Sign in to follow this  
Im4movies2

Anarchistic Musicals

7 posts in this topic

It irks me when musicals about a certain era don't adhere to costumes and hairstyles of the era. Many musicals about the 1920's done in the 40's and 50's usually had their actors wearing clothes and hairstyles of the present and not the 20's. Those details where glossed over or forgotten about.

*My Fair Lady* and its silly 60s haute couture-inspired fashions, make-up and hair are another example. Still, I wonder how many are done deliberately. For example, *The Sound of Music*, quite deliberately avoided 30s styles (in which it is set) in favor of 50s styles, because they were trying to give the entire film a very clean, uncluttered, unadorned look. The 1930's dirndls would have been thicker fabrics, which included embroidery and other adornments. They were trying to avoid a fairy tale, operetta look. Even the photography was done in a way to avoid a deep Technicolor look. Colors are real and not manufactured looking. Clean lines permeate the film. That decision is part of the film's on-going, universal appeal.

It irks me when musicals about a certain era don't adhere to costumes and hairstyles of the era. Many musicals about the 1920's done in the 40's and 50's usually had their actors wearing clothes and hairstyles of the present and not the 20's. Those details where glossed over or forgotten about.

This pattern wasn't confined to musicals. Take any period film or western made in any decade (including into the present), and you'll see that costumes, hairstyles and makeup have more to do with then (or now) current styles than the actual period in question. A film set in the 1780s, say, will look different if made in the 1920s, 30s, 40s, 60, 90s, etc. and will look more like the styles of the moment it was made.

One of the reasons for this was the powerful female stars of the studio era. Especially if they were glamorous, they (and their designers) were VERY influential on current fashions by what they wore onscreen. They worked hand in hand with the designers, often vetoing suggestions or costumes outright. They wanted to impress their fans with up-to-the-minute looks, so had their look tailored to not look other than au corrant.

Edited by: Arturo on Oct 23, 2010 12:35 AM

I keep tapping into this thread thinking I'm gonna have to come up with titles of some wild, out-there musicals. IT should be titled: ANACHRONISTIC MUSICALS, not ANARCHISTIC MUSICALS. Don't know if anything can be done about it though.