Sign in to follow this  
countessdelave

It's Coming: the 17th TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE

33 posts in this topic

*Watch for the 17th TCM Programming Challenge after mid-October.* Just to give anyone who has never participated a taste of what to expect, here's a link to the 16th Challenge:

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=153156&start=0&tstart=0

The rules and schedules of the last Challenge are posted in this thread. Yours truly has the honor of hosting the 17th Challenge. I will have a few different requirements, as does every Challenge host.

Please consider joining the next Programming Challenge.

I know this is long shot but I have to ask - would you allow individual and joint entries?

Capuchin and I work with databases and CAD so we both finish very quickly. We have kept our ideas and selections secret from each other until we post our entries. I think it would be nice to work with him on an entry. I still want to do one of my own although my mind is totally blank about what I might do. -I think the nursery rhymes I used in last one will be the highpoint of my challenge career.- I know he wants to do an entry because he mentioned a strange idea for week-long UberTheme.

Could you allow entry from me, entry from Capuchin, and entry co-created by both of us?

Please please please :)

I hope that when people make these schedules, they try not to get too clever, and program it the way TCM would do it...keeping in mind that twenty premieres of Universal and Paramount films is wishing for the moon (not realistic). Also, there is often an educational aspect to how TCM programs its movies. It's not going to be all Errol Flynn and Gene Tierney...there are going to be non-fiction offerings as well as offerings from after the end of the production code.

I would strongly suggest getting a copy of the MGM Stock Company (I bought mine on Amazon). And I would also go to IMDB and search Warners and RKO productions from the classic era. These are the performers and films that would most likely turn up on a TCM schedule.

Otherwise, we might as well rename it as the NBC/Universal Programming Challenge or the Fox Movie Channel Programming Challenge. Use what is available to TCM's programmers. You may not like it, but that is where the challenge lies...to make a fun and interesting schedule with the available resources. If you try to get too clever, then you are putting the focus on yourself (saying 'look how smart I am'), not on the films.

An example of a film I would program would be BELLE OF THE YUKON. Great movie, with Gypsy Rose Lee in a rare starring role on film, and Dinah Shore in a rare film appearance (where she is acting as well as singing)...it's a Technicolor western with Randolph Scott, and done by RKO, released on DVD by MGM. There are some good character actors in it, too. I have not seen it on TCM since I began watching this channel. This is the kind of film that should be shown again. There are many themes where this film could easily fit in. I challenge someone to use it on their schedule.

belle_of_the_yukon,0.jpg

There is a limit of premieres, but it is up to the person doing the schedule to decide on their films. The films may not be available normally, but it could inspire the TCM programmer to look for them or for a particular theme (the TCM programmer looks in on our schedules and sometimes uses parts of them for actual scheduling).

By the way, MFF, I don't think we have ever seen a schedule from you.

I think you have to be a poster for x-number of months in order to qualify, right? SInce this is a relatively new screenname, I don't think I will be eligible. I'd love to join in...also, I am never sure about when the week occurs...is this a general week anytime of the year for which we make the schedule? Or is it a special week, like during the holidays? And does it start on Sunday or Monday? I guess I need to read the rules. LOL

Good luck to all those who enter this next challenge. It really is a brain buster, but fun. Your moderator will aptly guide you.

Those who can't do...teach. Those who can't teach, teach gym.

MFF, anyone can enter the programming challenge, and we all hope you will. About a year ago I entered for the first time as a relatively new poster to the boards. Everyone was very encouraging. The last challenge had a newcomer who did a great job.

It's true that the TCM programmers read our schedules, and the more you make your schedule like a real TCM schedule, the likelier you are to see some of your ideas be used.

Share your ideas and enthusiasm!

kingrat is right, MFF. And there are two things that one can definitely get out of doing a schedule - which is hard work at times - 1. You learn to respect the TCM programmer's job a lot more, and 2. You get to have fun programing themes you'd like to see.

That last is paramount...have fun! We all take part because we love movies.

And, MFF, you learn to appreciate wha the other person has done once you create your own schedule. Not like that person last time, ClassicViewer, who not only didn't create a schedule but gave a personal criticism of each schedule that others had posted, including telling the people who created them what they should have done. Very obnoxious behavior.

*I hope that when people make these schedules, they try not to get too clever, and program it the way TCM would do it...keeping in mind that twenty premieres of Universal and Paramount films is wishing for the moon (not realistic). Also, there is often an educational aspect to how TCM programs its movies. It's not going to be all Errol Flynn and Gene Tierney...there are going to be non-fiction offerings as well as offerings from after the end of the production code.*

MFF,

If you look back at previous schedules, you should see that your fears are unfounded. It will be up to the moderator of the Challenge, Countessdelave, as to the theme of the challenge and how many premieres will be allowed.

When TCM finally got access to the Columbia library a few years ago, there weren't a plethora of schedules focused on that library alone and I doubt that will happen this time. Most participants are very creative and if you look at past schedules you will see that creativity shining through.

*I would strongly suggest getting a copy of the MGM Stock Company (I bought mine on Amazon). And I would also go to IMDB and search Warners and RKO productions from the classic era. These are the performers and films that would most likely turn up on a TCM schedule.*

When Countess officially opens the Challenge, there will be a long post from her outlining the theme of the Challenge, the number of premieres (as I mentioned above) , the rules AND there will also be a list of which studios films can be pulled from AND links to IMDB for a list of each studio's films.

You really should look through the archives at some of the Challenges. I think you might be surprised.

Edited by: lzcutter on Sep 24, 2010 4:14 PM

MFF - What I love about a Challenge is how clever every entry is. I do not think any entrant expects their entry to be used as is as real schedule but it is definite plus that real programmers have used some of the cleverer ideas. It is standard part of communication skills that excellent way to influence people is to be a bit over the top so people can say to themselves: "This is ridiculous but we can use it if we tone it down a smidge."

CineMaven - I agree it is a brain-buster. It is also great thrill when last piece falls into place. It is less than great thrill when I see I made a mistake and instead of being finished I had to redo entire day but that is the price one pays. I love your quote. I never heard it that way. It certainly seems apt from the gym teachers I knew.

MFF - I believe each Challenge Setter can modify or create any rules to suit them but I found it is traditional that anyone can post an entry. New members have been particularly encouraged to enter. Voting is restricted to people who have been here a set period. I entered when I was not eligible to vote but entering made me eligible to vote.

filmlover - I believe ClassicViewer's behavior was in quite bad taste but I did not see in it overt attempt at being obnoxious. It seemed to me they were saying: "I'm too good to do the work but I'm not too good to tell everyone how I could have made their mediocre efforts excellent." In my years of dealing with military administration and third-rate scientists and engineers I have seen this particular form of hubris often. I believe it is best to view such people with pity rather than contempt.

Thanks, everyone, for the replies.

I just made a schedule. I think I will post it in this thread later today. I don't want to compete in the challenge, but I do want to offer up my ideas. This way, people can provide more suggestions to me and they can also see that I have made the effort. It took about five hours for me to do this.

You can't get all your favorite actors on in one week (it's impossible). And I noticed that based on the themes I selected, sometimes I wound up choosing films more from one studio than I would've liked. I only selected two or three films from Fox. If I left the MGM/RKO/Warners library, I usually picked Samuel Goldwyn (often distributed through RKO) and United Artists (often released through MGM). Of course, I do have some Universal and Paramount pictures. I wasn't sure if Columbia releases were easy to obtain, and since I had some of them, I tried to pick ones I know have aired on TCM before, so it's obviously possible to have them shown.

I tried to cover all the genres, but I fell short on war films (if this were Memorial Day weekend, then I would focus on war films). And I am not a great fan of science fiction, so I chose melodramas and film noir over sci-fi.

One thing I do is that I keep index cards on actors and themes. So when it came time to putting this schedule together, all I had to do was pull the card...then look up the running time of each film and get them to fit into a day, like a jigsaw puzzle. I had to drop a few titles I really wanted, because of time. Another item I encountered was that the running times are listed differently on different databases, and sometimes even on the TCM database, it's an estimate...like it may say 74-76 minutes. So I usually went with the larger number.

I will post this schedule in just a bit. And you will see that I stayed away from being too clever. I didn't use silly puns or any of that. I kept the focus on the films and the artists.

Sometimes a film has multiple titles, like if it was re-released under a different name, then it may revert back to its original title. This happened with one of my selections, and I went with the title that is currently listed in the director's filmography.

You will also see that my priority is on the 30s, 40s & 50s. I did this on purpose. I think that when most people think of classic Hollywood films, they think of the 40s. So I hovered around the 40s with most of my selections. I love the 40s. :)

In my schedule, the movies by year:

1920s- 3

1930s- 26

1940s- 41

1950s- 22

1960s- 1

1970s- 0

1980s- 1

1990s- 1

And to give you an idea:

STAR OF THE MONTH: Barbara Stanwyck

THE ESSENTIALS: Monsieur Verdoux (1947)

SILENT SUNDAY NIGHTS: The Cameraman (1928) & Spite Marriage (1929)

TCM IMPORTS: Maedchen in Uniform (1931)

TCM UNDERGROUND: Blowup (1966)

Also, when I post the schedule, you will see that I list them chronologically by year. This is something I wish TCM would do. I know they like to shuffle the deck and put the most popular or well-known titles on at the beginning of primetime. But I think it's best to build up to the big film. If an actor has a title they made a few years earlier that really prepares us for the big Oscar winning role, then why not scaffold that correctly.

Another reason why I put films in chronological order (by production date) is because I find it jarring to see an actress at 48 having had a recent surgery, then in the next film, she is back to being 25 and sexy again with all her original collagen intact. And the same applies to the men, their hairlines recede, their waistlines expand (obviously the food in the studio commissary was good)...I think it's best to see them age and evolve naturally from role to role, instead of switching the sequence. I'd rather the films function as history...to see Leading Actor X go from 20 to 50, logically and naturally, in the span of an evening of films. This really works to great effect on the birthday tributes...especially with the child actors (you would not want to see Shirley Temple from 1949 before you see her in HEIDI a decade earlier).

> {quote:title=MyFavoriteFilms wrote:}{quote}

> I just made a schedule. I think I will post it in this thread later today.

I am very sorry for not understanding but I must ask: "Why are you doing such a thing?"

If you truly believe you are good at making schedules why do you not wait for Challenge?

You may surprise me but your description sounds to me to be more appropriate to film school list than what is appealing to viewing audience. To build schedule by date means putting best movies at times when few can watch. That is very academic. It is not how real world programmers should or would make schedule. I believed purpose of Challenge is to experience what TCM programmers have to do so we find new appreciation for their efforts.

I am sorry to read that you do not see past "silly puns". For my schedules all themes came from question: "What theme will justify bringing together some movies I would very much like to see on TCM?". There were always times when there were not many great movies to fill out theme so I scrapped theme rather than show only a few great movies and having to add several mediocre movies. I do not speak for others but I believe most do the same.

I am very surprised you can do whole week in five hours. You must be very special. It takes me longer than that even after I have schedule plotted out in CAD and am only doing cut-and-paste to move chosen titles from database to proper place in word processor document.

Yes, I did generate a week's schedule in about four to five hours. It's easy, especially if you have note cards to work from, as I have.

The titles I have picked are very popular and familiar to classic film buffs. I think it's best to schedule them in order, it's my preference...I don't see where that would necessarily be academic.

I think we're all special, myself included. :) I don't want to wait for the Challenge, because I am not interested in competing against others...I would prefer to compete against myself, and work on my own personal best. Make sense?

I hoped that if I posted it in advance I could get some non-competitive feedback. After reading your reply, I don't feel too encouraged.

> {quote:title=MyFavoriteFilms wrote:}{quote}

> I hoped that if I posted it in advance I could get some non-competitive feedback. After reading your reply, I don't feel too encouraged.

I always try to keep my mind open because I very much like it when I am pleasantly surprised. I am looking forward to seeing your schedule.

Thanks...well, I am about to head to church...so I will just go ahead and post it now. Maybe when I get home in a few hours, there will be some replies on ways to fix or improve it. I do think it's a good schedule, however, good in the sense that to me, it includes many of my favorite films and performers, as well as directors. (I used the third week in November.)

*TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE #17*

_Sunday November 14, 2010_

*Girls Coming of Age*

6:00 The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer (1947) Cary Grant, Myrna Loy, Shirley Temple. Dir: Irving Reis. RKO. BW-95 min.

7:45 A Date with Judy (1948) Wallace Beery, Jane Powell, Elizabeth Taylor. Dir: Richard Thorpe. MGM. C-113 min.

9:45 Her First Romance (1951) Margaret O?Brien, Allen Martin Jr., Jimmy Hunt. Dir: Seymour Friedman. Columbia. BW-73 min.

11:00 Member of the Wedding (1953) Ethel Waters, Julie Harris, Brandon De Wilde. Dir: Fred Zinnemann. Columbia: 91 min.

*Boys Coming of Age*

12:45 The Yearling (1939) Gregory Peck, Jane Wyman, Claude Jarman Jr. Dir: Clarence Brown. MGM. C-128 min.

3:00 The Red Pony (1949) Myrna Loy, Robert Mitchum, Louis Calhern. Dir: Lewis Milestone. Republic. C-89 min.

4:30 Cattle Drive (1951) Joel McCrea, Dean Stockwell, Leon Ames. Dir: Kurt Neumann. Universal. C-77 min.

*Modern Day Cinderella & Prince Charming*

6:00 Small Town Girl (1936) Janet Gaynor, Robert Taylor, James Stewart. Dir: William A. Wellman. MGM. BW-106 min.

8:00 The Bride Wore Red (1937) Joan Crawford, Franchot Tone, Robert Young, Billie Burke. Dir: Dorothy Arzner. MGM. BW-103 min.

10:00 Midnight (1939) Claudette Colbert, Don Ameche, John Barrymore, Mary Astor. Dir: Mitchell Leisen. Paramount. BW-94 min.

*Silent Sunday Nights*

11:45 The Cameraman (1928) Buster Keaton, Marceline Day, Harold Goodwin. Dir: Edward Sedgwick. MGM. BW-65 min.

1:00 Spite Marriage (1929) Buster Keaton, Dorothy Sebastian, Edward Earle. Dir: Edward Sedgwick. MGM. BW-80 min.

*TCM Imports*

2:30 Maedchen in Uniform (1931) Hertha Thiele, Dorothea Wieck. Dir: Leontine Sagan. Deutsche Film-Gemeinschaft. BW-98 min.

4:15 Maedchen in Uniform (1958) Lilli Palmer, Romy Schneider. Dir: Geza von Radvanyi. CCC Film. BW- 95 min.

_Monday November 15, 2010_

*Wise and All-Knowing Fathers*

6:00 Life with Father (1947) William Powell, Irene Dunne, Elizabeth Taylor. Dir: Michael Curtiz. Warner Bros. C-118 min.

8:00 Adventure in Baltimore (1949) Robert Young, Shirley Temple, John Agar. Dir: Richard Wallace. RKO. BW-89 min.

9:30 Father of the Bride (1950) Spencer Tracy, Joan Bennett, Elizabeth Taylor. Dir: Vincente Minnelli. MGM. BW-92 min.

11:15 Father?s Little Dividend (1951) Spencer Tracy, Joan Bennett, Elizabeth Taylor. Dir: Vincente Minnelli. MGM. BW-82 min.

*Career Women*

12:45 His Girl Friday (1940) Cary Grant, Rosalind Russell, Ralph Bellamy. Dir: Howard Hawks. Columbia. BW-92 min.

2:30 Over 21 (1943) Irene Dunne, Alexander Knox, Charles Coburn. Dir: Charles Vidor. Columbia. BW-102 min.

4:15 The Solid Gold Cadillac (1956) Judy Holliday, Paul Douglas. Dir: Richard Quine. Columbia. BW/C-99 min.

*Domestic Help*

6:00 Ruggles of Red Gap (1935) Charles Laughton, Mary Boland, Charles Ruggles, ZaSu Pitts. Dir: Leo McCarey. Paramount. BW-90 min.

7:45 Emma (1932) Marie Dressler, Richard Cromwell, Jean Hersholt. Dir: Clarence Brown. MGM. BW-72 min.

9:15 Adam Had Four Sons (1941) Ingrid Bergman, Warner Baxter, Susan Hayward, Fay Wray. Dir: Gregory Ratoff. Columbia. C-81 min.

10:45 Sitting Pretty (1948) Robert Young, Maureen O?Hara, Clifton Webb. Dir: Walter Lang. Fox. BW-84 min.

*Demented Villains*

12:15 Mad Love (1935) Peter Lorre, Frances Drake, Colin Clive. Dir: Karl Freund. MGM. BW-68 min.

1:30 The Body Snatcher (1945) Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi. Dir: Robert Wise. RKO. BW-73 min.

3:00 Journey Into Fear (1943) Joseph Cotten, Dolores Del Rio, Ruth Warrick. Dir: Norman Foster. RKO. BW-68 min.

4:15 The Stranger (1946) Edward G. Robinson, Loretta Young, Orson Welles. Dir: Orson Welles. RKO. BW-95 min.

_Tuesday November 16, 2010_

*Burgess Meredith Birthday Tribute*

6:00 Idiot?s Delight (1939) Norma Shearer, Clark Gable, Edward Arnold, Charles Coburn. Dir: Clarence Brown. MGM. BW-107 min.

8:00 Of Mice and Men (1939) Burgess Meredith, Betty Field, Lon Chaney Jr. Dir: Lewis Milestone. United Artists. BW-111 min.

10:00 Castle on the Hudson (1940) John Garfield, Ann Sheridan, Pat O?Brien, Burgess Meredith. Dir: Anatole Litvak. Warner Bros. BW-77 min.

11:30 Second Chorus (1940) Fred Astaire, Burgess Meredith, Paulette Goddard. Dir: H.C. Potter. Paramount. BW-84 min.

1:00 Tom, Dick and Harry (1941) Ginger Rogers, George Murphy, Alan Marshal, Burgess Meredith. RKO. BW-87 min.

2:30 That Uncertain Feeling (1941) Merle Oberon, Melvyn Douglas, Burgess Meredith. Dir: Ernst Lubitsch. United Artists. BW-84 min.

4:00 The Story of G.I. Joe (1945) Burgess Meredith, Robert Mitchum. Dir: William Wellman. United Artists. BW-108 min.

*Star of the Month ? Barbara Stanwyck*

6:00 Double Indemnity (1944) Fred MacMurray, Barbara Stanwyck, Edward G. Robinson. Dir: Billy Wilder. Paramount. BW-107 min.

8:00 The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946) Barbara Stanwyck, Van Heflin, Lizabeth Scott, Kirk Douglas. Dir: Lewis Milestone. Paramount. BW-116 min.

10:00 The File on Thelma Jordan (1950) Barbara Stanwyck, Wendell Corey, Paul Kelly. Dir: Robert Siodmak. Paramount. BW-100 min.

11:45 The Violent Men (1955) Glenn Ford, Barbara Stanwyck, Edward G. Robinson. Dir: Rudolph Mate. Columbia. C-96 min.

*Dance Hall Girls*

1:25 The Harvey Girls (1946) Judy Garland, John Hodiak, Ray Bolger, Angela Lansbury. Dir: George Sidney. MGM. C-102 min.

3:10 Belle of the Yukon (1944) Randolph Scott, Gypsy Rose Lee, Dinah Shore, Bob Burns. Dir: William A. Seiter. RKO. C-84 min.

4:35 Frenchie (1950) Joel McCrea, Shelley Winters, Paul Kelly, Elsa Lanchester. Dir: Louis King. Universal. C-81 min.

_Wednesday November 17, 2010_

*George S. Kaufman*

6:00 Dinner at Eight (1933) Marie Dressler, John Barrymore, Wallace Beery, Jean Harlow. Dir: George Cukor. MGM. BW-113 min.

8:00 A Night at the Opera (1935) Groucho Marx, Chico Marx, Harpo Marx. Dir: Sam Wood. Paramount. BW-96 min.

9:45 Stage Door (1937) Katharine Hepburn, Ginger Rogers, Adolphe Menjou. Dir: Gregory La Cava. RKO. BW-92 min.

11:30 The Senator Was Indiscreet (1947) William Powell, Ella Raines, Peter Lind Hayes. Dir: George S. Kaufman. Universal. BW-88 min.

*Moss Hart*

1:00 Winged Victory (1944) Lon McCallister, Jeanne Crain, Red Buttons, Don Taylor. Dir: George Cukor. Fox. BW-130 min.

3:15 Hans Christian Andersen (1952) Danny Kaye, Farley Granger, Zizi Jeanmaire. Dir: Charles Vidor. RKO. C-112 min.

5:15 A Star Is Born (1954) Judy Garland, James Mason, Jack Carson. Dir: George Cukor. Warner Bros. C-154 min.

*Kaufman & Hart*

8:00 You Can?t Take It With You (1938) Jean Arthur, Lionel Barrymore, James Stewart, Edward Arnold. Dir: Frank Capra. Columbia. BW-126 min.

10:15 George Washington Slept Here (1942) Jack Benny, Ann Sheridan, Charles Coburn. Dir: William Keighley. Warner Bros. BW-93 min.

12:00 The Man Who Came To Dinner (1942) Bette Davis, Ann Sheridan, Monty Woolley. Dir: William Keighley. Warner Bros. BW-112 min.

*Nancy Drew*

2:00 Nancy Drew-- Detective (1938) Bonita Granville, John Litel, James Stephenson. Dir: William Clemens. MGM. BW-67 min.

3:15 Nancy Drew-- Reporter (1939) Bonita Granville, John Litel, Frankie Thomas. Dir: William Clemens. Warner Bros. BW-68 min.

4:30 Nancy Drew-- Troubleshooter (1939) Bonita Granville, John Litel, Frankie Thomas. Dir: William Clemens. Warner Bros. BW-70 min.

_Thursday November 18, 2010_

*Newsmakers and Reporters*

6:00 Five Star FInal (1931) Edward G. Robinson, Marian Marsh, H.B. Warner. Dir: Mervyn LeRoy. Warner Bros. BW-89 min.

7:30 There Goes My Heart (1938) Fredric March, Virginia Bruce, Patsy Kelly. Dir: Norman Z. McLeod. Hal Roach Studios. BW-83 min.

9:00 Citizen Kane (1941) Orson Welles, Joseph Cotten, Dorothy Comingore. Dir: Orson Welles. RKO. BW-119 min.

11:00 Ace in the Hole (1951) Kirk Douglas, Jan Sterling, Robert Arthur. Dir: Billy Wilder. Paramount. BW-111 min.

1:00 Scandal Sheet (1952) Broderick Crawford, Donna Reed, John Derek. Dir: Phil Karlson. Columbia. BW-82 min.

2:30 Deadline U.S.A. (1952) Humphrey Bogart, Ethel Barrymore, Kim Hunter. Dir: Richard Brooks. Fox. BW-87 min.

4:00 Lonelyhearts (1958) Montgomery Clift, Robert Ryan, Myrna Loy, Dolores Hart. Dir: Vincent J. Donehue. United Artists. BW-100 min.

*Whistleblowers*

6:00 Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939) James Stewart, Jean Arthur, Harry Carey, Claude Rains. Dir: Frank Capra Columbia. BW-129 min.

8:15 The Undercover Man (1949) Glenn Ford, Nina Foch, James Whitmore. Dir: Joseph H. Lewis. Columbia. BW-85 min.

9:45 Tight Spot (1955) Ginger Rogers, Edward G. Robinson, Brian Keith. Dir: Phil Karlson. Columbia. BW-97 min.

*Campus Frolics*

12:00 Old Man Rhythm (1935) Charles Buddy Rogers, George Barbier, Barbara Kent. Dir: Edward Ludwig. RKO. BW-75 min.

1:30 Too Many Girls (1940) Lucille Ball, Richard Carlson, Ann Miller, Eddie Bracken. Dir: George Abbott. RKO. BW-85 min.

3:00 Good News (1947) June Allyson, Peter Lawford, Joan McCracken, Ray McDonald. Dir: Charles Walters. MGM. C-93 min.

4:45 The Affairs of Dobie Gillis (1953) Debbie Reynolds, Bobby Van, Barbara Ruick, Bob Fosse. Dir: Don Weis. MGM. BW-72 min.

_Friday November 19, 2010_

*George & Ira Gershwin*

6:00 Shall We Dance (1937) Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Edward Everett Horton. Dir: Mark Sandrich. RKO. BW-116 min.

8:00 The Goldwyn Follies (1938) Adolphe Menjou, Ritz Brothers, Andrea Leeds. Dir: George Marshall. Samuel Goldwyn Productions. C-122 min.

10:15 Strike Up The Band (1940) Mickey Rooney, Judy Garland, June Preisser. Dir: Busby Berkeley. MGM. BW-120 min.

12:30 Lady Be Good (1941) Eleanor Powell, Robert Young, Ann Sothern. . Dir: Norman Z. McLeod. MGM. BW-112 min.

2:30 Girl Crazy (1943) Mickey Rooney, Judy Garland, Gil Stratton. Dir: Norman Taurog, Busby Berkeley. MGM. BW-99 min.

4:15 Rhapsody in Blue (1945) Robert Alda, Joan Leslie, Alexis Smith. Dir: Irving Rapper. Warner Bros. BW-135 min.

*Classical Composers*

6:30 Amadeus (1984) F. Murray Abraham, Tom Hulce, Elizabeth Berridge. Dir: Milos Forman. Orion. C-161 min.

9:30 The Great Waltz (1938) Fernand Gravet, Luise Rainer, Miliza Korus. Dir: Julien Duvivier. MGM. BW-104 min.

11:30 A Song to Remember (1945) Paul Muni, Cornel Wilde, Merle Oberon, Nina Foch. Dir: Charles Vidor. Columbia. C-113 min.

1:30 Song of Love (1947) Katharine Hepburn, Paul Henried, Robert Walker. Dir: Clarence Brown. MGM. BW-119 min.

*TCM Underground*

3:45 Blowup (1966) David Hemmings, Vanessa Redgrave, Sarah Miles. Dir: Michaelangelo Antonioni. MGM. C-110 min

_Saturday November 20, 2010_

*Evelyn Keyes Birthday Tribute*

6:00 Here Comes Mr. Jordan (1947) Robert Montgomery, Evelyn Keyes, Claude Rains. Dir: Alexander Hall. Columbia. BW-94 min.

7:45 Ladies in Retirement (1941) Ida Lupino, Louis Hayward, Evelyn Keyes, Elsa Lanchester. Dir: Charles Vidor. Columbia BW-92 min.

9:30 A Thousand And One Nights (1945) Cornel Wilde, Evelyn Keyes, Phil Silvers, Adele Jergens. Dir: Alfred E. Green. Columbia. C-93 min.

11:15 Enchantment (1948) David Niven, Teresa Wright, Evelyn Keyes, Farley Granger. Dir: Irving Reis. RKO. BW-100 min.

1:00 The Prowler (1951) Van Heflin, Evelyn Keyes, John Maxwell. Dir: Joseph Losey. United Artists. BW-92 min.

2:45 99 River Street (1953) John Payne, Evelyn Keyes, Brad Dexter. Dir: Phil Karlson. United Artists. BW-83 min.

4:15 Hell?s Half Acre (1954) Wendell Corey, Evelyn Keyes, Elsa Lanchester, Marie Windsor. Dir: John H. Auer. Republic. BW-90 min.

*A Question of Morality*

THE ESSENTIALS

6:00 Monsieur Verdoux (1947) Charles Chaplin, Mady Correll, Martha Raye. Dir: Charles Chaplin. United Artists. BW-124 min.

8:15 Madame Bovary (1949) Jennifer Jones, Van Heflin, Louis Jourdan. Dir: Vincente Minnelli. MGM. BW-106 min.

10:15 The Bigamist (1953) Joan Fontaine, Ida Lupino, Edmond O?Brien, Edmund Gwenn. Dir: Ida Lupino. The Filmmakers. BW-80 min.

11:45 The Scarlet Letter (1927) Lillian Gish, Lars Hanson, Henry B. Walthall. Dir: Victor Sjostrom. MGM. BW-90 min.

*Somerset Maugham*

1:15 Rain (1932) Joan Crawford, Walter Huston, Frederic Howard. Dir: Lewis Milestone. MGM. BW-93 min.

3:00 Of Human Bondage (1934) Leslie Howard, Bette Davis, Frances Dee. Dir: John Cromwell. RKO. BW-83 min.

4:30 The Painted Veil (1934) Greta Garbo, Herbert Marshall, George Brent. Dir: Ryszard Boleslawski. MGM. BW-85 min.

*Notes*

STAR OF THE MONTH: Barbara Stanwyck

THE ESSENTIALS: Monsieur Verdoux (1947)

SILENT SUNDAY NIGHTS: The Cameraman (1928) & Spite Marriage (1929)

TCM IMPORTS: Maedchen in Uniform (1931)

TCM UNDERGROUND: Blowup (1966)

Movies by year:

1920s- 3

1930s- 27

1940s- 41

1950s- 22

1960s- 1

1970s- 0

1980s- 1

1990s- 0

Anyone actually writing up schedules for the Challenge will be very clever indeed, as usual! That's why I love reading the Challenge entries. It's wonderful to see such differing styles and thought processes. I enjoy _all_ entries from the very serious to the laugh out loud punny. Don't ever stop and don't change your style. You deserve a big round of applause for working it all out.

Good luck to you _brilliant_ folks who are creating schedules in the Challenge this year.

WOO HOO!! I'm all ready with lots of ideas. Can't wait to see what everyone else schedules. I hope we get lots of premieres. And what exciting challenge fo you have in store for us? I'm only too excited!

Nice schedule, MyFavoriteFilms, esp Kaufman, then Hart, then Kaufman and Hart. I hope yours encourages everyone else to give it a try. It's so fun!

MyFavoriteFilms - It's not necessary to use the IMDb for any major studios' classic era films. There are a series of illustrated studio histories that I highly recommend that all TCM viewers try to obtain, or borrow. All except one were published in the U. S. by Crown; those most likely to be of help in the challenge are: "The MGM Story," by John Douglas Eames; "The RKO Story," by Richard B. Jewell and Vernon Harbin (Arlington House); "The United Artists Story," by Ronald Bergan; and

"The Warner Bros. Story," by Clive Hirschhorn. Mr. Hirschhorn also authored volumes in the series

on Columbia and Universal; Mr. Eames also covered Paramount. "The Disney Studio Story" was written by Richard Holliss and Brian Sibley. Each volume covers a studio's history, and especially

(the majority of) its' films in detail.

I just got back from a wedding in South America. That's why no one has heard a peep from me. I will be posting the start date for the challenge very soon.

A few comments. Jayo-thanks for mentioning those books. I find them to be good for inspiration. I often get ideas while perusing them. SansFin-I'm sending a PM to you. My Favorite Films-I'm so glad that you created a very nice schedule but I'm sorry you won't enter the challenge. I agree with Lonesome Polecat-perhaps you will have convinced others to give it a try. Of course, I will have one or two requirements of my own for this challenge. I hope that everyone will have fun.

On another note: imagine my surprise to find that TCM is on television in Cartagena. I turned on the TV (briefly) on four occasions. Here's what was showing: We're No Angels (DeNiro & Penn), Vertigo, Terms of Endearment, and an old episode from TV's Batman, with Eli Wallach, Leslie Parrish and Elisha Cook Jr. Most programs were dubbed in spanish but one had subtitles. I must say, it was rather odd to hear Elisha Cook Jr. speaking spanish. Our U.S. schedule did not show the same things and TCM in Columbia has commercials-lots of weight loss commercials. It made me even more grateful for what we have in the States.

Welcome back from South America, Countess! So good you could be there to celebrate "L'amour, l'amour, toujours l'amour."

When do you anticipate the guidelines for the new challenge will be posted, and about how long will we have to work? I'll be mostly away from computers the second half of this month, but already ideas are starting to take shape. Star of the month could be . . . and another theme could be . . . and how many premieres do I have so far . . . she wouldn't allow us that many.

These challenges are so much fun.

Yes, Countess, dear...

Glad you arrived safely on these shores after your extensive social duties on others.... :)

There are two movies that you did not mention, one under Evelyn Keyes -- Mrs. Mike; and Barbara Stanwyck -- No Man of Her Own. These two films are rarely seen and it too bad as they are good movies.