Sign in to follow this  
hlywdkjk

M & MS - An Auxiliary Gallery

214 posts in this topic

h3. "Moguls And Movie Stars" Miscellany

Two Posters for Mack Sennett Films Starring Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle.

FickleFattysFall1915

(1915)

Copy of Fatty-and-Mabel-Adrift1916

(1916)

Two Handbills for Social Ills / Exploitation Dramas.

*Damaged Goods* (1914) with Syphillis Subject Matter

DamagedGoods1914_Herald01

DamagedGoods1914_Herald02

(Click Through on Above Images for a Larger, Readable Version. Select "Actions" and "View All Sizes")

----------

*A Man and His Mate* (1915) with Morphine Addiction Subject Matter.

Herald1915_ManAndMate01

Herald1915_ManAndMate02

(Click Through on Above Images for a Larger, Readable Version. Select "Actions" and "View All Sizes")

Two Handbills for Lois Weber Features.

*Betty In Search Of A Thrill* (1915)

Herald1915_BettyThrill_Weber

Herald1915_BettyThrill02_Weber

--------------------

*The Hand That Rocks The Cradle* (1915) - Starring Lois Weber - for Carl Laemmle's Universal Pictures.

Herald1915_HandRocksCradel01_Weber

Herald1915_HandRocksCradel02_Weber

Posters from three Pearl White Serials / "Cliffhangers".

Perils-of-Pauline1914_1cf1a852

(1914)

RomanceOfElaine1915_ep12

(1915)

FatalRing1917

(1917)

The earliest poster is just perfect - you have no choice but to see the picture to find out what happens. Beautiful artwork.

Edited by: JackFavell on Nov 15, 2010 10:20 AM

Theatrical Broadside Poster for an appearance by the Karno Travelling Stage Troupe featuring Charles Chaplin at the Empress Theater, Salt Lake City (ca. 1913)

ChaplinKarnoTour1913LRG

And an early photograph from the same years.

Chaplin_EarlyPortrait

Four Covers for "Motion Picture" Magazine, 1918/1919

MotionPicture1918Sept_coverLRG

MotionPicture1918June_CoverLRG

MotionPicture1918Aug_CoverLRG

MotionPicture1919Oct_CoverLRG

(Click Through on Above Images for a Larger Versions. Select "Actions" and "View All Sizes")

Edited by: hlywdkjk on Nov 16, 2010 6:30 AM

In The Aftermath of "Birth Of A Nation".

*Civilization* (1916) Directed by Thomas Ince

Copy of civilization1916_ver2

Allegorical film about peace. A king starts a war, many of the women are against it, people are pressed into service. A count has constructed a submarine and gets the order to sink an ocean liner, that is also carrying - supposedly - ammunition for the enemy. The count refuses to fire the torpedos, and sinks the submarine. He survives, but in a limbo between death and life where he meets Jesus, who takes him over to preach peace. Naturally the king arrests him and sentences him to death for treason, but then Jesus shows him the real face of war.

*Joan The Woman* (1917) Directed by Cecil B. DeMille

Copy of Joan-the-Woman1917

In World War I an English officer is inspired to fulfill his mission when he finds the decayed sword of Joan of Arc who appears to him in a vision. The story goes back through her leadership of the French Army and her burning at the stake.

*Intolerance* (1916) Directed by D. W. Griffith

Copy of intolerance1916_ver2

Intolerance and its terrible effects are examined in four historical eras. In ancient Babylon, a mountain girl is caught up in the religious rivalry that leads to the city's downfall. In Judea, the hypocritical Pharisees condemn Jesus Christ. In 1572 Paris, unaware of the impending St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre, two young Huguenots prepare for marriage. Finally, in modern America, social reformers destroy the lives of a young woman and her beloved.

6-Sheet Poster for *The Iron Horse* (1924)

Copy of The-Iron-Horse1924

Pressbook Pages featuring Additional Poster Images Created for the Film.

IronHorse_FoxExhibBook1925

Cover and Inside Pages for Movie Weekly Magazine, November 10, 1923

Copy of </p><p> </p><p>MovieWeekly1923Nov10_Cover

Copy of </p><p> </p><p>MovieWeekly1923Nov10_Art01

Copy of </p><p> </p><p>MovieWeekly1923Nov10_Art02

*"Do you have page 26? Please say yes..."* - JackFavell

If I did, I'd be lying. Sadly, I don't have any other pages from this issue.

If I post a selections from a magazine, they are the only pages I have.

I'm so sorry.

Kyle In Hollywood

Oh... thanks Kyle. I wanted to find the rest of the Keaton article. :(

Didn't they know that we would want these magazines intact 87 years later? :)

*"Oh... thanks Kyle. I wanted to find the rest of the Keaton article. Didn't they know that we would want these magazines intact 87 years later? - JackFavell

I don't want you to think I own these magazines or pages. I acquired them from internet surfing. I only have the scans.

I thought they might be interesting - even in a truncated form.

Sorry.

Kyle In Hollywood

Buster Keaton and *One Week* Co-Star Sybil Seely

KeatonBusterSeelySybil_c1920

(Click Through on Above Image for a Larger Version. Select "Actions" and "View All Sizes")

-------------

Pressbook Cover and Poster Advertisement for *Steamboat Bill, Jr.* (1928)

SteamboatBillJr1928_pressbook

Copy of AdArtSteamboatBillJrLRG

Oh, you have outdone yourself here! Were you planning the Keaton pages all along?

That last one of Sybil Seely and Buster on the bike is to die for! She's my favorite of his leading ladies.

Before There Was United Artists, There Was _Artcraft Pictures_

5187329430_2a8980968d.jpg

alt="ArtcraftGroup1917_HartPickfordLaskeyDeMille" />

William S. Hart is welcomed to "Artcraft Pictures" by Mary Pickford, Jesse Lasky and Cecil B. DeMille in 1917.

Artcraft Pictures Corp. was formed August 16, 1916 to distribute films produced by Mary Pickford Film Corp. Artcraft was headed by Walter E. Green until April 15, 1917 when Famous Players - Lasky Corp. purchased them. Zukor made Artcraft a subsidiary of Paramount and Paramount distribution. Besides Mary Pickford films, Artcraft also handled Douglas Fairbanks, William S. Hart and Dorothy and Lillian Gish films by D. W. Griffith.

src="http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4087/5187327864_082497caf6_z.jpg" width="331" height="640" alt="PrideOfTheClanThe1917"

/>

(1917)

src="http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4127/5187329132_8e7dfbc675.jpg" width="341" height="500" alt="Arizona1918" />

(1918)

src="http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1270/5187328484_5a365407aa.jpg" width="450" height="458" alt="TillIComeBackToYou1918_6sht"

/>

(1918)

src="http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4085/5187327030_ddd0619273.jpg" width="339" height="500" alt="Copy of TrueHeartSusie1919"

/>

(1919)

src="http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4028/5163479284_f003bf3848.jpg" width="335" height="500" alt="SelfishYates1918" />

(1918)

*"Oh, you have outdone yourself here! Were you planning the Keaton pages all along?"* - JackFavell

Yes. I had the materials set aside for use at some point. It wasn't until *One Week* premiered last night that I realized Sybil Seely was Buster's co-star in that film. So I thought it was the best time to post it.

Kyle In Hollywood

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}

> *"Oh, you have outdone yourself here! Were you planning the Keaton pages all along?"* - JackFavell

>

> Yes. I had the materials set aside for use at some point. It wasn't until *One Week* premiered last night that I realized Sybil Seely was Buster's co-star in that film. So I thought it was the best time to post it.

>

> Kyle In Hollywood

Well done, Kyle! :)

_Two Posters for the "Screen Snapshots" Short Subject series_

the "Entertainment Tonight" of the early 1920s.

ScreenSnapshots#4_1920

ScreenSnapshots1920s

Edited by: hlywdkjk on Nov 19, 2010 9:17 AM

Cover and Inside Spread from "Movie Weekly Magazine", June 30, 1923

_The William S. Hart Scandal That Wasn't_

MovieWeekly1923_03sml

MovieWeekly1923_04LRG

(Click Through on Above Image for Larger, Readable Version. Select "Actions" and "View All Sizes")

Three Harold Lloyd Posters for Hal Roach's "Rolin Film Company", co-founded by Roach and Lloyd in 1914.

src="http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4092/5190657111_ba0829d491_z.jpg" width="439" height="640"

alt="LonesomeLuke1916LRG" />

(1916)

Hal Roach met Harold Lloyd in 1913 at the Edison Company in San Diego, and when he inherited enough money to begin a small production studio (Phun Philms, soon renamed Rolin), he contacted Lloyd to star in the kind of films he really wanted to make comedies. With a handful of self-produced shorts starring Lloyd, he landed a contract with Pathe, who literally paid Roach by the exposed foot of film! This extremely rare one sheet is from a series Roach directed with Harold Lloyd called the "Lonesome Luke Comedies." An admitted imitation of Chaplin's "Little Tramp" character, the star would abandon this series only a year after this film.

5190650529_2fa41be1af_z.jpg

alt="FollowTheCrowd1918LRG" />

(1918)

Harold Lloyd is menaced by an aggressive knife-thrower while Bebe Daniels tries to protect him on this rare poster for one of Lloyd's early "glasses character" shorts. Lloyd had just given up his "Lonesome Luke" series and created his own unique character.

5191260380_954bb3a8b7_z.jpg

alt="PistolsForBreakfast1919_Lloyd" />

(1919)

This comedy short produced by Hal Roach starred Harold Lloyd, Snub Pollard and Bebe Daniels.

Edited by: hlywdkjk on Nov 19, 2010 7:14 PM