Sign in to follow this  
beastooge

December 2010 schedule posted

45 posts in this topic

*They could've (and should've in my opinion) placed a Humphrey Bogart film on the 25th, since that's his birthday.*

Well, he was SOTM in December last year. Perhaps TCM wanted to highlight others?

As for *Sunny Side Up*, it will likely be the restored version. Many of the films that were shown in their restored versions at the TCM Film Festival are making their way to TCM. This one, hopefully, will be no exception.

A question for Prince -- I'm not as studio savvy as you are when it comes to who produced what --could you point out some of the rarer titles for me? Thanks!

-Arch

That kinda remind me of schedule Lion in winter for Christmas day movie on Essential kinda remind me of AMC TV schedule Omen movies on Easter which they did one year LOL!

I love the schedule, however I wish TCM could of squeezed Andy Hardy's Double Life into the Mickey Rooney fest. It's the only Hardy film not scheduled.

I can't wait to see *Zoo in Budapest*, *Family Honeymoon*, and and all those Will Rogers movies. Thanks, TCM!!

> {quote:title=ArchieCarstairs wrote:}{quote}

> A question for Prince -- I'm not as studio savvy as you are when it comes to who produced what --could you point out some of the rarer titles for me? Thanks!

>

> -Arch

MARE NOSTRUM, ZOO IN BUDAPEST, SUBMARINE RAIDER, Will Rogers Fest and Mexico's SANTA CLAUS. I think it's a riot that NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD is playing in December.

> {quote:title=mrs0321 wrote:}{quote}

> I can't wait to see *Zoo in Budapest*, *Family Honeymoon*, and and all those Will Rogers movies. Thanks, TCM!!

I second that!!!

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}

> And there are two special line-ups for two of our friends here on the 28th of the month - six "Dr. Kildare" movies to warm our friend 'patful'

As a big Lew Ayres fan I have to say I'm thrilled about this too, and the rounding off of the birthday tribute with Johnny Belinda and Holiday.

Also excited to see Intolerance, Moguls & Movie Stars, The Blob, and Rooneyfest '10.

I haven't been too in love with TCM's showings this year, but they're really making it up to me in these next few months.

I haven't really browsed the schedule but I will admit two things. 1.) I'm hardly a Mickey Rooney fan and 2.) I can't wait to see TCM's copy of QUICKSAND. They usually seem to have the better prints of these PD films, and I actually really like that film.

So glad THE BISHOP'S WIFE is back! It was absent all last year but was popping up on other channels infested with commercials. Thanks TCM!

The December schedule looks great to me -- I love Christmas movies, and TCM always does a very good job in that regard, and with Mickey Rooney and Will Rogers added to the mix, it should be an enjoyable month.

But I do wish they had extended the Andy Hardy day beyond 24 hours to fit in Andy Hardy's Double Life. I suppose they may have instead included the sequel, 1958's Andy Hardy Comes Home, because it's more rarely shown than Double Life, even though the latter is a better movie.

The real answer, of course, is for Warner to release a Hardy Family box set, please!! (I'd certainly buy one for our family and others for our nieces and nephews.)

I'm glad, too, that they're finally recognizing Mickey Rooney as SOTM during the year of his 90th birthday (which is coming up on Sept. 23). It's great that they're showing some of his films that are otherwise hard to see, especially The Comic, in which Mick and Dick Van Dyke play forgotten comics from the silent film days. I haven't seen this fine Carl Reiner film for 30+ years, but it made a big impression on me back when I was a youngster, just discovering the magic of silent movies. This film, which flashes back from then-present day (1969 or 70) to the silent era, made me realize that a lot of the silent actors were still around then but just forgotten. I'm sure this movie meant a lot to Dick Van Dyke, who befriended Stan Laurel when Dick was riding high as a TV/film star in the 60s and Stan was in retirement.

I'm also very excited about the Will Rogers movies, too. I've gotten all of the Rogers DVDs that Fox has released so far and have enjoyed every one of the films. So I'm really looking forward to seeing more of Will, even if I have to stay up all night to record each one.

Nice, too, to see the very talented Lew Ayres recognized on his birthday with the Kildare movies (box set, please!) and the great Holiday, which is the movie that really hooked me on classic films.

Edited by: BingFan on Sep 2, 2010 11:44 AM

Bingfan, I am soooo with you!!! December is a great month, but I also wish they could fit in Double Life, which I mentioned before. A WHV Hardy and Kildare/Gillespie box set's would be heavenly! (Warner hear our prayer) :D

You are correct...the December sched won't officially appear on the website till October 1.

But if you go to the original post of this thread, you will find a link that goes to a page for December.

I just looked through the list and I find a lot to watch during December. But to me, the absolute highlight is Sunnyside Up. I can't wait to see the number, "Turn On the Heat," again. When a number of us at the TCM Film Festival saw this number, we were astounded. It is hysterically bizarre.