Sign in to follow this  
cujas

From Broadway to Hollywood

1,708 posts in this topic

Yay! 100% ! I own the original cast albums of the Brodway productions of Kiss Me Kate and Kismet starring Alfred Drake. Very precious to me.. Good work, Finance- your thread.

Thanks.

Name the performer who fits this chronology.

Became a star on Broadway as a result of a paticular role; THEN, became a star on TV as the lead in a weekly series; THEN, began in films by reprising the Broadway role previously mentioned.

Edited by: finance on Nov 19, 2010 3:39 PM

No. His TV show began AFTER the NO TIME FOR SERGEANTS film.................... The TV show in question WAS a situation comedy, though.

Edited by: finance on Nov 20, 2010 9:57 AM

Dick Van Dyke--

"Bye, Bye Birdie"--Broadway

"The Dick Van Dyke Show"

*Bye, Bye Birdie*--Movie

This Broadway matinee idol came to Hollywood to play an assortment of outstanding roles in horror films. However, he was best known as the major villain in a series of films based on a series of famous mystery stories.

Edited by: cujas on Nov 22, 2010 3:22 PM

What play and film am I talking about?

1950s-------Only one member of the principal original Broadway cast appeared in the subsequent film---------That same individual married another member of the principal original Broadway cast.

Edited by: finance on Nov 23, 2010 6:35 PM

Another hint: The film was shown on TCM within the past year, for the first time either ever or in a long time.

Edited by: finance on Nov 24, 2010 3:57 PM

Still another hint: The film version featured Lloyd Nolan. He was not in the play.

Edited by: finance on Nov 26, 2010 10:33 AM

Edited by: finance on Nov 26, 2010 3:49 PM

Correct. Shelley Winters and Tony Franciosa, who got married, were in the Broadway cast. Only Franciosa from the play was in the film. Your thread.

This lady was the musical comedy star toast of Broadway in the mid-1950's. Unfortunately she didn't get to reprise her Broadway hit in the movies, but she was featured in a 60's movie comedy hit where, ironically, she played a lady who was also the musical comedy star toast of Broadway.

Could it be Julie Andrews, who played Gertrude Lawrence in "Star!"? She didn't get to do the film version of "My Fair Lady", but still won an Oscar for "Mary Poppins" that year.

Miles, I'm going to have to say that you didn't answer my question completely. Re-read the second part, and it will be easy for you.

Cujas, you may be thinking of Carol Channing or somebody else, but Gertrude Lawrence was a big star of Broadway musicals. In the early fifties, she was the original star of "The King And I", so when Julie Andrews played her in the movie "Star", she really was playing an actress who had been the toast of Broadway. Ironically, both Julie Andrews and Carol Channing appeared in "Thoroughly Modern Millie".

'But she was featured in a '60s movie comedy hit where, ironically, she played a lady who was also the musical comedy star toast of Broadway."

Please note that the '50's musical comedy star, subsequently played a musical comedy star in a '60's comedy movie. The movie may have had some songs included, but technically it would not be classified as a musical. And the musical comedy star in question sang no songs in the '60's movie hit.

Edited by: cujas on Nov 30, 2010 5:31 PM