Sign in to follow this  
ERROL23

You Didnt Like WHAT?

52 posts in this topic

I've never understood the appeal of Random Harvest and though I wanted to like it, Dr Strangelove put me to sleep.

Wow!

To each his / her own.

You all have to be kidding right?

I really have to agree with you about North by Northwest, TCM's favorite movie. Much as I love Hitchcock, I also don't like To Catch a Thief.

How can you not like To Catch a Thief?

Grace Kelly and Cary Grant in Technicolor on the French Riviera, shot by Hitchcock. I could watch that film everyday just for the things I've mentioned above.

Not many Hollywood movies were actually filmed in Europe at that time.

Gee, I like to some degree, every movie mentioned so far...except for West Side Story. Man....perhaps you have to have been a teen aged girl the first time you saw it, or something.

I have a friend who says musicals stink. I said to him one time, well, which one's have you seen? He said parts of West Side Story and Paint Your Wagon. Well, if those were the only two musicals I had seen, I wouldn't like musicals either! ;)

Dr. Stranglove doesn't do it for me either, also alot of mine have the name Elizabeth Taylor in them

A Place in the Sun - no connection there for me at all

Giant - even with Rock Hudson and James Dean still don't get that movie

Some movies are overrated, but Giant is genuinely mediocre, and it gets quite silly by the end.

Without James Dean, East of Eden is a mediocre soap opera. With it, it's still a mediocre soap opera with an astonishing lead performance.

I positively love SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS, DR. STRANGELOVE and HIS GIRL FRIDAY. I agree that GIANT is "genuinely mediocre," as is Edna Ferber's worst book. And I just don't get 2001. Maybe it's my own shortcomings, rather than the film's, but what is interesting about that mess? I'll add APOCALYPSE NOW to the mix. Not a bad movie. I more or less enjoyed it. But good lord! The praise attached to that movie! What did I miss? And the David Lean epics. LAWRENCE OF ARABIA is a good show. It has it's moments. But it's long, plodding and not terribly exciting. Likewise, DR. ZHIVAGO. Give me the Dickens adaptations anytime.

> {quote:title=redriver wrote:}{quote}

> ... I agree that GIANT is "genuinely mediocre," as is Edna Ferber's worst book. And the David Lean epics. LAWRENCE OF ARABIA is a good show. It has it's moments. But it's long, plodding and not terribly exciting. Likewise, DR. ZHIVAGO. Give me the Dickens adaptations anytime.

I have to say I don't believe I've ever liked a film that was based on an Edna Ferber book. I cannot understand why she was so popular. As for post-1960 David Lean, I'm with you there, baby. It seems after that date, everything he made was what I call a "fat" movie - overlong, overproduced, overwrought -and over-rated. David Lean ? He should have changed his name after 1960 and called himself

David Fat.

I don't know if Ferber was a "good" writer or not. There's an awkward point of view, an overly broad scope. But some of the stories are enjoyable, and an exciting slice of Americana. SO BIG won the Pulitzer if I'm not mistaken. I enjoyed one film version many, many years ago. I believe there are two others. I like SHOWBOAT, a look at three generations who share a similar experience. CIMARRON is OK for exactly that reason. If GIANT is her best known, it's simply because it became a movie with beautiful people in it.

I'm one who appreciates her work in drama more than prose. Her collaborations with George S. Kaufman are more substantial and more moving even than Kaufman's fine comedies with Moss Hart. STAGE DOOR turns up on a lot of "Great American Play" lists; DINNER AT EIGHT is so precisely and effectively structured it's almost astonishing. The author had a background in theatre and it paid off.

Although a big fan of THE STING I dislike *BUTCH CASSIDY*. I'm trying to like it but I'm having a trouble. Just... I don't know.

The film OKLAHOMA is not deserving of the great show, but it's better than the attrocious film version of *SOUTH PACIFIC*. That puppy desperately needs to be remade.

(And, Hamradio, that picture ROCKS!!! But I want it to apply to South Pacific)

> {quote:title=LoveFilmNoir wrote:}{quote}

> I just can't stay in my chair long enough to watch and appreciate Dr Strangelove, 2001, or 2010. Maybe I should wear a seat belt in my easy chair.

Nah, you'd fall alseep...

It's on right now - WUTHERING HEIGHTS annoys the heck out of me.

Great choice, clore. I don't like WUTHERING HEIGHTS either. An incessantly repetitive score by Alfred Newman combined with a humorless script by Hecht/Macarthur add up to a miserable experience. I'm glad it wasn't just me.

> {quote:title=CelluloidKid wrote:}{quote}

> LOL..I hated _South Pacific_ (1958)

The color in this film is ridiculous. I still can't believe the director did that thinking it would be helping the film. It looks like something that can onl ybe appreciated after dropping acid, doing shrooms or smoking a magical joint.