214 posts in this topic

h3. "Moguls And Movie Stars" Miscellany

_Hollywood Studios Enlist in the War Effort_

Walt Disney's "Der Feuhrer's Face" (1942) Materials

WarDisney_DerFeuherersFace1942

Sheet Music Cover

WarDisney_DerFeuherersFace1942_Storyboard

Storyboard Sketch

"The Walt Disney studios produced some memorable cartoons during World War II, which went a long way to boost morale, both overseas and on the home front. The most famous of these was director Jack Kinney's masterpiece, "der Fuehrer's Face", in which Donald Duck dreams he is an assembly line worker in Nazi Germany. This story board was created during the writing sessions by Disney's Victory Unit, and features Donald trying his best to keep up the impossible pace... and still find time to salute every image of Hitler he sees!"

(Click Through on Above Images for Larger Versions. Select "Actions" and "View All Sizes")

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Propaganda Film Shorts

War_CrimeDoesNotPay1942

(1942)

"This Crime Does Not Pay series entry dramatizes the idea that during wartime, people should not discuss anything related to their work when in public. A casual remark can be overheard by an enemy agent and used to sabotage the war effort. In this short, the story involves shipments of parts to a defense plant."

War_PlanForDestruction1943LRG

(1943)

"Documentary. Starring Lewis Stone, Frank Reicher and George Lynn. Directed by Edward L. Cahn. One Sheet for Oscar nominated 22 minute short which detailed the plans the Nazis had for looting the world's monetary system after they "won" the war."

(Click Through on Above Images for Larger Versions. Select "Actions" and "View All Sizes")

Propaganda FIlms from Walt Disney Studios

WarDisney_ReasonAndEmotion1943LRG

Short Subject (1943)

"The Walt Disney Studios produced this propaganda cartoon short and released it in 1943. Beginning as a discourse on how we humans think and reason and how emotions play a part in that process, the plotline quickly changed into an condemnation of the Nazi police state and how its evil machinations had corrupted the judgment of its citizens."

WarDisney_VictoryThroughAirPower1943_hlfshtLRGb

Feature Film (1943) Halfsheet

"This is a unique film in Disney Production's history. This film is essentially a propaganda film selling Major Alexander de Seversky's theories about the practical uses of long range strategic bombing. Using a combination of animation humorously telling about the development of air warfare, the film switches to the Major illustrating how his ideas could win the war for the allies."

WarDisney_EducationForDeath1943

Short Subject (1943)

"Long unavailable for viewing, this anti-Nazi cartoon short made by Walt Disney during World War II is truly disturbing. An incredible portrayal of how propaganda and brainwashing can distort and corrupt a child's mind, this is probably the rarest of the short subject Disney posters printed in the 1940s. After being banned for over 60 years, the cartoon was finally released on DVD in 2004."

Various Studios' Exploitation Propaganda Films

War_HitlersChildren1943LRGb

"Two films came out of Gregor Zimmer's book "Education for Death", the Walt Disney cartoon short and this feature. Bonita Granville stars as an American-educated German girl who refuses to go along with the Nazis' plan to produce a master race. This poster features a whip-wielding S.S. officer and a frightened Granville for what would become the second-highest grossing film of RKO's 1943-44 season."

War_NoneShallEscape1944LRGb

"The career of a Nazi officer shown as flashbacks from his "trial" as a war criminal."

War_HitlerGangThe1944LRGb

"This movie shows us the rise of Adolf Hitler from a small radical political adventurer to the dictator of Germany in the way of a gangster film. Except for some minor inaccuracies, the historical facts are given in a correct way."

War_EnemyOfWomen1944LRGb

"The story of this Monogram movie is loosely based on the life and times of Nazi criminal and German propaganda minister, Joseph Goebbels."

Cover and Inside Spreads from "Screen Guide Magazine", February 1944

ScreenGuide1944Feb_cover

ScreenGuide1944Feb_01

ScreenGuide1944Feb_02

ScreenGuide1944Feb_03

(Click Through on Above Images for Larger, Readable Versions. Select "Actions" and "View All Sizes")

Frank Capra Short Subject Poster

Copy of NegroSoldierThe1944LRG

"In 1944, The U.S. government produced what was arguably the most influential propaganda film to come out of the war,"The Negro Soldier." Joe Louis, the World's Heavyweight Champion, was the centerpiece of the film. Made to counteract the charges of racism and discrimination in the military service, it was designed to be shown to all servicemen, black and white alike, to educate them about the contributions of blacks throughout U.S. history. The film was produced by famed director Frank Capra, and was written by Carlton Moss, who would later become an important figure in African-American independent cinema."

Studio-Related Public "Informational" Posters

WarDisney_WarPoster01

Disney Workplace Motivational Poster

War_WakeIsland1942PromoLRG

Paramount Educational "Timeline" Poster for *Wake Island* (1942)

War_PinUpGirl1944LRG

(1944)

GrableBetty01

Is there a quiz? Seriously, this thread was brilliant. I feel as if I've been as well-schooled by these

posts as I was by the "Moguls And Movie Stars" series. Well done.

*"I feel as if I've been as well-schooled by these posts as I was by the "Moguls And Movie Stars" series. Well done."* - DougieB

Thank you. I can't think of greater compliment I could receive on this thread.

Kyle In Hollywood

This was such a wonderful look at early Hollywood. Thanks Kyle for taking all of the time to put together all of those wonderful images. The latest stuff from WWII was quite enjoyable. Thanks so much!! :D

*"This was such a wonderful look at early Hollywood. Thanks Kyle for taking all of the time to put together all of those wonderful images."* - Scottman

I had to do something with all this "stuff" I had on my hard drive. And "Moguls And Movie Stars" offered the perfect opportunity to share it with everyone.

I didn't expect it to become so far out of sync with the series (tho I never planned to post materials post-1950) but there was just too many things I wanted to post. I am pleased I finally got the chance to post the Exhibitor Books, the Disney Posters and some of the various Personality Posters. (Yes, I still have more of those.) But there are many magazine spreads that got passed over, a series of portraits by George Hurrell "unseen" and even a Christmas Card to Marlon Brando from Clara Bow. Maybe someday.

In the meantime, I forgot to add these items found below. They were part of the original inspiration for this thread and if I don't add them now, I doubt I will ever get to post them.

Thanks for your good words. I am happy you enjoyed it all.

Kyle In Hollywood

--------------------

Stock Posters Promoting Specific Studios and Their Stars

Copy of GoldwynPromo1920s

(1920s)

Copy of LaemmleAnniversaryPoster1923LRGb

(1923)

Copy of Copy of MGMStockPoster1930sLRGb

(1930s)

Copy of WarnerBrosPromoPoster1949LRG

(1949)

(Click Through On Above Images to Access Larger Versions. Select "Actions" then "View All Sizes".)

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}

>

> War_Blitz-Wolf1942

> (1942)

>

That reminds me of the only TV newsman named after a Tex Avery cartoon... ;)