to watch *heart of an indian* again with full concentration...i was very distracted tonight, but there were moments i could not tear my eyes away from the screen. i marvelled at the rugged authenticity, the long shots and those moments with the babies...paralelling the experiences of two mothers. really remarkable and proves francis was doing far more than churning out cookie cutter stuff.

and it was a nice looking print...good job, TCM.

Lo, *THE BIRTH OF A NATION* is the Photoplay version after-all ! I can't wait to see Mary Pickford's *POOR LITTLE RICH GIRL* in a couple nights. Don't forget about that. A TCM Premier, and the brand new restoration from the LOC and Milestone. I have never seen the movie, and it isn't on DVD yet either.

I had set my DVR for for it, but did not get it all :(, and I was looking forward to this presentation too!

I went ahead and recorded BIRTH OF A NATION manually since the schedule is all messed up.

I hope this doesn't mess up Tuesday's Edna May Oliver films!

While the series is good, it really could have benefited substantially from the involvement of Kevin Brownlow and Patrick Stanbury. At least for the first three chapters. I'm gratified that they have spent three chapters in the Silent era, but the clips are so brief, and not always the best quality either.

I wonder if Stars such as The Talmadge Sisters, Corinne Griffith, and especially of concern Colleen Moore will even get a mention in Chapter 3? I'll bet that they don't. Looks like they

will talk about Valentino, Fairbanks, Chaney, Swanson, Harold Lloyd, Clara Bow, Ronald Col-

man, Keaton, John Gilbert, and maybe Marion Davies?

I mean no one was any bigger than the Talmadge's during the first half of the 20's, so how could you not mention them? Why is Colleen Moore always slighted by TCM???

I am not a big Silent Film fan. But you have made a compelling point for TCM to maybe do a docu-

mentary (or hire getting a documentary made) about some of those old great silent stars. After all, they were there first. Maybe a documentary can be done for "Hollywood...By the Decades" and focus on the stars of each decade. Some crossed the decades. You're right Gagman, some of those great stars do get short shrift for the ones that are better known. TCM could dig just a tad deeper. The era was rich.

WHEW!! I'm just happy Oscar Micheaux got his foot in the door: (3:30AM - "Within Our Gates").

I have been enjoying the TCM special, very much.

*While the series is good, it really could have benefited substantially from the involvement of Kevin Brownlow and Patrick Stanbury. At least for the first three chapters. I'm gratified that they have spent three chapters in the Silent era, but the clips are so brief, and not always the best quality either.*

Unlike Brownlow's wonderful *Hollywood* series, (which this could be a companion piece to), this series focuses more on the Moguls of the title than the Movie Stars.

Perhaps Wilkman felt that Brownlow had covered that star era better than anyone and rather than retell that story, Wilkman and TCM decided to focus more on the American history aspect of the story in addition to the stories of the Moguls.

As for the film clips, it all comes down to budget. You can blow through your budget obtaining the very best looking clips available very quickly. Make no mistake, film clips for this type documentary are not cheap. And the rights clearances may have something to do with the versions chosen as well.

In addition to the film clips, there are also all the behind the scenes footage and the footage of filming on location in Los Angeles, New York and New Jersey.

All of that costs money and when doing a major multi-episode series like this, the budget also has to cover all the costs of producing the series so it may be more beneficial to go with footage from the Kino or the Milestone version for film clips than other more expensive sources.