Sign in to follow this  
FredCDobbs

?Murder, He Says?, Oct. 14

109 posts in this topic

Several people have mentioned this rare comedy film in the past couple of years. It?s supposed to be unusual and funny.

10 PM Eastern time, Oct. 14

Murder, He Says (1945)

A pollster stumbles on a family of small-town killers.

Cast: Fred MacMurray, Helen Walker, Marjorie Main, Jean Heather Dir: George Marshall BW-94 mins

Absolutely one of the funniest movies ever made.

I first stumbled on this (back on AMC, I think) with no idea what I'd be seeing except a comedy with Fred MacMurray and Marjorie Main.

You'll probably notice some similarities to Bob Hope's GHOSTBREAKERS in the plotting... and keep your ears sharp for the "All Things Considered" theme...

> {quote:title=HarryLong wrote:}{quote}

> Absolutely one of the funniest movies ever made.

> I first stumbled on this (back on AMC, I think) with no idea what I'd be seeing except a comedy with Fred MacMurray and Marjorie Main.

> You'll probably notice some similarities to Bob Hope's GHOSTBREAKERS in the plotting... and keep your ears sharp for the "All Things Considered" theme...

In the Information, Please! forum here, people have occasionally quoted seemingly nonsense lyrics (sung to that melody "ATC" would later adopt) and asked what film they heard them in, while others wondered what film contained a certain food that glowed. I hope those folks tune in at 10 p.m. ET this Thursday.

I LOVE this movie, and luckily I actually own it on VHS. This was probably one of my favorite movies growing up, we used to watch our 'taped off TV' version of it over and over again. It never got old. Eventually, our ancient and weary copy of the film disappeared...quite a devastation. About a year or so ago I found an actual VHS copy the movie on Amazon, there were only a few copies, and they were very expensive...but I bought anyway. :-) It's just as good as it was when I was kid! ...This contains one of the most hilarious scenes in all of the movies I have ever seen, in my opinion anyway...I won't give it away though, for the sake of those who haven't seen it yet.

Watch it if you can!!

It was shown at crowded screening at the TCM Film Festival last spring. Mike Schlesinger, who helped bring Sony (and the Columbia film library) to the table a few years back to deal with TCM, provided a hysterical intro to the film.

The cinematography is wonderful and the tricks to film the "twins" was quite novel back then.

The idea of a black comedy was in vogue because of the success of *Arsenic and Old Lace*.

Oh, and it was a beautiful print.

Edited by: lzcutter for clarification

I finally gave up on a DVD release for this film and shelled out the bucks for the VHS release as well.

I'm so glad that Robert Osborne is using some of his picks to showcase wonderful films like this one, that are hard to find.

I remember seeing this film on TV, back in the 70s. I thought it was wild! I'm looking forward to seeing it again for the first time in decades.

Mighty Mo,

"There's some fiddle-faddle goin' on here!"

This was one of my favorite gems last spring. I'm glad TCM was able to bring it to us both then and now!

Right you are Iz. This is a little gem that hardly ever sees daylight.Like so many others that fall into the void. I first saw this about 40 years ago and loved it Nobody plays a befuddeled character better then Fred Mac. Main is priceless as the bull whip weilding Mother, Helen Walker, a very under used actress, holds her own as does Peter Whitney. But it's MacMurray's movie and he delivers the goods under George Marshall's fast paced direction....

Rain moved out of western NC this morning so I should be good for MURDER HE SAYS. It was raining (heavily I suppose) during TENSION and knocked off the satellite signal 2/3 through. :(

> {quote:title=sewannie wrote:}{quote}

> Rain moved out of western NC this morning so I should be good for MURDER HE SAYS. It was raining (heavily I suppose) during TENSION and knocked off the satellite signal 2/3 through. :(

Oh dear! It still isn't raining here but I wouldn't mind if it rained here all afternoon and cleared up around 7pm! The rain isn't the problem with the satellite, it's the wind, once it's windy my dish goes bonkers.

*This contains one of the most hilarious scenes in all of the movies I have ever seen, in my opinion anyway...I won't give it away though, for the sake of those who haven't seen it yet.*

Does it involve a dinner table?

*Oh dear! It still isn't raining here but I wouldn't mind if it rained here all afternoon and cleared up around 7pm! The rain isn't the problem with the satellite, it's the wind, once it's windy my dish goes bonkers.*

Hopefully, the wind will stay away from you. I didn't get very much rain, but usually when any comes down hard, the dish misbehaves. I've never noticed the wind to have much impact.

Edited by: sewannie on Oct 14, 2010 12:18 PM

This thread should be very interesting tomorrow when all the people who haven't yet seen this unsung gem start posting their reactions.

*The subject matter was in vogue because of the success of Arsenic and Old Lace.*

The subject matter was in vogue because of the race to be get the Atomic Bomb out . . . WW2 was still raging at the time it was filmed.

I don't know how unsung this movie is, when all here are singing its praises, that even those who've never seen it are aware of it.

One of my all-time favorites which I tried to watch every time it was on Channel 5's Family Film Festival with Tom Hatton (quite often it was).