Sign in to follow this  
ERROL23

George Raft

18 posts in this topic

My Favorites

1 Background To Danger

2 Intrigue

3 Invisible Stripes

4 Each Dawn I Die(Note Cagney and George traded parts at the last minute)

5They Drive By Night

I absolutely adore Raft and would love to see more of his films airing on TCM! I'd also love it if they'd release some of the films on box sets!

I like his early films, but this is a rare instance (a few others) where I love him even more as he ages, and probably his mid-40's films and so on are my faves of his, for whatever reason. Just love his film presence!

mark, have you seen Raft in SIDE STREET (1929)? I have never seen the film, but this clip on youtube is beyond impressive and makes you think he should have been cast in musicals of the 40s. I read that it's his oldest surviving film.

Love that's a great clip! I've not seen that, but have seen some of his early stuff. Would love to see more!

I've been digging on some of his later B stuff lately, from the "Forgotten Noir" collections. I have two of them, with 3 of his films from that later era. LOAN SHARK is awesome!

Apparently, Raft never liked to watch himself on screen. Once on the Tonight Show, Carson had Raft as a guest and showed some film clips. Raft would not watch them.

> {quote:title=RayFaiola wrote:}{quote}

> Raft made a series of nifty noirs for RKO in the 40's, the best of which was probably NOCTURNE.

Ray, I agree, I really dug that flick and loved him in the 40's!!! He rocked!

I'm digging on some of his appearances in the Forgotten Noir series (available on Amazon and other sites). I was able to get 3 of them through 2 of these sets, though some of the other films are worth a look too, of course, particularly for fans of low-budget and obscure noir/crime films. The best of the 3, by far, is LOAN SHARK, excellent flick with heavy noir hitter Paul Stewart, and occasional hanger-on John Hoyt, rounding out the cast. I also did MAN FROM CAIRO and I'LL GET YOU too though, Raft during this period rocked, as he did pretty much in any era of his career!

Joanbennett7.jpg

I like HOUSE ACROSS THE BAY. The print that TCM showed earlier this year was terrible, but it's a great story and Raft is perfect in it (with Joan Bennett and Walter Pidgeon). I find it interesting that he is missing during the middle portion of the film (when Bennett's relationship with Pidgeon is explored), but when he makes that prison break at the end, it's sensational. He proves that you can own a picture and carry it, even with less screen time than your costars. That's the sign of a memorable actor.

Great actor, I wish to see more of him on TCM. FMC was running "Nob Hill" and it was interesting seeing him in a different role. He pulled off the fatherly figure perfectly.

I'm a big Raft fan as well. He had a great-sounding voice (to me) and his eyes were very intense. I also bought the Forgotten Noir series from amazon. I didn't care for Loan Shark too much but i really enjoyed The Man From Cairo. I believe it was filmed in Morocco and Egypt. Many years ago i had read that the powers that be were considering George Raft and Hedy Lamarr as a possibility for Casablanca. I would have walked across hot coals to see those two in anything. Oh if only. And i do agree with you mark; Raft really hit his stride in the forties and fifties as i prefer him in those noirish/crime movies no matter how big the budget was. George Raft: better with age.

Randy I agree, his voice is awesome, as are his eyes---very penetrating! Sorry you didn't like LOAN SHARK, I really dig that one, I had a little George Raft "fest" this week, re-watched that one, and also THE MAN FROM CAIRO, I agree that is a good one too! Would love to get more Raft films, if only they would release a box set!! Or two! :)

Well, for your sake mark, i hope they do release a Raft box set (and for all his fans). I believe Raft can carry a picture by himself. He was so lucky... working with so many beautiful actresses: ella raines, dietrich, lynn bari, marie windsor, joan bennett, mae west, gene tierney, claire trevor, signe hasso, ida lupino, ann sheridan, ...

I love this famous quote from George Raft: " I spent a lot of my money on women and gambling. The rest i spent foolishly ". always cracks me up.

Randy that is a GREAT quote and so much like Raft!!! They have A BULLET FOR JOEY on Amazon, I may get it, it also has Eddie G, another fave of mine in it!

>>They have A BULLET FOR JOEY on Amazon, I may get it, it also has Eddie G, another fave of mine in it!

Save your money or put it on MANPOWER which also has Raft and Robinson. A BULLET FOR JOEY is one of the worst films for either actor. It's aired on TCM, maybe it will again.

But there is a cute anecdote connected to the film told by Audrey Totter. She and Raft were rehearsing a scene for a sound check which involved them being in a clinch and the sound man cried out that he was picking up some rustling noise.

"Are you wearing a steel corset?" asked Raft.

She replied "yes" and he said "So am I."

Netflix has "A Bullet fir Joey", "Invisible Stripes","Loan Shark". "The Man from Cairo" and "They Drive by Night"....