Sign in to follow this  
cujas

From Broadway to Hollywood

1,708 posts in this topic

Brando and the play are both correct.

Nice going, finance. The thread is yours . . .

He was one of the most acclaimed starring male performers in a Broadway musical from the '60's. Of course he won the Tony Award.

After that, he appeared in Hollywood movies with Debbie Reynolds and Natalie Wood.

But in his later years, he was best known for starring in several TV series.

If you know the performer, can you name his top Broadway show and top TV series?

Edited by: cujas on May 14, 2011 5:37 PM

Please see below--this guy went From Top Broadway star to Hollywood in the movies of Natalie Wood and Debbie Reynolds, just to name two. But, helas, he ended up a very big TV star in several series.

This major film actor's first film was a reprisal of his Broadway role, but the film had a different title than the play. Actor? Film title? Play title?

Another hint: The answer to a trivia question in the last 24 hours should be a hint

Edited by: finance on May 23, 2011 4:27 PM

I'm not an authority on Cagney--only Astaire.

Where did you dig this one up?

James Cagney and Joan Blondell appeared on Broadway in "Penny Arcade".

WB bought it and them and retitled it "Sinner's Holiday".

It's been over 25 years since I read Cagney's Autobio--are you reading it now?

Bloody good question!

Edited by: cujas on May 23, 2011 6:49 PM

This actress won the Tony for a leading role in a Broadway play. Then she turned around and several years later won an Oscar for her starring role in the movie adaptation of her Broadway hit.

Several years after that she returned to Broadway in a musical, this time, winning the Tony again. Of course, several years after that she recreated her Broadway musical hit on film. This time she didn't win the Oscar, but the film was memorable none the less.

Pls name the actress and her starring roles on Broadway and in the movies.

The actress in my question won the Tony and the Oscar for the same role. Then she went back to Broadway in a muscial--for which she also won a Tony. Then she reprised the musical on film.

I didn't think that Judy won one, so I checked and found out that the Tony Awards did not begin until 1947, and that plays are only eligible for Tony awards in the year that the production debuts on Broadway, which made Born Yesterday and Judy ineligible for Tonys because the play had debuted in 1946.

That was my problem. I saw no indication that Judy Holliday had won a Tony for "Born Yesterday". Do we go to the Commissioner on this one?