Sign in to follow this  
FloydDBarber

My Favorite Year - Peter O'Toole

14 posts in this topic

This has always been one of my favorite comedies, but I now feel cheated.

I saw the film on television a number of years ago and discovered that several scenes on the vhs video I purchased, were edited.

The scene where Benjy carries a cardboard cutout of Alan Swann onto the elevator, is completely gone. All we see is him picking up the cardboard cutout, and walking to the elevator and then he is shown in the office. Anything filmed in the elevator has been edited out. The other scene is the Boss Hijack sketch. When I watched it on television much of the sketch was shown, but in the video very little was shown, because it was not essential to the plot.

Although the missing scenes are not so important to the plot, they add to the continuity of the scenes.

How can I find a copy of the film with these scenes restored?

Although it may be available, I have never seen this film on dvd, I have an old vhs copy.

It seems very strange that the scenes were shown on television, and television is known to delete scenes to add more space for commercials.

I really love this movie also because, as intented, it made me feel I was back in the 1950 the golden age of TV and how the Olivia De Havilland Errol Flynn relationship was implied in the characters (the gal Swann talks about during that dinner is Olivia).

I remember those scenes you mention but I have only seen the movie on TV. Man, when you get a video, if anything changes, one would expectsto see more scenes not less (e.g. there isn't any need to fit the movie into say a 2 hour format with commericals!).

Yes, this is very strange.

I've wondered about the parallels between "My Favorite Year" and "The Lost Weekend". In "Year" they search O'Toole's coat for whiskey bottles, in "Weekend" Milland forgets he hid a bottle in his coat and it breaks. In "Year" O'Toole goes to a nightclub, steals someone's girlfriend and the band strikes up "Somebody Stole My Gal" in "Weekend" Milland steals a woman's purse and the band strikes up "Somebody Stole My Purse" in the same melody.

By the way, I love Groucho Marx's quip that Peter O'Toole has a double phallic name!

Well it is clear to me the screenwritter(s) were classic movie fans so I assume these 'parallels' were intentional. Like when they show a clip from one of Swann's movies; It is clearly the fight scene between Flynn and Rathbone from Adventures of Robin Hood. This is why I know that at that dinner when he talks about the one that got away and that he truely loved this is a reference to Olivia.

I also love that Groucho quip! One of many great ones from a master.

I caught this film about 35 minutes in and wish I were able to record it, since it isn't available on DVD. I was surprised at how many times I laughed in just 10 minutes. I really like Peter O'Toole in this. I hope TCM airs it again in the near future.

This movie should not be shown on TCM: its in color, and most of the cast is still alive and walking around today.( Of course I am kidding.) This is a great film, I remember seeing it when it came out. Its one of those " why can't they make them like they used to" movies. Of course they can and they did. And they still can today, if they want to. I have a dvd I bought a few years ago. I don't believe any scenes are deleted, and director Richard Benjamin gives a nice commentary track.

That's mister roberts for you: always trying to stir up trouble! ha ha.

What you said is so on target, since the movie is a 'throw back' type of film. It packs a lot of laughs and punch but like the classic movies I love, all done with good taste and class.

I forgot that Richard Benjamin, the actor, was also the director of this picture. He did a nice job here.

*I forgot that Richard Benjamin, the actor, was also the director of this picture.*

And it was produced by Mel Brooks who knew a thing or three about working with Sid Caesar (a great homage by the way by Joe Bologna as King Kaiser) and other pioneers of television.

I always felt Joe Bologna was underutilized by movie producers. He did make another very funny movie with Michael Caine where he has an affair with his daughter while on vacation (can't recall the name), but the guy was really funny.

The homage to Caesar was great and again that is what makes the movie cool; The homage to classics from a bygone era.

> {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}

> I always felt Joe Bologna was underutilized by movie producers. He did make another very funny movie with Michael Caine where he has an affair with his daughter while on vacation (can't recall the name), but the guy was really funny.

>

> The homage to Caesar was great and again that is what makes the movie cool; The homage to classics from a bygone era.

BLAME IT ON RIO (1984). I caught it on cable last year, good film.

Lou Jacobi was also in the film. Extremely funny man. When they're having dinner in Brooklyn, Jacobi asks about a woman Swann had an affair with and asks "did you schtoop her"? I think this is the funniest scene in the film. Jacobi's wife is trying to make a good impression so she wears her wedding dress to dinner. One of the guests is shocked but says "nice dress". The lady says "Thank you, I only wore it once".

one of my all time favorite movies. Don't forget the great Lainie Kazan playing the kid's mother. The scenes in the Brooklyn apartment with all the relatives is hysterical. And the way EVERYTHING goes wrong at the end and comes out PERFECTLY is a sight to see. The scenes with all the comedy writers always reminded me of The Dick Van Dyke show with Rob , Sally and Buddy. There is even a very brief ' homage' to the show. In one scene, right before the Joe Bologna character enters the room the writers pull darts out of his photo on the wall. Buddy Sorrell did the exact same thing on a DVD episode just as Alan Brady was about to enter. Good times.