Sign in to follow this  
ratchbane

a hats off to tcm

10 posts in this topic

i just wanted to say, GOOD JOB! to you at tcm. you have been, and continue to be an excellent tv channel. i have always liked old movies,and have recently enjoyed, the devil bat, and the time machine, and am looking forward to dracula, and earth vs. the flying saucers. i've always felt there's not enough classic sci fi in the world. keep up the good work. (please don't ever turn into amc) thank you. chuck fedel

There are those who'll whine 'bout the small changes that TCM has made, but they're still excellent.

ratchbane, you are right. TCM is the absolute best. I can't tell you how much I am enjoying the Mad About Musicals showings this month. Only TCM can put together something like this. To borrow a line from Cole Porter, they are the top!

ratchbane wrote:

> ...keep up the good work. (please don't ever turn into amc)...

Yes, indeed! ( or should I say "No!" )

If TCM ever went the way of the pathetic AMC, it would be a sad day for all of us here. Very sad! :-(

Indeed it would.

--

iB

I agree with all that's been said about the wonderful presentation TCM has done with musicals this month. One look at what AMC does to films and the poor quality of their signal and they make TCM look like a gem. Sometimes when I see a great film is to be on AMC my immediate reaction is "I wish it was on TCM". I'm thankful this network is around in what seems to be a sea of reality television.

I constantly fear (guess I'm quite the pessimist) that TCM will gradually go the way of cheapest, quickest fast buck, and lose its wonderful unique position in cable/dish television. One reason I fear that is that if it were the terribly lucrative, others would have copied the format by now. Hopefully I'm wrong, and perhaps the MGM/Turner library gives TCM a unique ability to be nicely profitable. Or perhaps good ol' Ted still has the clout to keep it as it is to 'atone' for all his colorizations (he's one of my favorites in the business world, and I don't have many there!) (love Jane Fonda too.. broke my heart when they went there separate ways... back when I lived in Atlanta and was well off enough to have a season ticket package to the Braves, it was great to see them together so often at the ballpark, and Ms. Fonda with her great sequined (sequinned??) Braves cap. Only other celebrities that mattered to me there were the great Senator Wyche Fowler and President Carter, both of whom I'm proud to have shaken hands with).

Arrgh! Sorry for the rambling, but I couldn't resist. Some of us here *are* old and verbose. ;)

Anyway, whether TCM can manage to stick to its great guns or not, figured I should add my thanks to all who are responsible for having given us the best channel on television for 10 years now. Thank you!

Ike

Holy cow! Another reason to love TCM even more, right now they are airing a deleted musical number from The Harvey Girls! I am a very happy girl right now.

So true ike - I agree, but I may be wrong but I don't think Turner owns it any more--So many firms were bought and then re-sold etc...But anyway I think if TCM will survive they will have to buy, license whatever, MORE & different films and please can those 1913 and 1920's flicks. What do U think?

<

Well Leo.....do you really want to know what many of us think? Well I for one think that you are beyond a moron......but that's just my thought; although I know I speak for others.

I personally hate 50's-60's sci-fi. Do I think TCM should "can" them? No....because I happen to believe that certain people love them and who the heck am I? I'm no Leo Bertucelli........I'll tell you that. Thank God!