Sign in to follow this  
musicalnovelty

SONY Screen Classics By Request

72 posts in this topic

Just made a random selection, which happened to be THE SPIRITUALIST - wanted to check if indeed this was the film aslo known as THE AMAZING MR. X (it is). The aspect ratio is listed as 1.85. For a film made in 1948????

In checking the Sony site this 1948 film is indeed the one with Lynn Bari and Turhan Bey since the site shows a clip from the film, but the aspect ratio is entirely wrong. Am confused since I thought this film was originally released by Eagle Lion. From the clip the print looks very good.

As a followup apparently there are some glitches on the site and they will be corrected shortly.

Edited by: Edgecliff on Sep 10, 2010 6:56 PM

Edited by: Edgecliff on Sep 10, 2010 8:38 PM

Classicflix.com is apparently going to make these titles available for rental.

Word has it that FOX will be starting some sort of an MOD release plan beginning January. They have so many titles yet to be released, I hope this is true. I have very little interest in most of the announced upcoming Columbia titles.

Edited by: Edgecliff on Sep 14, 2010 3:40 PM

The Amazing Mr X was already released twice by VCI

The only ones that might be of interest to me are Fragment of Fear, 10 Billington Place and the 27th Day

None of them I have seen and I am not sure if I want to spend any more $$ on even more obscure titles than Warner Archive..at least with Warner I know my tastes and I rarely buy one I dislike but Sony's titles are all unknown to me

New titles:

40 Carats (1973)

Eleanor, First Lady of the World (1982)

Everything's Ducky (1961)

Idol on Parade (1959)

Ladies in Retirement (1941)

Mark of the Gorilla (1950)

No Sex Please, We're British (1973)

Screaming Mimi (1958)

The Wrong Box (1966)

The Deadly Affair (1966)

> {quote:title=Edgecliff wrote:}{quote}

> New titles:

>

> 40 Carats (1973)

> Eleanor, First Lady of the World (1982)

> Everything's Ducky (1961)

> Idol on Parade (1959)

> Ladies in Retirement (1941)

> Mark of the Gorilla (1950)

> No Sex Please, We're British (1973)

> Screaming Mimi (1958)

> The Wrong Box (1966)

> The Deadly Affair (1966)

Couple of my favorites on that list.

THE WRONG BOX is a marvelous comedy awash in mid-1960's style Victoriana, with a great cast ? Michael Caine, John Mills, Ralph Richardson, Peter Cook and Dudley Moore. Peter Sellers as a drunken doctor in a room full of cats has only two scenes, but hysterically funny ones. The whole film, though, is stolen by Wilfred Lawson as the oldest, dottiest butler ever.

IDOL ON PARADE marks the first time Anthony Newley sang in a film, playing a pop singer drafted into the army. (His character, Jeep Jackson, specializes in rock-a-billy, which was especially popular in England at that time. Even the Beatles credit Buddy Holly and Gene Vincent as their influences.) Jackson's Irish drill sergent is played by William Bendix and his long-suffering CO is the wonderful Lionel Jeffries. The film's four songs were released on an EP and, much to the surprise of the producers, the ballad, "I've Waited So Long" went to #1 on the UK pop charts and overnight, Newley became a recording artist.

TripH, sorry for the tardy delay. 10 RILLINGTON PLACE (1971 with Attenborough as the weasly little bad guy) isn't the first "from killer/stalker's point of view" crime film, and I don't think they did a good job in making it more of a "From Killer's POV". I'm not sure they really wanted to - I've read that it was criticized as a near-tutorial for killers early in it's release. Of course, now those comments are lamentably tame compared to the last 30 years of film "how-to's".

I degrade Attenborough's performance compared to others by him (MORNING DEPARTURE gets my favorite status, and BRIGHTON ROCK is up there, too) but his real-life character seems to have been much like Atten's portrayal - meek, milquotoast-ish, pretty darned weird.

The film's construction of events gets a good recommendation - taking us into the murder-house, then recounting the story, finally recounting the discovery afterwards.

Are you familiar with SOMETHING WILD (1961 with Carroll Baker and Ralph Meeker)? That film upsets me on so many levels, makes me totally uncomfortable watching it - and that's probably part of their good purpose. RILLINGTON PLACE has the same sort of "I feel dirty after seeing this" kind of effect. I want to say, "This is an unpleasant film" as if some films about killers are great and joyful exercises. They shouldn't be. But still, RILLINGTON is unpleasant for me.

It's hard to recommend that kind of experience onto someone, but I can say we bought the Brit DVD years ago and we'll get the Region-1 release soon.

I ordered 10 Rillington Place - a Region 2 DVD (it was cheaper than the Sony DVDr) it sounded interesting enough

The others of interest Fragment of Fear and the 27th Day I plan to rent from ClassicFlix ..in fact I opened an account with them so I will rent a lot of the studios Archives from here on out if there is a title that Im not sure about

Some titles I suspect I will enjoy very much and get them when they are discounted while the ones I need to be certain if its a 'keeper' I will rent out and give it shot that way

Coming in early January:

Assignment: Paris (1952)

Battle of Rogue River (1954)

The Black Dakotas (1954)

The Gun That Won the West (1955)

Jungle Man-Eaters (1954)

The Nevadan (1950)

Paula (1952)

Psyche 59 (1964)

Return to Warbow (1958)

Streets of Ghost Town (1950)

Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams (1973)

The Swordsman (1948)

X, Y and Zee (1972)

has anybody been following these? it looks like a lot of new titles have been added to their site but there doesn't seem to be any way to get updates, either by email or facebook, etc.

i just discovered they have Storm Center with Bette Davis and Kim Hunter. i would say take a look and point out anything new that interests you. also send them some feedback that it doesn't really help for them to release new movies if nobody even knows about them.

> {quote:title=mateo107 wrote:}{quote}

> has anybody been following these? it looks like a lot of new titles have been added to their site but there doesn't seem to be any way to get updates, either by email or facebook, etc.

>

> i just discovered they have Storm Center with Bette Davis and Kim Hunter. i would say take a look and point out anything new that interests you. also send them some feedback that it doesn't really help for them to release new movies if nobody even knows about them.

of all places, Oldies.com seems to have the info on future releases

http://www.oldies.com/product/comingsoon.cfm/collection_Sony-Screen-Classics-by-Request.html

Some new titles:

The 7th Dawn (1964) - William Holden, Susannah York, Capucine

99 River Street (1953) - John Payne, Evelyn Keyes

Big House, U.S.A. (1955) - Broderick Crawford, Ralph Meeker, Reed Hadley, William Talman, Lon Chaney Jr.

By Love Possesed (1961) - Lana Turner, Efrem Zimbalist Jr., Jason Robards, George Hamilton, Susan Kohner, Thomas Mitchell, Everett Sloane

Captain Kidd and the Slave Girl (1954) - Anthony Dexter, Eva Gabor, Alan Hale Jr.

Diary of a Madman (1963) - Vincent Price, Nancy Kovack

Flight from Ashiya (1964) - Yul Brynner, Richard Widmark, George Chakiris, Suzy Parker, Shirley Knight

More NEW titles:

Across the Sierras (1941)

Blind Alley (1939)

Blood and Concrete (1991)

Hart to Hart: Old Friends Never Die (1994)

Let's Do It Again (1953), Jane Wyman, Ray Milland

Meet the Stewarts (1942)

Rumble on the Docks (1956)

Sister Mary Explains It All (2001)

Three for the Show (1955), Betty Grable, Jack Lemmon, Marge & Gower Champion

To Kill a Priest (1988)

A Walk in the Spring Rain (1970) Ingrid Bergman

You Belong to Me (1941), Barbara Stanwyck, Henry Fonda

Edited by: Edgecliff on Feb 8, 2011 6:28 PM

Thanks to Edgecliff and Filmlover for listing the titles, it's very helpful!

I just sent my dad a link for THREE FOR THE SHOW, as I'm sure he'd love to trade in his VHS for a widescreen. :)

March 1 releases

Abandoned and Deceived (1995)

Creatures the World Forgot (1971)

Destroyer (1943)

Dirty Little Billy (1972)

Hammerhead (1968)

The Kid from Broken Gun (1952)

Laramie Mountains (1952)

Out of the Dark (1989)

R.P.M. (1970)

The Reckoning (1971)

The Southern Star (1969)

Three Hours to Kill (1954)

To me another uninteresting selection of films. Nothing compared to the Warner Archives releases.

I'm wondering if some of these titles need restoration and that is why Columbia is holding back releasing some of the older films since to me they have released very little worthwhile films to purchase.

> I'm wondering if some of these titles need restoration and that is why Columbia is holding back releasing some of the older films since to me they have released very little worthwhile films to purchase.

It wouldn't surprise me if that was why.

More new releases. Some of these titles might have been listed previously. Its hard to keep up with what Sony is doing.

40 Carats (1973)

Screaming Mimi (1958)

The Wrong Box (1966)

The Nevadan (1950)

X, Y and Zee (1971)

Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams

Storm Center (1956)

The Case Against Brooklyn (1958)

The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial (1988)

The Mind of Mr. Soames (1969).

*New Releases 5/3:*

THE GODDESS (1958) This film follows young Emily Ann Faulkner from her unloved childhood to lonely superstardom as Hollywood heartthrob Rita Shawn. The great Paddy Chayefsky crafted his script around the talents of the film's star, Broadway titan Kim Stanley, and she more than delivers. An astonishing performance from a great talent. Also features Patty Duke & Lloyd Bridges. 16x9 WIDESCREEN

EIGHT IRON MEN (1952) Lee Marvin stars as a sergeant in charge of a squad fighting its way through Italy during WWII. Joe Mooney's determination to see his squad make it out alive is sorely tested when the most hapless of his unit get pinned down in a trench, mere yards from an enemy machine gun nest. Edward Dmytryk directs.

THE LIBERATION OF L.B. JONES (1969) Sterling Siliphant (The Heat of The Night) co-wrote the script for William Wyler's last film, a searing portrait of race relations in the South of the 1960s. When LB Jones (Roscoe Lee Browne), the richest African American in town, files for divorce, revealing his wife's (Lola Falana) affair with a white cop (Anthony Zerbe) he sets off a murderous chain of events. Superb cast includes Lee J. Cobb, Yaphet Kotto, Barbara Hershey, and Lee Majors. 16x9 WIDESCREEN

THE RELUCTANT SAINT (1962) Edward Dmytryk directs this film version of the extraordinary journey of Giussepe Desa (Maximilian Schell), from "village idiot" to Saint Joseph of Cupertino. Celebrated novelist John Fante contributed to the script. Also stars Ricardo Montalban. 16x9 WIDESCREEN.

BECAUSE THEY'RE YOUNG (1960) Dick Clark steps away from the bandstand to play a young teacher who finds romance while helping his students chart the turbulent waters of adolescence. This rarely scene youth picture also features the radiant Tuesday Weld & a young Doug McClure. 16x9 WIDESCREEN.

SWITCHING CHANNELS (1987) Ben Hecht and Charles MacArthur's classic The Front Page gets an '80s makeover and revisits the same dynamic as seen in His Girl Friday. Christy Colleran (Kathleen Turner) is determined to gets out from under her ex-husband & producer John "Sully' Sullivan's (Burt Reynolds) thumb and marry the new man in her life (Christopher Reeve). But Sully knows she's a sucker for a good story... Directed by Ted Kotcheff (Fun With Dick and Jane). 16x9 WIDESCREEN

THE RETURN OF DANIEL BOONE (1941) Western giant "Wild Bill" Elliott puts on the spurs of Bill Boone, grandson of Daniel Boone, and takes on a corrupt town on behalf of a fair maiden (the winsome Betty Miles). And while Bill is busy cleaning up town, his sidekick Cannonball (Dub Taylor) is badly distracted by a fetching pair of twins (the Rodik Twins) that he mistakenly thinks is a single woman.

LARAMIE (1949) The Durango Kid rides again! This thrilling installment of the long-running Durango Kid series sees the Kid (Charles Starrett) racing against time to prevent an all-out war between the Cavalry and the local natives when their chief is murdered at a peace conference. Co-starring The Lone Ranger's Jay Silverheels with Smiley Burnette provided top-notch comic relief.

June 7 releases:

Barbary Pirate (1949)

Key Witness (1947)

Love and Human Remains (1993)

Love Has Many Faces (1965)

Miracle on Interstate 880 (1993)

Mother, May I Sleep with Danger? (1996)

No Sad Songs for Me (1950)

Slightly French (1949)

Snake River Desperadoes (1951)

Two Against Time (2002)

White Line Fever (1975)

To date most of Sony's MOD releases have been from hunger. There may be one or two titles on this list that are OK including NO SAD SONGS FOR ME which is Margaret Sullivan's last film.

> June 7 releases:

>

> Barbary Pirate (1949)

> Key Witness (1947)

> Love and Human Remains (1993)

> Love Has Many Faces (1965)

> Miracle on Interstate 880 (1993)

> Mother, May I Sleep with Danger? (1996)

> No Sad Songs for Me (1950)

> Slightly French (1949)

> Snake River Desperadoes (1951)

>

That's good that there are a few from the 1940's there. But please Sony, more 1930's! And how about some shorts compilations, such as the Columbia Charley Chase shorts?