Sign in to follow this  
Dominick

Jill Clayburgh has died

21 posts in this topic

How sad is that. From Lukemia. I think of the 1070's and she and Diane Keaton, Sally Field and Madeline Kahn were that eras biggest female stars. Rest in peace. Now my eras stars are going.

When I saw your header,I said out loud, "Oh, no!"

I always liked her, no matter what role she played, even as Carole Lombard in Gable and Lombard.

Amen. I'm shocked and saddened. And old enough that I don't expect that generation to go yet. But this was leukemia. Age has nothing to do with it. Ms. Clayburgh was an actress who could do no wrong. She had a unique quality that elevated a performance beyond mere posturing. The character became so real you could touch her. With due respect to her talented peers, this is the actress I admire from that era. I'M DANCING AS FAST AS I CAN, LUNA, and her tremendous work in AN UMARRIED WOMAN offer a showcase her all too forgettable career overlooks. I miss her already.

HOW AWFUL. Yes, in the 70s's she was an up and coming star. For some reason she didnt really last. (wasnt due to lack of talent). The news didnt even cover this. SAD!

She was only a year older than I am. I was sad to read that she died but glad that she found some personal happiness and had a loving family with her at her end. We so seldom get to read that about stars. May you rest in peace.

Just saw your thread title and am shocked to hear this. I've always liked Jill. One of my favorites of hers is STARTING OVER. There was a t.v. movie from the '70's called HUSTLING, and she was very believable as a streetwalker giving the lowdown on the business to journalist Lee Remick.

No PRETTY WOMAN stuff going on there, lol.

She fit nicely into some light comedies. She WAS good in STARTING OVER, SILVER STREAK. And wasn't she paired with Reynolds again in SEMI-TOUGH?

She was on TV as the matriarch of the Darling family in Dirty Sexy Money as late as last year.

I've always liked Silver Streak.

*Best Jill Clayburgh Films:*

_Silver Streak_ (1976)

_An Unmarried Woman_ (1978)

_I'm Dancing as Fast as I Can_ (1982)

_Shy People_ (1987)

_Running with Scissors_ (2006) ... Agnes Finch ,,,Love her in this role!! She shld have got an oscar nod!!

_Gable and Lombard_ (1976) - Not her best film .. but still interesting to see her play Carole Lombard!

_Where Are the Children?_ (1986) - Good book ...not well adapted to screen! Wasted her talents!

*The one (1) fiilm I would love to see is: _Luna_ (1979)!*

Lunaposter1.jpg

While touring in Italy, a recently-widowed American opera singer has an incestuous relationship with her 15-year-old son to help him overcome his heroin addiction.

Jill Clayburgh her last film role, playing Jake Gyllenhaal?s mother in _Love and Other Drugs_, will be released in two weeks.

Jill Clayburgh as Mrs. Randall

Love_%26_Other_Drugs_Poster.jpg

Here's a question. Should TCM have a retrospective of Jill Clayburgh films, (maybe a couple of her movies not a whole day like Tony Curtis) or are her films to recient for TCM? I think they should but I know alot of posters will disagree with me.

I bet they dont. They probably consider her a contemporary star. I wouldnt mind seeing them though......

How many people think Clayburgh in An Unmarried Woman was better than Jane Fonda in Coming Home for the best actress of 1978? I've seen the former, but not the latter. From what I've seen from movies in 1978, I prefer Liv Ullmann in Autumn Sonata.

Agree about Liv. And she didnt even get a nomination. Ingrid got one. I thought Liv had the more difficult role in that film......