Sign in to follow this  
MyFavoriteFilms

Kim Novak films in September

36 posts in this topic

Just watched Kim's ex -- Richard Johnson -- in a new Masterpiece Mystery: The Dead of Winter. Part of the Inspecter Lewis series.

Cool. I was reading the reviews on this version of HUMAN BONDAGE...the critics pretty much savaged Kim in this role. They complained that she had a southside Chicago accent instead of a Cockney accent as the story requires. Why didn't the producers just Americanize the story? Laurence Harvey could've been a British doctor in the U.S. who meets Kim Novak in a big city like Chicago.

There's another version in between Bette's and this one, from the 40s with Eleanor Parker playing Maugham's beleaguered waitress.

In Cukor's A DOUBLE LIFE, we have Ronald Colman as a British actor in America who meets seedy waitress Shelley Winters. Shelley is not expected to act like a Brit, but a working class American chick. Maybe Bette and Eleanor can pull off a foreign accent, but we can't expect Shelley Winters or Kim Novak to be like them.

I did watch OF HUMAN BONDAGE earlier...have to say I really loved this version today...I'm a sucker for Laurence Harvey and I like everything he's in...and same goes for Kim...I thought the cinematography was very good and the supporting cast was superb...love love love Robert Morley!

I don't care if reviewers in 1964 trashed Kim or panned the movie, it doesn't interfere with my ability to enjoy it and savor one of Maugham's great stories on screen.

Amusing! One of Shelley Winters' crazier roles was as Auntie Roo in *Whoever Slew Auntie Roo?* Shelley plays, as I recall, an American widow in the UK -- a sort of American witch to young Brit Hansel and Gretels. Great British cast, directed by Curtis Harrington!

I turned on the last half hour of the film yesterday.

Was she having intimate relations with all 4 men or only with James Garner?

Was she maybe leading the other guys on just to benefit her research?

If she was indeed involved with all 4 it will have been a very daring concept for 1962.

We are now into October, but I thought I might mention two Kim Novak films airing today, 10.4...

*THE EDDIE DUCHIN STORY*, which looks interesting (it's a late Ty Power role)

and a repeat of

*PAL JOEY*, always fun, even if it's the 22nd time watching it.

*The Eddy Duchin Story* is always fun....we don't always get to see Power on TCM even though I have never seen this film aired in the afternoon or in prime time and it's quite good. Someone page me when TCM finally gets the rights to air Mississippi Gambler. As a Ty Power completist, this film as well as a few others are killing me!

Some mentioned in one of these threads that Kim was lucky in terms of casting. I agree. She didn't make a ton of films compared to other actresses, but she made enough...and she had some of the top males in the business as her costars. This pairing with Ty is yet another example.