Sign in to follow this  
fredbaetz

Tim Holt

34 posts in this topic

On Tuesday morning the 14th TCM is running five of Tim Holts westerns from 1938 to 1941. Starting with "The Law West of Tombstone" with Harry Carey as a Judge Roy Bean character and Holt as a thinly desquised Billy the Kid. More of a comedy western, followed by four others with "Wagon Train" maybe the best.......

I like Tim Holt quite a bit. I rely on my Western channel on Encore for western movies because TCM barely shows 5 westerns in a month unless they have a special day for some Western star. But getting back to Tim, I think he was a fine western star except for his size. Alan Ladd and Audie Murphy were both Tim's height, but their carriage and builds made them seem larger. I hate it, but I have to laugh every time Henry Fonda is introducing his two brothers Ward Bond and Tim Holt in *My Darling Clementine*, and Tim has to literally step out from in back of Bond to be seen for the introduction. One thing he and Audie have in common is they both remind me of cute, cuddly teddy bear cubs, whereas Alan Ladd is more mature looking. I know Tim made quite a few westerns, but it's hard for me to see him as a big hero type. I really prefer him in contemporary movies.

*Anne*

That's weird. I never thought of Tim Holt as a short in stature like I did with Ladd or Murphy. I grew up on his later westerns after he returned from the war. To me he always had a stocky built. There was more meat on his bones and he carried himself with much more authority then the other two. Thinking about it now it seems like he could have dropped Ladd or Murphy without breaking a sweat..I am big fans of the other two also. In fact I have more of their films then I do his. I never saw his early westerns until the last 5 years or so. Of course there was "Stagecoach" where he was younger and thinner. But that's interesting about his height. It's almost like Cagney, he was short like Ladd but the way he carried himself make him seem bigger. .George Marshall, the director we've been discussing lately said he told Ladd the same thing about it, don't worry about your height, just look at Cagney, he doesn't try to hide how tall he is, but Ladd was to paranoid aboiut it....

Well, there you go again. Two people with different impressions about the same guy. Isn't it odd that his height should look different to both of us? No biggie, but you're right about Ladd, he was paranoid about his height, but I think he was only something like 5'4", which would make him shorter than most of the women who were starring at that time.

*Anne*

The ENCORE WESTERN CHANNEL will be showing TIM HOLT westerns on Thursday, January 29th. He may be short...maybe. But he's cute as all get out.

Every man can't be six feet tall or the junior pettit ladies would have nobody to match up with. I agree he is an attractive guy and will be tuning in. I only know him from Sierra Madre and will be seeing these movies for the first time. I knew there had to be a reason I've lived so long.

I remember it well, we diccussed Tim, his dad Jack and sister Jennifer. A good thread about a talented family....

I first noticed Tim in the film noir, *His Kind of Woman*. He only has a small role but he really made an impact, I thought. It was only later I learned he was a western star and who his Dad was.

Tim definitely deserves his own thread!

I wish I got that channel - I'd be watching for sure. Maybe I'll scan Netflix for Tim's movies and have a mini film festival that day.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Some really wonderful shots of Tim. A fine western star who proved he could hold his own in other fields beside the oaters { which he loved}....

> {quote:title=fredbaetz wrote:}{quote}

> So sad that Tim died of bone cancer at age 54 in 1973...

I didn't know this!!! :(:(:(

I think he's such a cutie in those pictures, Jackie. I really enjoyed seeing him again the other night in *His Kind of Woman*.

vlcsnap-00015.jpg

I'm embarrassed to admit, I never realized Tim Holt was in His Kind of Woman... If he's not wearing a cowboy hat, I sometimes don't recognize him. He's an under the radar kind of actor who fits into other settings easily.

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> I'm embarrassed to admit, I never realized Tim Holt was in His Kind of Woman... If he's not wearing a cowboy hat, I sometimes don't recognize him. He's an under the radar kind of actor who fits into other settings easily.

When i first saw the movie i was actually smitten with his character! He speaks with kind of a south western accent that's so attractive.

> The ENCORE WESTERN CHANNEL will be showing TIM HOLT westerns on Thursday, January 29th. He may be short...maybe. But he's cute as all get out.

Among the titles scheduled:

- WAGON TRAIN (the earliest in the batch from 1941...will air again on March 6)

- RIDERS OF THE RANGE (airs again on March 3)

- STAGECOACH KID

- TARGET (his last western at RKO in 1952)

I really enjoyed Wagon Train when it was on TCM - for a B western, it really ended up feeling like an A western by the end of the movie. There are some splendidly dark moments -Tim's reaction, facing up to the fact that Martha is engaged to someone else, O'Driscoll's numb stance when the men come back after an indian attack in which only she was spared, and Ellen Lowe's realistic demeanor all the way through the film were highlights for me.

Great performances by Tim, Martha O'Driscoll, and Ellen Lowe.

Some facts about one of my all time favorite "B" Western stars: Tim Holt

Beat out Ronald Reagan for the role of "Curtin" in "Treasure of Sierra Madre"

Only acted once with his sister Jennifer and their dad Jack. On a CBS radio show called All; Star Theater. They did a dramatic sketch

Good friends with John Wayne, they used to pratice their shooting and drawing together. The Duke visited Tim in the hospital shortly before his death in 1973.

Usually wore gloves in his Westerns, said that working cowboys did.

Considered the fastest draw in Hollywood. He could draw his revolver in 5 frames of film, about 1/6 of a second.

From 1941 to 1943 and 1948 to 1952 he was one of the top 10 B.O. stars....

Only "B" Western star to smoke. In some films he smoked a pipe

My exact same thought when I first heard it....He also beat out Kirby Grant { Sky King } for the role in Orson Wells "Magnificent Ambersons".....

Thanks Miss G for the update. I'll have to check these out. I see they are the pre war series he did for RKO., I see it's volume 1, so maybe they'll put out the post war Westerns with Richard Martin as "Chico"...