Sign in to follow this  
cujas

From Broadway to Hollywood

1,708 posts in this topic

One last wrap-up for this one:

1) She was a hot musical comedy star on Broadway in the '50's.

2) She co-starred in a big movie comedy hit of the '60's--she played a hot musical comedy star in this movie, but she didn't sing and she didn't dance. There were songs in this movie, but it's not classified as a musical.

3) New and Last clue:

She co-starred in a classic musical comedy movie of the 1950's--where she did, indeed, sing and dance. But, of course, this musical was not a reprise of her Broadway hit.

That's all I've got.

Yes!--And Stereophonic, as an extra tonic, Stereophonic SOUND!

Mudskipper, Good Show!

It's a little ironic because her big Broadway role in "The Pajama Game" (where Shirley MacLaine was discovered) went to Doris Day when it was made into a movie...Then she played that stage star role in the Doris Day movie "Please Don't Eat The Daisies"...

Miles can have the thread, otherwise, it's open....

Well, I don't deserve it, but I'll throw this out there. Actor Hal Linden replaced Sydney Chaplin as the male lead in the Broadway production of "Bells Are Ringing". When the movie was made, Dean Martin had the role and Hal Linden had a bit part. A couple of years later, Linden starred in an off Broadway revival of a well known musical that had once been a Broadway hit and had been adapted for the screen with Bing Crosby as the male lead. What was the name of that musical and who played the female lead in the movie with Bing? This question seems simple enough, but there are a couple of possible answers for the female lead. You'll find that out if you do a little research.

"Anything Goes" ? My guess would be Ethel Merman for the female lead since she does most of the female musical numbers, although Ida Lupino was also in the picture...

Yes, It was "Anything Goes". Ida Lupino was Bing's love interest, but Ethel Merman was the female lead. The movie was remade in the fifties with a different story line, but Bing was back, partnering with Donald O'Connor. The female leads were Jeanmaire and Mitzi Gaynor. Your turn, muddy.

Thanks, Miles...

This popular comedy play was made into a movie while it was still playing on Broadway in 1941. According to the contract, the movie could not be shown until the Broadway run was finished. As a consequence, the movie was not released until 1944...What play and movie was that ?..

Yes, and one of my favorites too...."CHARGE !!!".... (I really shouldn't say that now that my wife is going Christmas shopping...)....Your thread, Cujas.

Believe it or not, this sumptuous movie star started on the Broadway stage, not as a Hollywood starlet. Moving going audiences in the '40's thought of this beauty as the ultimate movie star--yet she is barely remember today by the general public.

But of course, she is much revered by the TCM faithful.

This beautiful movie star appeared in period pieces and romantic dramas. But her most famous film was a mystery.

This gifted actor first appeared on the Broadway stage at age 13 and stayed for about ten years. He was friends with a much older torch singer who advised him not to appear in "Sunset Boulevard" and also "High Noon", although he probably would have been perfect for the parts, especially "High Noon" where I think Cooper was a little too old as a newlywed.. He was nominated three times for a Best Actor Oscar and once for supporting actor......Both singer and actor had to deal with tragedies later...Who were they ?

This is from Broadway to Hollywood and back to Broadway--

2 big stars--orginally came from the stage, of course,

returned to to Broadway after becoming Mega Stars in the Golden Era.

Only problem was that neither liked their plays and walked out before it was expected (by the management.)

Hint--a male star and a female star--they both had contracts at two separate BIG studios.

And can you name the plays?

Edited by: cujas on Dec 23, 2010 3:52 PM

Edited by: cujas on Dec 23, 2010 3:59 PM

Male and female stars

Top studios

In the Top 10 of all Hollywood Stars

Started on Broadway

--real, educated actors