Sign in to follow this  
misswonderly3

Somewhat Off-Topic: What have you been reading lately?

514 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Hibi said:

I'm reading Finding Zsa Zsa. A new book about the Gabors by Sam Staggs. Fun book that's hard to put down and well researched. Cuts through all the mythmaking and stories they weaved over the years. Also, Dutch Girl by Robert Matzen, about Audrey Hepburn's childhood in Holland during the German occupation.

Wow! I want to read that! Does it go into any detail about George Sanders?

On 8/2/2019 at 11:46 AM, laffite said:

Herman Who ????

“Moby-Dick” was published in 1851, but The New York Times didn’t review it. In fact, The Times didn’t mention Herman Melville until 1861 ... "

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/01/books/herman-melville-moby-dick.html

////

You know, I love to read the classics. But I couldn't get through Moby Dick for some reason. I prefer to watch the film with that handsome devil, Gregory Peck. 

2 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

Wow! I want to read that! Does it go into any detail about George Sanders?

OH, YES! Lots of funny stories. I'm only halfway through the book.

On 8/29/2019 at 6:58 AM, TikiSoo said:

I just finished Lorna Luft's ME & MY SHADOWS, her memoirs of her life as Judy Garland's daughter. I didn't like it very much, it wasn't very well written, just OK. Her Mom died when she was around 12 y/o, obviously devastating to anyone. She brings up how awful it is when strangers say, "I loved your Mother too, her death was a great loss for the world" which is how we feel, but so inappropriate to SAY to her daughter. 

Lorna has very loving memories of her Mom, Dad, sister & brother often punctuated my her Mom's irrational behavior. Lorna is talented in her own right (I often see her name as vocalist in liner notes) and it was crushing to hear her first shows she was billed as "Judy Garland's daughter & Liza Minelli's sister:" Oy, Lorna's a tough cookie.

Very sad to hear of Judy's irrational behavior in her later years due to drugs. We all know it happened, but it's especially tragic when it happened to someone as talented as Judy and all those in her life.

I'm re-reading the Gerald Clarke book about Judy, GET HAPPY to see if her later years corroborate with Lorna's first hand experience.

I started reading second hand book David Skal's THE MONSTER SHOW and within a few chapters realized I had read it before from the library. Wish I had known that when I had met Skal at a horror festival!

If I was going to read a bio on Judy Garland, I would hope it was written by Mickey Rooney. He was there. There's simply too much speculation and hearsay about the woman. I've read many accounts that MGM gave her drugs and wanted her to be thin and hoe she had to wear some sort of a thing while filming the Wizard of Oz that made her boobies flat. What is the truth?

27 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, that was ok. Nothing in it I didnt know already. I remember in his later years when interviewed he said she was the love of his life.

I think Audrey felt the same about him.  She ultimately broke up with him after learning that he'd taken precautions to prevent himself from fathering any future children. Though I thought that procedure could be reversed. Perhaps that wasn't the case in the 50s/60s. 

Though for me, dating a guy who had a wife whom he was disinterested in, but took 30 years to divorce, would be a bit of a turn-off. Though I would also hope I wouldn't put myself into a situation where I'm the "other woman." Maybe Bill used the old "I'll leave my wife for you" line on her. 

Yeah, his vasectomy killed the romance. She wanted children badly (and had a hard time bearing any, many miscarriages).

On 8/29/2019 at 10:30 AM, Janet0312 said:

I'm reading Lorne Greene's bio written by his daughter. It's pretty good, although I wish it were bigger. He was a hellova guy, a very nice man. 

There is a segment, a nuance where Lorne wanted to add something to the script. He told Michael Landon about it and ML scoffed it off. "You do your thing, and I will do mine." This was the 1st season. Well, Lorne went ahead with his idea and bellowed, "Joseph, get you feet off the table!!!" Michael Landon was so shocked at Lorne's voice that he sat up and took his feet off the table. A very funny story and Lorne and the kid became friends ever after. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, his vasectomy killed the romance. She wanted children badly (and had a hard time bearing any, many miscarriages).

Oh God, I love it when I check into a thread that I haven’t been reading in a long time and come across a sentence like this out of context.

(It’s like when the music stops suddenly at a party and two people are in the middle of a real gossipy conversation)

SUCH fun wondering who you could be talking about!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Oh God, I love it when I check into a thread that I haven’t been reading in a long time and come across a sentence like this out of context.

(It’s like when the music stops suddenly at a party and two people are in the middle of a real gossipy conversation)

SUCH fun wondering who you could be talking about!

I'm a happy victim of "The Films of William Holden". And I can tell you without looking they're talkin about William O'Toole and Audrey Hepburn. But I always thought that vasectomies could be reversed.

But I spent many happy moments contemplating him telling her this on the set of "Sabrina" and what her reaction was.

Sadly, I never thought of Brenda, I mean,  Ardis once.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

If I was going to read a bio on Judy Garland, I would hope it was written by Mickey Rooney. He was there. There's simply too much speculation and hearsay about the woman. I've read many accounts that MGM gave her drugs and wanted her to be thin and hoe she had to wear some sort of a thing while filming the Wizard of Oz that made her boobies flat. What is the truth?

In the TV mini series MGM: When the Lion Roars Mickey is interviewed and clearly states that the studio had absolutely nothing to do with Judy's drug use.

Of course,  he could have been lying.

Nancy Olson has said that BRENDA, I mean ARDIS haunted the set during her scenes with Holden and made her quite uncomfortable. 

I'm reading;  John Huston - Courage and Art by Jeffrey Meyers.

Nice read so far.   What I'm surprised about is how much Olivia De Havilland was in love with Huston.   Yea, I knew they had a thing during the filming of In This Our Life (e.g.  Davis had to complain to the producer that Huston was giving Olivia too many close-ups and that this was a DAVIS film),  but not how strong of an attraction she had to him.

Huston comes off like Spencer Tracy as it relates to how he treated women.   The book implies that Huston was the LOVE of Olivia's life.     

5 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Though I thought that procedure could be reversed. Perhaps that wasn't the case in the 50s/60s. 

Successful reversal is problematic and expensive.

The basic procedure is to cut a small tube in half, tie the ends closed, and then bury them in different layers of tissue. This is repeated for the other side. It is usually finished within an hour in an outpatient environment. There are few risks of complications and follow-up is in a month.

Reversing the procedure involves finding the ends, assessing the amount on each which has collapsed or grown closed, cutting to a viable section, stretching the ends so that they may be sewn together, and stabilizing the tube within the tissue. This requires hospitalization and often takes several hours. Risk of infection is much higher. There are significant other risks. Follow-up generally begins after three months and it may take much longer for indications it was successful.

2 hours ago, Roy Cronin said:

In the TV mini series MGM: When the Lion Roars Mickey is interviewed and clearly states that the studio had absolutely nothing to do with Judy's drug use.

Speculation. You have to take everything with a grain of salt, I suppose. In rediscovering my adoration for the show Bonanza and my love for Pernell Roberts as Adam, I have found very little information about the actor and why he left the show, Lorne Greene's daughter remembers that Pern was very unhappy and blah, blah, blah. She interviewed many people on the show, but still, you have to take it with a grain of salt. So as to Judy Garland, who knows? I wasn't there. I've only read several accounts of her life at MGM. Thank goodness she didn't work for Harry Cohn. Could have been worse.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

Speculation. You have to take everything with a grain of salt, I suppose.

What Rooney said can't be labeled as speculation.    As Roy points out Rooney could have been lying but that still wouldn't be speculation.  

As for the odds Rooney was lying;   if he was to lie I assume he would have done so to shield Garland.  NOW that is speculation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gershwin fan said:

Lovely description. 

It does concern a man's nasty bits . . .

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SansFin said:

Successful reversal is problematic and expensive.

The basic procedure is to cut a small tube in half, tie the ends closed, and then bury them in different layers of tissue. This is repeated for the other side. It is usually finished within an hour in an outpatient environment. There are few risks of complications and follow-up is in a month.

Reversing the procedure involves finding the ends, assessing the amount on each which has collapsed or grown closed, cutting to a viable section, stretching the ends so that they may be sewn together, and stabilizing the tube within the tissue. This requires hospitalization and often takes several hours. Risk of infection is much higher. There are significant other risks. Follow-up generally begins after three months and it may take much longer for indications it was successful.

Thank you Sans! I am now up to speed with men's sterilization and de-sterilization procedures.  I shall file this information away in case I need it for pub trivia or something.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Roy Cronin said:

I famously remember this interview. And  I imagined he lied for some good personal reason. So I suppose he had a right to look out for his own interests.

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

I famously remember this interview

Indeed, your memory of this interview is quite famous😉

42 minutes ago, Thenryb said:

Indeed, your memory of this interview is quite famous😉

It was famous to me because I knew he was a liar. Unfortunately I met him once and had a very bad experience but we won't go into that tonight.

31 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

It was famous to me because I knew he was a liar. Unfortunately I met him once and had a very bad experience but we won't go into that tonight.

I’m not surprised you had a bad experience. Mickey Rooney just seems like the person whom you would have a bad experience meeting. 

Im not a Mickey Rooney fan if you can’t tell. I cannot tell what his appeal was. I always laugh when I read that Errol Flynn acted as his wingman at clubs. Hmm Errol Flynn would be a terrible wingman. Who would you pick? Flynn? Or Mickey Rooney? Blech! 

51 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I’m not surprised you had a bad experience. Mickey Rooney just seems like the person whom you would have a bad experience meeting. 

Im not a Mickey Rooney fan if you can’t tell. I cannot tell what his appeal was. I always laugh when I read that Errol Flynn acted as his wingman at clubs. Hmm Errol Flynn would be a terrible wingman. Who would you pick? Flynn? Or Mickey Rooney? Blech! 

Mickey Rooney was the Luke Perry of his day. Maybe now you understand why they called it the "Great Depression".

3 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Thank you Sans! I am now up to speed with men's sterilization and de-sterilization procedures.  I shall file this information away in case I need it for pub trivia or something.

I am sorry to say that unbridled pedantry is a known side effect of my current medication. There is a warning also to not open an encyclopedia or thesaurus until effects of the medication are known. The plus side is that my hair is glossy, my nose is cold and I have mostly stopped **** men's legs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1