Sign in to follow this  
Im4movies2

Most Beautiful Musical Moments

31 posts in this topic

What are your most magical and beautiful musical moments on film for you? Mine are: 30's- 'Let's Face The Music and Dance" Fred and Ginger in Follow The Fleet 40's- "You Stepped Out of a Dream by Tony Martin in The Zeigfeld Girl.

50's- The ballet with Gene and Leslie in American in Paris.

60's- The Trapp children singing The Sound of Music to the countess.

Everything mentioned is good. Just for dance merit, I love popping in anything by Fosse or Robbins, so "Steam Heat" from The Pajama Game, "Cool", the Prologue, the Dance at the Gym, and "America" in West Side Story, and the bottle dance from Fiddler on the Roof. Goosebumps every time.

For older movies, my #1 = "Moses Supposes" from Singin' in the Rain. I adore this dance!

One of my favorite moments is Gene Kelly and Vera-Ellen dancing to "Slaughter on Tenth Avenue" from "Words and Music." What a team!

Terrence.

I think if we are talking beautiful and moving you have to include the close up of the rose in Gene Kelly's hand in the end of the dream sequence of American in Paris. Beautiful, hauntingly emotional and just plain great!

1. Bob Fosse's early choreography ... but specifically 'Kiss Me Kate'

2. Cyd Charisse/Gene Kelley - Singin' in the Rain "Broadway Melody"

3. Cyd Charisse/Fred Astaire - The Bandwagon "Dancing in the Dark"

4. Frank Sinatra - Pal Joey "The Lady is a Tramp"

5. 'performance' of "Ol Man River" by Caleb Peterson and MGM chorus- 'Till the Clouds Roll By'

there are, obviously so many left unsaid... virginia o'brien, donald o'connor, vera ellen, buddy ebsen, eleanor powell, ann miller, sinatra, crosby, jane russell, jane powell, and on and on the list could go. but i suppose when you must categorize genius, moments spring to mind, and i'm sure it's different for everyone.

Best musicals of all time in my humble opinon.

1. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

2. Kiss Me Kate

3. Sound Of Music

4, Mary Poppins

5. Top Hat

6. Singing In The Rain

7. Brigadoon

8. West Side Story

9. Show Boat

10. Hair

1. Astaire and Cyd in Central Park in BANDWAGON, their breathing a catch by all who watch.

2. Astaire and Rogers in the dance studio, SWINGTIME. Just heaven. You can do on your kitchen floor.

3. R. Fosse as the Snake in LE PETIT PRINCE. Priceless, or, the Magic Bullet, as I put it. You will be revived.

I like Hannah Montana Tv show. it is a fantastic Tv show. i watch all [Hannah Montana episodes|http://hannah-montana.episodesworld.com/] online.it is an musical comedy drama tv show.

June Allyson and the Blackburn twins singing and dancing to "thou swell" in Words and Music. It is a masterpiece!

I love Fred and Ginger - so beautiful, all the time. The best of the best - Cheek to Cheek from TOP HAT, Let's Face the Music and Dance from FOLLOW THE FLEET, and Never Gonna Dance from SWING TIME.

Other than Fred and Ginger, I love the Kelly-Charisse dream segment from the Broadway Ballet in SINGIN' IN THE RAIN and the Kelly-Caron ballet from AN AMERICAN IN PARIS; the title ballet from THE RED SHOES; and Bob Fosse as the Snake in THE LITTLE PRINCE.

I recently put on the DVD of "The King And I" as background while I was cleaning the house. The cleaning came to a complete halt as Lady Chiang (sp?) sang "Love Look Away" and the young lovers sang "We Kiss In A Shadow". Haunting numbers, both of them. I know they're basically transposed from the stage, but that doesn't make them any less compelling to me as cinematic musical moments.

Sid Mark has done an all-Sinatra show on the radio in Philly for many years. He is arguably the greatest expert on Sinatra's music in the U.S. He closes each show with HIS favorite Sinatra song, "I Have Dreamed", from THE KING AND I.

> {quote:title=DougieB wrote:}{quote}I recently put on the DVD of "The King And I" as background while I was cleaning the house. The cleaning came to a complete halt as Lady Chiang (sp?) sang "Love Look Away" and the young lovers sang "We Kiss In A Shadow". Haunting numbers, both of them. I know they're basically transposed from the stage, but that doesn't make them any less compelling to me as cinematic musical moments.

I imagine you mean Lady Thiang sang "Something Wonderful". "Love Look Away" is from FLOWER DRUM SONG. All beautiful songs. My favorite version of "We Kiss in a Shadow" and other Tuptim/Lun Tha songs are from the recording done with John Mauceri and The Hollywood Bowl Orchestra, for Philips (Lea Salonga/Peabo Bryson).

You're absolutely right, of course. I obviously had myself a day watching musicals and got them confused in my enthusiasm. I'll check out the recording you mentioned. Bryn Terfel released a CD called "Something Wonderful" and it was interesting hearing it performed by a man.

Look for the Silver Lining from Till the Clouds Roll By

Something Good from The Sound of Music

He Loves and She Loves from Funny Face

One Alone from Deep in My Heart

Between You and Me from Broadway Melody of 1940

Dear Little Boy from Star

How's that for variety!

OKLAHOMA! of course and just about every song in the show, those voices!! And keeping it simple and sweet.......Silvermoon