Sign in to follow this  
Terrence1

What Do They Have in Common?

2,122 posts in this topic

OK, here's a real brain teaser for you. Let's see who's first to come up with the answer. What do the following have in common?: Vanessa Redgrave, Audrey Hepburn, and Twiggy. Good luck!

Terrence.

Besides being European born actresses, they all played parts on film that were originated on stage by Julie Andrews. Twiggy was Polly in "The Boyfriend", Vanessa Redgrave was Guinevere in "Camelot" and Audrey Hepburn was Eliza Doolittle in "My Fair Lady".

Congratulations, Miles Archer. You're absolutely correct. I really thought it might take longer than a few hours for someone to come up with the answer. I'll have another question very soon.

Terrence.

While your working on the next question, Terrence, you and everyone else can try this one. What do actors John Derek, Errol Flynn, and Douglas Fairbanks Sr. have in common? Hint: It involves another actor.

all played 'Robin Hood' (though Derek was son of.....) also Peter Finch, Richard Greene, Russell Crowe & Kevin Costner (+ a whole bunch more)

maybe???

(nah, too easy, right?)

Actually the star that connects all three is Alan Hale...He played Little John to Flynn's and Fairbank's Robin Hood Movies and also to John Derek's "Son Of Robin Hood" movie...

Thanks, mudski. What do these three movies have in common: "The Year of Living Dangerously" (1982), " The Old Dark House" (1932), and "Peter Pan" (1924) ?

"The Old Dark House" was just on TCM on Halloween weekend.

By the way, we have two of these "What Do They Have In Common" threads going right now. Let's get down to one.

They all have females playing male roles...Linda Hunt played Billy Kwan in "The Year of Living Dangerously"; Betty Bronson played Peter Pan in "Peter Pan"; and Elspeth Dudgeon played Sir Roderick Femm, the father, in "This Old House"...

Exactly right, muddy, except that the last title is "The Old Dark House". Peter Pan is traditionally played by a woman. Most of you recall Mary Martin doing a televised version and former gymnast Cathy Rigby toured in the show for several years. Now the question is can you think of female characters played by male actors? Other than Lassie being played by male dogs and drag queen Divine doing some films for John Waters, the only one that I can think of is when the Buckwheat character was first introduced in the Our Gang films, the character was a girl. I believe little Billie Thomas played the character as a girl for just a few films, and then as a boy for the rest of the series.

Your turn now, mudski.

Actors playing female roles ? Well, the first one that comes to mind is Alastair Sims playing the school headmistress in "The Belles Of St. Trinians", one of the best English comedies....

"Destination Tokyo", "Action In The North Atlantic", and "Now, Voyager"...What do they have in common ?

When you just had the first three films listed, I knew they were all made at Warner Bros. during World War II and all featured scenes either on or under the ocean. Somehow I figured that wasn't what you were looking for. Then when you threw in a musical from MGM in the thirties, I started to think of music and lo and behold if that wasn't it. Cole Porter's "Night And Day" is featured in the soundtrack of all four of those films. Of course, it was featured prominently in "The Gay Divorcee" because it was the only song from the Broadway show "The Gay Divorce" to be included in the movie version. "Night And Day" was also the title of the Cole Porter biopic that starred Cary Grant.

You got it...There are at least two more movies with "Night And Day" in their soundtracks, and I was going to keep adding them if nobody got the right answer, but you did...Your thread, Miles.

No they each played famous people in a particular profession...So, you haven't done your research yet, have you ?...And to those three, you can add Christopher Lee..

Edited by: mudskipper on Nov 13, 2010 2:46 AM